PDA

View Full Version : Open thread to game developers and publishers

Hoopla
11-22-07, 12:43 PM
Wish list for game developers and publishers:

* It's 2007, your games should support widescreen resolutions without people having to hack into the config files. (I'm talking about you Bioshock, PES 2008, etc.)

* Hire better story writers. If you are going to use games as a medium to tell stories then do it well.

* Breathe some life into your characters (see Portal for a great example and Jericho for a bad example).

* No respawning enemies (yes, I'm talking about you COD4).

* Give us a little more choice and open spaces to reach objectives and take out enemies instead of tight corridor/linear/on rails levels (good examples for how to do it right: Far Cry, Crysis, STALKER, MOH Airborne).

* Please, no more poor console ports. (Halo2, Blacksite Area 51, etc.) If you are going to port a game, at least do it well.

* If your squad is going to suck and be a burden then we don't want them in the game at all. I'd rather play a lone characther (yes, you again, Jericho).

* If you are going to revive a license, at least do it well (Soldier of Fortune Payback is an example of how to do it badly).

* Any license that is older than 5-8 years old should be wrapped up and concluded instead of dragged out like episodes of Lost (yes Valve, I am talking to you. Wrap up Half-Life already and move on to something else).

Well, these are mine (for now). Feel free to add your own. :D

LORD-eX-Bu
11-22-07, 01:23 PM
http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/tumbleweed.gif

SH64
11-22-07, 02:41 PM
http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/tumbleweed.gif
LOL hey there's still hope someone listens! :D

agreed with most points but didnt get this one :confused:
* Breathe some life into your characters (see Portal for a great example and Jericho for a bad example).

i'll wrap up my list soon & post it later.

Hoopla
11-22-07, 04:57 PM
agreed with most points but didnt get this one :confused:

I gues I mean the way GLADoS was a great character in the game. Heck, people even got attached to the Weighted Companion Cube. :D We need more memorable characters in games.

Elvin Presler
11-22-07, 05:42 PM
STOP....

The motion blur and bloom garbage.

STOP IT.

PS: Put Antialiasing back. It's friggin basic stuff now days!

SH64
11-22-07, 05:45 PM
PS: Put Antialiasing back. It's friggin basic stuff now days!
With DX10.1 they will be forced to do so.

P.S. : more motion blur please .. its cool! :p

t3hl33td4rg0n
11-28-07, 05:29 AM
- If you're going to make a multiplatform game that includes PC, develop it for PC first, then start downgrading/porting to consoles, not the other way around. (list too long to make)

- Bad voiceovers and bad acting completely ruin a game, so hire better actors. (Two Worlds)

- Stop with this DAMN overdone bloom, you can't even see the frickin sky in some of these new games - just a white blur making everything glow like radiation. And not everything in the world shines like chrome in a spotlight. Our guns shouldnt glow like a damn lightsaber.

- Support ALL monitors for ALL refresh rates and ALL aspect ratios.

- Support XP and VISTA!

- ... And all the above.

CaptNKILL
11-28-07, 12:29 PM
* Stop thinking the general public requires dumbing down. Most people will play a game if its slightly more complex than they are used to. They will have already bought it by then anyway. Why the hell are games being simplified in the first place? :o

delas52
11-28-07, 01:05 PM
Don't include mp just for the hell of it, it is terrible for too many games (hence why everybody has the same 2 or 3 favorite mp games for like 5 years straight)

With some games I'd just prefer a longer/better sp and no mp (dark messiah, crysis, moh:ab, to name a few recent ones that come to mind)

Q
11-28-07, 02:10 PM
As a developer of two hit (Ti-83) games, Homo Evil and Homo Evil 2, I will take these recommendations very seriously.

OldOfEvil
11-28-07, 03:32 PM
Devlopers need financial freedom from publishers.. So the publishers can't dictate what the developers create. In short, developers are ****ed.

</jaded gamer>