PDA

View Full Version : Samsung 226BW owners? I Need advice.

ryan29121
11-19-07, 08:16 PM
I am highly considering this monitor from the high number of good reviews I saw on Newegg and various other places. But, then I was searching maximumpc.com (A magazine which reviews I highly respect) and they gave it a 7/10 rating which isn't too good for maximumpc standards. I was researching it a bit more and I learned that Samsung was outsourcing their products to different countries and therefore resulting in a lower quality product. Their original Samsung manufacturing plant in South Korea was the only one I hear making the "proper" monitors. Other plants in Mexico and China were the ones making the ones that were not as good as the samsung plant in N. Korea.

The product tag on the back of the monitors mention a letter corresponding to the country in which they were manufactured. (upper right hand corner)

S = South Korea
A = Mexico
C = China

I was wondering if any of you heard of this or have seen a difference in monitors?

mullet
11-20-07, 12:51 AM
I got one and yes I have a C model, DO NOT BUY IT. I am willing to bet you would get a C like me. The S model is the really nice one that samsung got all the good reviews with then they switched over to the A model it was ok after a few tweaks with a professional made color profile. The C is the worst and the amount of crap I went through to get the color right just pissed me off. I got my wife a dell UltraSharp 2007WFP and its night and day better then my 22". The Samsung has horrible backlighting and the color had a nasty blue hue on everything, with a color profile I got off the net it made it a lot better but owell I will just live with it.

EDIT: I just saw this at dell pretty nice. DELL ULTRASHARP 2208WFP $339
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6107

ryan29121
11-20-07, 08:00 AM
Im going to be playing alot of video games but i was wondering if that dell monitor would play it that well being that it has 5ms of response. isn't that a little high for video games?

EciDemon
11-20-07, 10:07 AM
I play my 360 on my 22" puter monitor with 5ms respons, works very very well, no noticable ghosting. Contrast could have been a tad bit better but I guess thats LCD and the sacrifice. What gets me more is the lack of native 16x10 support on the 360. Forza 2 dont look all that good in 16x10 using a 16x9 resolution, and 4x3 is out of the question.
My monitor is not a Samsung tho and is prolly worse in color management as it was cheaper but I dunno now when I see there are Samsungs and Samsungs .... It's a Packard Bell Maestro 220wdv, i manly picked that one for its two vga inputs besides the dvi. According to reviews it was above average in it's class.

j0j081
11-21-07, 09:52 AM
you guys have it all wrong. the designation A, C, or S has nothing to do with Samsung outsourcing to dif countries. All 226bws are manufactured by Samsung. The A, C, and C stand for the lcd panel manufacturer. Samsung (at least when the monitor was first released) couldn't produce enough 22 inch panels by themselves so they contract other lcd manufacturers to help them make the panels using Samsungs specs. The main problem that occured was not all the panels are calibrated the same out of the box. Samsung "S panels" are calibrated to perfection whereas the other two need some adjusting. A few months ago though after receiving a lot of complaints Samsung apparently started producing all the panels for the 226bw themselves again, probably now that demand has dropped off a bit. Samsung is NOT the only company to do this. Dell has done it to for example. If you are that upset with the one you've received, say it is a C panel pulled from old stock you can return it where you bought it or create an online RMA request through Samsung's website. They will send you a brand new display if you truely have a legitmate comlaint with yours. The new one will be the most recent manufactured supposedly an S panel. It's pretty easy to find info about this on google. Here is perhaps the best explanation of the situation.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

mullet
11-21-07, 12:54 PM
A third version of this screen has also just appeared in Asia and the US, the C, which stands for CMO. This manufacturer isnt too well known for the quality of its panels, or none have really impressed us as much as the S series 226BW.

I call this bait and switch, get customers all excited about the S panel then throw them the **** C panel. Thanks to this guy (http://www.andrewswihart.net/blog/review-samsung-226bw-lcd-c-panel) on the net it helped enough for me to just keep it and not bother with shipping it back but if I had it to do all over again NO WAY.

Blasphemer
11-23-07, 01:28 PM
I have the 226bw and I'm very happy with it. I don't do any high level photo editing though and just use it for mostly gaming and surfing, so maybe i wouldn't notice anyway.
And if you are that bothered about colour standards and correctness why are you using a TN type LCD?
I was more bothered about gaming, and the 2ms response time gives it the win.

mullet
11-23-07, 09:11 PM
I have the 226bw and I'm very happy with it. I don't do any high level photo editing though and just use it for mostly gaming and surfing, so maybe i wouldn't notice anyway.
And if you are that bothered about colour standards and correctness why are you using a TN type LCD?
I was more bothered about gaming, and the 2ms response time gives it the win.

I can live with it not being perfect. Its a 300.00 monitor no brainer but when everything has a horrid blue hue then that tells me who ever calibrated it from the factory was drunk when they were at work. I have a good working profile now its ok now but the backlite issue is bad.

Blasphemer
11-24-07, 02:53 PM
I can live with it not being perfect. Its a 300.00 monitor no brainer but when everything has a horrid blue hue then that tells me who ever calibrated it from the factory was drunk when they were at work. I have a good working profile now its ok now but the backlite issue is bad.

Yeah i must say I don't have the issues you are having, but if i did it would be annoying.