PDA

View Full Version : Thermalright CPU heatsinks

Pages : [1] 2 3

Niot
11-20-07, 06:53 PM
Are there any that doesn't require you to sand off a part of the base?

crainger
11-20-07, 07:12 PM
??

Which ones require you to sand the base?

Niot
11-20-07, 07:19 PM
??

Which ones require you to sand the base?
Actually when I checked it's lapping, not sanding.

Their bases are convex so I heard that they need to be lapped. Do they make any that doesn't require lapping?

crainger
11-20-07, 07:20 PM
They don't need to be lapped. I haven't lapped my 120 Ultra and it performs great. You will of course get better performance if you take the time to lap it.

Niot
11-20-07, 07:23 PM
They don't need to be lapped. I haven't lapped my 120 Ultra and it performs great. You will of course get better performance if you take the time to lap it.
What temps are you getting?

crainger
11-20-07, 07:26 PM
Idle around 30C. Under load 40C, 50C if it's a game that uses all four cores.

Niot
11-20-07, 07:31 PM
Wait, isn't lapping the same as sanding?

crainger
11-20-07, 07:38 PM
It is. But Lapping is far more refined. Basically you start of rough and work up till you are at a really fine grade and more or less polish it to a mirror finish. You can also lap the CPU itself for even better cooling.

Just make sure you know what you are doing. You can wreck things of you go overboard.

Niot
11-20-07, 07:40 PM
I can actually damage the hardware? Nevermind then.

Which brand makes heatsinks that doesn't need lapping?

crainger
11-20-07, 07:41 PM
Thermalright. Seriously they don't need lapping.

Other than that you can't go wrong with Zalman.

Niot
11-20-07, 07:44 PM
Thermalright. Seriously they don't need lapping.

Other than that you can't go wrong with Zalman.
Why do everyone say that they do?

Which Zalman heatsink is good?

Do all other brands make uneven bases?

Revs
11-20-07, 07:49 PM
Are we talking CPU or GPU here, cos if it's CPU this thread is in the wrong section :p

EDIT: Sorted :)

john19055
11-20-07, 07:51 PM
You do not need to lap a Thermalright for it to work ,most sites that do a review does not lap it ,It just some believe that a rough surface is better because the thermal paste will work better and others believe that the smoothest surface it better ,It just depends on the person.If Theralright thought there product would work better by being smooth then it would be smooth.

crainger
11-20-07, 07:54 PM
Why do everyone say that they do?

Which Zalman heatsink is good?

Do all other brands make uneven bases?

They are just fussy, or perhaps received a cooler with a manufacturing fault. Mine works great stock straight from the box.

The Zalman CNPS9700 is a pretty good cooler.

methimpikehoses
11-20-07, 07:54 PM
Wait, isn't lapping the same as sanding?

Sanding = smoothing, i.e. wood
Lapping = polishing, i.e. metal or gemstone

crainger
11-20-07, 07:55 PM
Are we talking CPU or GPU here, cos if it's CPU this thread is in the wrong section :p

It is the wrong section, but it'll be moved. No point in not helping just because it's in the wrong part.

So everyone hold one for the move!

Niot
11-20-07, 11:08 PM
It is the wrong section, but it'll be moved. No point in not helping just because it's in the wrong part.

So everyone hold one for the move!
For the IFX-14, is the backside cooler necessary?

So lapping those doesn't make much of a difference right?

Between the Ultra120, IFX-14, SI-128 SE, which one should I choose?

crainger
11-21-07, 02:12 AM
For the IFX-14, is the backside cooler necessary?

So lapping those doesn't make much of a difference right?

Between the Ultra120, IFX-14, SI-128 SE, which one should I choose?

The backside cooler isn't needed, but would help if you can mount it.

Lapping DOES make a difference, usually around 1-5C at the most, however it IS NOT needed for great results.

Choose which ever one suits you the best. If you have the room the IFX can actually be had cheaper than the 120 they perform about the same. If you want the simple tried and true solution. The Ultra 120 is hard to beat.

mythy
11-21-07, 02:50 AM
crainger mate whats your cpu at? I don't mean to bust on you but 1-5C temp drop from lapping a 120 is so not true :p I got a 9C drop from lapping mine!

The reason why people say to lap the 120 is due to the chip layout of quad cores. Thermalright intentionally warps the bottom of there heat sinks so that the center is making full contact with the CPU center. Back when the 120 first came out there was alot of single core cpu's and the center was the key contact point. with quads tho its a different story all together and the sides are now important as well. I look at it this way, I am paying at least $50 dollars for a heat sink so it better be performing 100% for my CPU and it simply doesn't. A quality lap job can get you down 9C if you do the CPU as well and don't mes it up. Were talking about the perfect lap! Most users wont see such a drop simply due to lack of skill/time/or patients. It took me 3 tries to get mine right! My load is now 49C on a 3.4GHz QUAD!!! I doubt any one else here can claim that using a thermalright 120 Extreme with a silent 120mm fan. Before my lap I was at 58-62 under full load and that is just to hot for my $300 dollar CPU so I lapped it.

Now every one has there safe zone with temps mine is mid 50's most are 65C max it all depends on the individual. Personally I thought it was fun lapping a cpu and a great learning experience. For maybe it wouldn't be. Just get the 120 and if you latter feel like giving it a try then lap it. But its fine the way it is just not the best it can be. Not even close!

Revs
11-21-07, 03:28 AM

I just looked in the thread hoping it was about 8800GT coolers. I Know nothing about Thermalright CPU heatsinks :D

Niot
11-21-07, 10:50 AM
The backside cooler isn't needed, but would help if you can mount it.

Lapping DOES make a difference, usually around 1-5C at the most, however it IS NOT needed for great results.

Choose which ever one suits you the best. If you have the room the IFX can actually be had cheaper than the 120 they perform about the same. If you want the simple tried and true solution. The Ultra 120 is hard to beat.
Is that backside cooler the same as the backside cooler for the video card?

mythy
11-21-07, 01:56 PM
no not even close ;)

Niot
11-21-07, 02:00 PM
So what's the difference between the IFX 14 and Ultra 120 and the SI 128-SE?

Which one is better?

Do ALL thermalright need lapping? Are there any that don't?

You said lapping is needed for quad cores, but I have a dual core, so does that need lapping as well?

DRen72
11-21-07, 02:22 PM
crainger mate whats your cpu at? I don't mean to bust on you but 1-5C temp drop from lapping a 120 is so not true :p I got a 9C drop from lapping mine!

The reason why people say to lap the 120 is due to the chip layout of quad cores. Thermalright intentionally warps the bottom of there heat sinks so that the center is making full contact with the CPU center. Back when the 120 first came out there was alot of single core cpu's and the center was the key contact point. with quads tho its a different story all together and the sides are now important as well. I look at it this way, I am paying at least $50 dollars for a heat sink so it better be performing 100% for my CPU and it simply doesn't. A quality lap job can get you down 9C if you do the CPU as well and don't mes it up. Were talking about the perfect lap! Most users wont see such a drop simply due to lack of skill/time/or patients. It took me 3 tries to get mine right! My load is now 49C on a 3.4GHz QUAD!!! I doubt any one else here can claim that using a thermalright 120 Extreme with a silent 120mm fan. Before my lap I was at 58-62 under full load and that is just to hot for my $300 dollar CPU so I lapped it.

Now every one has there safe zone with temps mine is mid 50's most are 65C max it all depends on the individual. Personally I thought it was fun lapping a cpu and a great learning experience. For maybe it wouldn't be. Just get the 120 and if you latter feel like giving it a try then lap it. But its fine the way it is just not the best it can be. Not even close!Curious...define "loaded" in this case. What did you use to fully load your CPU when you tested the max temperature? Just curious.

mythy
11-21-07, 03:18 PM
OCCT :p Temps were monitored with core temp and everest ;)