PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX in SLI...best cooling solutions?

anthonyl
11-20-07, 10:20 PM
Now that I have 2 8800GTX's in SLI I was wondering what the best cooling solution would be (bear in mind I have an Asus P5N32E SLI board with one of the PCI slots taken up with an X-Fi music card)?

I have seen the Thermalright HR-03 and was wondering if I could mount 2 of them and still keep the x-fi card?

Are there alternatives (apart from water)?

agentkay
11-20-07, 10:34 PM
In theory two TR-HR03+ heatsinks can be mounted because there are two way to mount them with the heatsink hanging off bottom side of one card and off the top side of the other card. I don't know the dimensions and distances of your board, northbridge heatsink and CPU heatsink and finally the distance between the lower GTX and your X-Fi card. Without these values it's quite a big gamble.

Another option would be to test how "hot" your cards run with the stock heatsink. Mine was running too hot because a far too thick layer of thermal paste was used and while I don't think that I could have archived such drastic improvements without the HR03, I do believe that the stock heatsink with the proper amount of AS5 on the core had reduced my temperatures by 5 degrees or maybe even more.

I would also add a 120mm fan to the right side of the cards and open all rear case slots to improve airflow and possibly one more to the sidewall/window near the cards.

anthonyl
11-20-07, 10:36 PM
snip.

Thankyou for that well worded answer..Thankyou..I will try your suggestions first...failing that..I will consider going with a water cooling setup..such as the Zalman ZM-GWB8800 VGA waterblocks...they seem quite slim.

LBJM
11-22-07, 01:40 AM
get the EK full cover water blocks they are single slot and copper. I have one.
http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekgtxfucowaf.html
and you can get a single slot bracket for each card
http://www.petrastechshop.com/88sislpcibr.html

HeavyH20
11-22-07, 02:07 AM
What temps do your cards run at idle and load? Just curious how effective those waterblocks are.

LBJM
11-22-07, 07:29 PM
idle 38C load 41C.

I have the gpu on it's own loop.

anthonyl
11-22-07, 10:09 PM
I was thinking about watercooling JUST the 2 video cards....what would you suggest for those? (Need a bit of a parts list)..please...

DenXP
11-24-07, 04:46 PM
I was thinking about water cooling JUST the 2 video cards....what would you suggest for those? (Need a bit of a parts list)..please...

water cooling should be much better! try the zalman one!

LBJM
12-01-07, 07:22 PM
I was thinking about watercooling JUST the 2 video cards....what would you suggest for those? (Need a bit of a parts list)..please...
try reading the information here
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Niot
12-01-07, 08:32 PM
Thankyou for that well worded answer..Thankyou..I will try your suggestions first...failing that..I will consider going with a water cooling setup..such as the Zalman ZM-GWB8800 VGA waterblocks...they seem quite slim.
What about the zalman vf1000? It's cheaper and still good.

Amuro
12-01-07, 09:50 PM
I see you have a Stacker case. Which one is it? If it's the 830 series, you can easily add 120mm fans on the side with the fan bracket.