PDA

View Full Version : 7900 + Crazy Green Screen: Inroads to nVidia?

finortis
11-18-07, 04:47 AM
I'm going to make this short and sweet. This issue has been going on since Vista went RTM (which is now 1 year ago). Who has some inroads to nVidia? I'm talking about somebody from this website that can get one of these guys to at least acknowledge that a problem exists and that they're working on it...

I know I have posted a bug report with them, as well as countless others. There are huge threads here as well as on the nzone forum and still not even a single 'this has been a very difficult bug for us to fix, but be aware that we know about it and are working on it.'

Is there anybody who can get them to talk about this?

finortis
01-05-08, 09:29 PM
This is precisely why this issue has never been resolved. Almost 200 people have taken a look, there are countless threads on various forums all saying the same thing....

I guarantee the main reason why this has gone nowhere is that most people are more willing to just buy a new card rather than complain to nVidia about fixing this.

CaptNKILL
01-05-08, 11:07 PM
This isn't an nvidia forum. It's a fan site. If no one responds to your post its most likely because they have nothing to add, not because nvidia is ignoring you.

Personally, I've never heard of a green screen problem with 7 series cards in Vista.

In fact, I don't even know what a green screen is. I've never seen one.

ikjadoon
01-05-08, 11:16 PM
Ditto what the Captain just said. Even on nVidia's forums, however, you don't get a "from-nVidia" post on some issues, like the black screen during loading.

Gets you pissed that they are even thinking about the 9800GX2.

~Ibrahim~

CaptNKILL
01-05-08, 11:30 PM
Gets you pissed that they are even thinking about the 9800GX2.

Well, in their defense, it doesn't make much sense to stop development of a new line of cards to fix a bug that most people don't even know exists. There really aren't any reasons to stop development of new products.

ikjadoon
01-06-08, 09:41 AM
I see what you mean, but it almost makes you feel a bit neglected. I mean, I haven't had a bad nVidia/Vista issue since I got the latest WHQLs, but when I was in serious sh!t, I almost wanted to kill them. I'm sure countless others can relate.

I'm not saying they should stop all production to fix this one bug, but I'm just saying this isn't the only one that is quite common, but ignored. For all I know, they could be working nonstop every day, 90 hours a week on this issue, but we just don't get any news, so I assume the worst. And when you see leaked photos of the 9800GX2...

~Ibrahim~

finortis
01-27-08, 11:19 AM
BTW, I went out and bought a new 8800 512MB GTS around 3 weeks ago. Guess what? Not a single problem with Vista using the exact same hardware. Bear in mind that the issue I spoke of could be reproduced using either 7900 card solo or in SLI. I knew then that something was borked in the hardware and I believe this proves it (works in 2000/XP/X64, fails in Vista using multiple cards, next gen. works fine using same hardware). I also had one of the new ATI cards for 1 day (that was a disaster, FYI) and didn't have any lost monitor signal issues either.

And if you were to head over to the driver forum on nZone, you would see this one monster thread dedicated to this issue and countless people that have reported a bug to nVidia with zero reply. I was absolutely convinced that this was an issue down at the hardware level and I'm reasonably confident that this is the case.

The fact that 1 known driver exists (152.xx and never officially released) that does not reproduce the issue leads me to believe that they took a crack at fixing it a long time ago...but this fix did not 'stick' because it likely created other side effects. I have been supporting these guys for years and, thankfully, throwing a couple hundred bucks at a new card is insignificant for me...but I know this is definitely not the case for all and, at the end of the day, nVidia should at least have come out and stated the problem and why it could not be fixed.

Viventis
01-28-08, 01:00 PM
I have a 8800GT 512 with the latest WHQL driver (169.25?) and i got a solid olive green screen while playing BF2142 over the weekend. After doing an "alt-tab", the screen was all black. Reboot was needed. I just attributed it to heat because I had forgotten to boost my fan speed with Riva Tuner. Is that what you were alluding to?

finortis
01-29-08, 02:01 AM
Sounds similar...however, what I'm describing is guaranteed to happen whenever you start any game. Actually, it happens whenever transitioning from the desktop into a game. Furthermore, with regards to heat, I even tried down-clocking the core and memory and it never 'fixed' it.

Like I said, there exists only 1 driver that nVidia has ever released over the last 13 months that allowed you to use it for gaming. Using a driver other than this magical 152.x driver results in the crazy green screen.

Goran
02-02-08, 07:15 AM
I have tested this with a 7900GT (Asus) and it did not show this problem, however Gainwards 7950GT got this error each time I changed resolution. All tested on Vista. To be a sure I tested it on two motherboards, a P5B Deluxe and a Asrock Dual Vista, but the same crazy green screen appeared on both.

I read somewhere that this was driver bug connected to non stock memory speed. Ig you lower the memory speed by 5Hz it's all fine again. Weird things...