PDA

View Full Version : How important is monitor response time in gaming?

ryan29121
11-21-07, 11:51 PM
I'm building a new gaming computer soon and going to pick up a new monitor with it. I was wondering how important is the response time in gaming? I was looking at two monitors one with a 5 ms response and the other with a 2 ms. How big of a difference is there between those two settings? Also which are the most important features in a monitor to look at if you plan to play video games on it. I really want a 24" monitor and i was wondering which monitor you think I should get? $450 is probably the most I am willing to spend on a monitor. I have been looking at a few.

Samsung 245BW 24"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001234&Tpk=245bw

Samsung 2232BW 22"

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8439442&st=2232bw&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1183160137115

Acer P241W 24"

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=193737&WT.mc_n=3&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=CNET&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=3

Thanks in advance for your help picking out a monitor.

SLippe
11-22-07, 12:21 AM
If you can afford it (and I were you) I'd get the 24" Samsung. :thumbsup:

Rakeesh
11-22-07, 12:27 AM
I would say any response time below 8ms is good. Beyond that, just go for the one that has the bigger size and higher contrast ratio.

ryan29121
11-22-07, 09:14 AM
any of you heard any bad things about that acer monitor? any good things?

GeeeEighty
11-22-07, 09:25 AM
any of you heard any bad things about that acer monitor? any good things?

Bang for the Buck is where Acer shines. Supposed to be really really nice monitors for the $$$.

Go over to newegg.com and see that it has won a few awards.

ryan29121
11-22-07, 09:48 AM
newegg currently doesn't have that monitor available. I was just wondering because tomorrow they are knocking that monitor down to $370 at staples and if it was a good one i was going to pick it up. For an extra $30 would you get the samsung 245bw?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001234&Tpk=245bw

EciDemon
11-22-07, 09:56 AM
Friend of mine got an older 19" acer, nice colors and respons (dunno the specs of it). Only downside with that one is there is no dvi.

ryan29121
11-22-07, 10:05 AM
yea it looks really nice but I'm just not sure about acer. I'm a quality freak so I really like to research everything extensively before i buy it. Is there any review site that you would recommend for reviewing monitors that you really trust?

EciDemon
11-22-07, 10:17 AM
Personally I dont have any favorite hardware review sites, i usually google [product name]+review, check out a few and draw some resonable conclutions :)
User input is always nice, so i usually check forums too.
When i bought my lcd, I went down to the store and looked at them, to get a feel for it, and asked stupid questions to the poor guy helping me hehe.
It's great as then you can compare different brands side by side with the same picture source. If i had a bit more money id pick the samsung, in the end i went with a packard bell and im very happy with it, very little subjective difference.

Rakeesh
11-22-07, 11:31 AM
I've had people complain about acer monitors at my store.

GeeeEighty
11-22-07, 11:48 AM
I've had people complain about acer monitors at my store.

Yeah but people in general will find something to complain about, no matter what brand it is.

Revs
11-22-07, 12:01 PM
There are ways round for makers to sought of blag responce times, so it's hard to know what the responce time actually is. The most common is a 'gray to gray' responce time, which is alot faster than 'black to black'. You have to read the fine print.

Also they tend to specify the panels RT and not the monitor as a whole. It could say it's a 5ms RT panel but if the elecrtonics that process the data are crap it'll still be slow.

Best thing to do is read some reviews by people who know their stuff. But a truely fast monitor will be expensive. A good place to start if ya want a cheapish monitor is to make sure you get one with a grade 'A' panel.

The best way to tell a cheap panel is with a poor viewing angle. Acer do some good screens, but alot of poor ones.

EciDemon
11-23-07, 04:59 AM
I have to second Revs post. And in stores, good detailed information might not be available, or simply very missleading, cheap 6bit vs true 8bit panels comes to mind here. Imo it's important to actually see the product for real first, like speakers and headphones.

Madpistol
11-25-07, 08:49 PM
I have a 24" Acer. Color reproduction is gorgeous, and it's very bright. No dead pixels either.

The only thing I can complain about is the viewing angle. If you're about 30" off center, the color gets a little disoriented. Straight on, though, it's absolutely the best bang for your buck.

And yes, the 24" has DVI, and the picture is wonderful! :D

spaceigg
11-25-07, 10:14 PM
I got an ACER 22" dvi it's great! really bright and great color reproduction...
I've tried a few games ut3, dirt, cod4, bioshock.. and no ghosting, works flawlessly.

Greg
11-26-07, 06:23 AM
I would say any response time below 8ms is good. Beyond that, just go for the one that has the bigger size and higher contrast ratio.
Agreed. 8ms is minimum you want, lower is better.

The question for me is whether it is worth trading faster times for poorer view angle and color accuracy. PVA/MVA panels have the color and view, but TN has the speed and price.

I run a MVA PC monitor and PVA TV monitor. They are both great for games but occasionally the dark colors or neigboring high contrast pixels give a blur or ghost effect. (Both are rated 8ms.)

I believe both those 24" screens are TN, so I personally wouldn't recommend either. Consider saving up or waiting a little longer to get a better quality monitor. Having said that, the Samsung 24" is the best of that set.