PDA

View Full Version : This Conspiracy Theory Just Became Fact ( QX9650 ).

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

varrius
11-21-07, 10:33 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Jury has reached their verdict.

It is to be known now that the 680i will NOT support the QX9650. EVGA has made a forum announcement that nvidia's 680i will not support this product.

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016&mpage=1&key=𨱨

The only 45nm chip that the 680i will run is the wolfsdale dual-core.

NOTE: Since the 680i is manufactured by nvidia and put on boards like the striker, etc, it is highly likely that all asus 680i boards will not support this chip, either.

DRen72
11-21-07, 10:47 AM
I saw that. Looks like a lot fo 680i owners are upset over it. I guess I would be too.

methimpikehoses
11-21-07, 01:24 PM
that's teh suck!

CaptNKILL
11-21-07, 02:02 PM
They aren't supporting it officially but some people are saying they run...

varrius
11-21-07, 02:10 PM
They aren't supporting it officially but some people are saying they run...

Sure, mine will post, but I can't move the multiplier and it won't load into windows. So, unless you like sitting in BIOS, it's not working.

DRen72
11-21-07, 02:12 PM
Sure, mine will post, but I can't move the multiplier and it won't load into windows. So, unless you like sitting in BIOS, it's not working.:(
What methimpikehoses said.

a12ctic
11-21-07, 02:51 PM
Everyone saw this coming, the LGA775 is one of the ****tiest platforms ever. Seriously, everyone complains about the 754-939-am2 socket changes. But seriously, LGA775 is ALWAYS broken, the conroes didnt work in the original 775 boards, then the quads didn't work in a large amount of them, and now this series wont work. At least I know that when I buy a chip for my s939 board it will work.

methimpikehoses
11-21-07, 02:57 PM
Everyone saw this coming, the LGA775 is one of the ****tiest platforms ever. Seriously, everyone complains about the 754-939-am2 socket changes. But seriously, LGA775 is ALWAYS broken, the conroes didnt work in the original 775 boards, then the quads didn't work in a large amount of them, and now this series wont work. At least I know that when I buy a chip for my s939 board it will work.

Mine works.

DRen72
11-21-07, 03:21 PM
Everyone saw this coming, the LGA775 is one of the ****tiest platforms ever. Seriously, everyone complains about the 754-939-am2 socket changes. But seriously, LGA775 is ALWAYS broken, the conroes didnt work in the original 775 boards, then the quads didn't work in a large amount of them, and now this series wont work. At least I know that when I buy a chip for my s939 board it will work.The 775 chips work fine, this issue is an nVidia one. Failing to support a sought after CPU on their most popular board. Not good.

DiscipleDOC
11-21-07, 03:24 PM
Is that your way of feeling better about your substandard pc?

I've had both--AMD 6000+ and I have a Q6600 system, and I can tell you from experience that my system runs MUCH better than my 6000+ system did. Even at 2.4 GHz, my quad could run rings around AM2+ setup.

You really need to be careful of making statements like this.:rolleyes:

Riptide
11-21-07, 03:26 PM
You really need to be careful of making statements like this.:rolleyes:
Wasted. Breath.

CaptNKILL
11-21-07, 03:57 PM
Wow, where the hell did that come from?

LGA775 is nothing but a socket. Chipsets control the CPUs they support. As CPUs come out, the chipsets are made to support them.

Without a time machine there is no such thing as forward compatibility (ie, making a chipset that works with CPUs that haven't even been created yet). While an Intel CPU may be limited to running on the latest chipsets, AMD creates new sockets so often that they never have to worry about being compatible with future products.

None of their sockets were active anywhere near as long as LGA775, which has been around for 3 1\2 years. Socket 939 was active the longest at just under 2 years.

939 was a damn nice platform, as are any other AMD platforms (except for maybe socket 754 which was pointless and under performing), but some times I have to wonder if you even think about any of this stuff before you start barfing out one of these anti-Intel posts. :p

a_big_burger
11-21-07, 04:10 PM
a12ctic:

I think you need to remove the following from your signature. It has been there for almost 1.5 years and it is still not true :) I hoped it would be true but .... AMD really has some serious catch up work to do. Every message from you is against Intel. Why so much hatred? :headexplode:

K10 :nutkick: C2D

Change to

C2D :super:

nekrosoft13
11-21-07, 04:21 PM
a12ctic:

I think you need to remove the following from your signature. It has been there for almost 1.5 years and it is still not true :) I hoped it would be true but .... AMD really has some serious catch up work to do. Every message from you is against Intel. Why so much hatred? :headexplode:

Change to

very true

sammy sung
11-21-07, 04:28 PM
a12ctic:

Change to

Well you surely MUST know by now that AMD/ATI cares about people on a personal level and that the evil Intel+Nvidia just wants to empty your pockets :rolleyes:

DRen72
11-21-07, 05:34 PM
read up on the issue before you post dude. . .Varrius jumps to conclusions but at least he has the concept right of who is holding back a bios for this cpu and chipset. The mobo companies need the microcode.
So basically you're saying Intel is holding back from nVidia? :p If thats the case, I find that funny given the SLi issue. Guess Intel played the same card.

Madpistol
11-21-07, 06:07 PM
Wow... No Q9xxx for me I guess. There is a new motherboard in my future... somewhere... :( A lot of people that were planning to SLI on the fastest Quad Core on the market are going to hate this.

As for a12ctic, don't pay attention to him. He's just trying to satisfy his AMD fanboyism because a few people that want to have SLI rigs on the newest Quad's aren't going to be able to (yet). As for AMD, they have so many problems right now that a12ctic is in no position to start bashing people with 680i's.

But then again, AMD is coming out with "TRUE" Quad Core CPUs. ;)

Xion X2
11-21-07, 06:18 PM
I seriously doubt that eVGA will be the only 680i vendor not be compatible w/ 45nm. And I don't necessarily think this is all Intel's doing, either. I think Nvidia wants to sell even more chipsets, so they make them compatible with only their new motherboard line.

They can have them both. They both suck until proven otherwise.

Dual Core Joe
11-21-07, 08:06 PM
So bummer for us. When is the next series of mother boards that WILL support that chip coming out already??? Damn it.:captnkill:

$n][pErMan
11-21-07, 08:45 PM
lol... happy I went with the Intel 965 chipset :D As far as im aware of, depending on the motherboard a BIOS flash gives you support of the new CPU's :)

MUYA
11-21-07, 09:05 PM
read up on the issue before you post dude. . .Varrius jumps to conclusions but at least he has the concept right of who is holding back a bios for this cpu and chipset. The mobo companies need the microcode.
It may require more than a micro code...but you are correct that there is more to it than it seems. I think if I read it correctly at Fud or Inkwell....the story goes Intel are not giving NVIDIA details on penryn etc that will allow i680 to support it because NVIDIA won't give them the SLI license etc. All rumours but plausible.

einstein_314
11-21-07, 09:41 PM
When you buy a chip for your s939 board? s939 is dead. You can't buy them anymore. (I tried and failed). I loved s939 and hated it when AMD went to the AM2 socket. Ruined my upgrade plans that's for sure. Oh well. It happens.

I'm perfectly happy with my Q6600 for now. And I believe the my board (P5B-deluxe) will support the new chips with a simply bios update. I love this mobo. Best motherboard I've ever owned. Hands down.

Xion X2
11-21-07, 09:53 PM
It may require more than a micro code...but you are correct that there is more to it than it seems. I think if I read it correctly at Fud or Inkwell....the story goes Intel are not giving NVIDIA details on penryn etc that will allow i680 to support it because NVIDIA won't give them the SLI license etc. All rumours but plausible.
If that's the case, though, then how can eVGA claim that 7-series will support them?

To me, that suggests that maybe Nvidia has the microcode already and just refuses to implement it on 6-series chipsets.

Mr_LoL
11-21-07, 10:19 PM
Chuckles at a12ctic's computer. Resident Amd fanboy is still running around with an Athlon 64 3000.

Amuro
11-21-07, 10:23 PM
If that's the case, though, then how can eVGA claim that 7-series will support them?

To me, that suggests that maybe Nvidia has the microcode already and just refuses to implement it on 6-series chipsets.
Asus listed their upcoming 750i/780i SLI boards as 45nm Dual-core ready only:
http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/
So we don't really know if 700 series will support the Yorkfields until it's out.