PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX & Intel Quad Q6600 = low fps ?

nvToni
11-22-07, 04:02 PM
Hi guys !

I'm new at all this AA and AF stuff so please bare with my question if it has been asked a zillion times.

So what's my problem?

Ok, I have recently replaced my old system (DFI Lanparty Ultra-D, AMD Athlon64 3000+ and 2Gb DDR) and EVGA 8800 GTX. Now the problem I was having with the old system was that the CPU was the bottle neck and I couldn't have AA and AF in all the games crancked up to max (low 20 to 30 FPS at 1280x1024 res.)

Here are the new system specs:
- Gigabyte X38-DQ6
- Intel Quad Q6600 (2,4 Ghz)
- OCZ 2 Gb DDR2 (4-4-4-15)
- EVGA 8800 GTX

And the settings I have enabled in Nvidia control panel:
- Anisotropic filtering = 16x
- Antialiasing - Gamma correction = ON
- Antialiasing - Mode = Override any application setting
- Antialiasing - Setting = 16xQ
- Antialiasing - Transparency = Supersampling
- Conformant texture clamp = Use hardware
- Error reporting = Off
- Extension limit = Off
- Force mipmaps = None
- Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Multidisplay performance mode
- Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample option = OFF (if used Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality this is unavaliable to change)
- Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = Allow
- Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality
- Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization = OFF (if used Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality this is unavaliable to change)
- Threaded optimization = AUTO
- Triple buffering = OFF
- Vertical sync = Use the 3D appliaction setting

And the gaming resolution I use is 1280x1024 (19 inch)

Now here is the issue.

If I play games like:
- Need for speed - Pro street, all in-game settings maxed out, AA in game off, the frames I'm getting are 18 - 25 maybe 30 FPS dependes on the situation

- World in conflict, all in-game settings maxed out, AA in game off, the frames I'm getting are 17 - 25 FPS.

I'm really upset by the low framerate and I'm asking you my dear community is this all I'm getting out of my 8800 GTX at this settings. My concerne is that at this resolution I should be at least somwhere between 40 - 60 FPS, judging by the test performed on Core2 systems and much higher resolutions.

I once heard something about disabeling cores and stuff, but don't know what that means. Ahh also, I know I should have done a format of my disk because I replacede the system, but I didn't. However I did unistall all the motherboard drivers from the old system, installed the latest Nvidia drivers for the GPU and the drivers for the motherboard and updated system bios.

Thank you for all your help,

Kind regards - Toni

DenXP
11-22-07, 04:28 PM
Hi guys !

I'm new at all this AA and AF stuff so please bare with my question if it has been asked a zillion times.

So what's my problem?

Ok, I have recently replaced my old system (DFI Lanparty Ultra-D, AMD Athlon64 3000+ and 2Gb DDR) and EVGA 8800 GTX. Now the problem I was having with the old system was that the CPU was the bottle neck and I couldn't have AA and AF in all the games crancked up to max (low 20 to 30 FPS at 1280x1024 res.)

Here are the new system specs:
- Gigabyte X38-DQ6
- Intel Quad Q6600 (2,4 Ghz)
- OCZ 2 Gb DDR2 (4-4-4-15)
- EVGA 8800 GTX

And the settings I have enabled in Nvidia control panel:
- Anisotropic filtering = 16x
- Antialiasing - Gamma correction = ON
- Antialiasing - Mode = Override any application setting
- Antialiasing - Setting = 16xQ
- Antialiasing - Transparency = Supersampling
- Conformant texture clamp = Use hardware
- Error reporting = Off
- Extension limit = Off
- Force mipmaps = None
- Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Multidisplay performance mode
- Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample option = OFF (if used Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality this is unavaliable to change)
- Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias = Allow
- Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality
- Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization = OFF (if used Texture filtering - Quality = High Quality this is unavaliable to change)
- Threaded optimization = AUTO
- Triple buffering = OFF
- Vertical sync = Use the 3D appliaction setting

And the gaming resolution I use is 1280x1024 (19 inch)

Now here is the issue.

If I play games like:
- Need for speed - Pro street, all in-game settings maxed out, AA in game off, the frames I'm getting are 18 - 25 maybe 30 FPS dependes on the situation

- World in conflict, all in-game settings maxed out, AA in game off, the frames I'm getting are 17 - 25 FPS.

I'm really upset by the low framerate and I'm asking you my dear community is this all I'm getting out of my 8800 GTX at this settings. My concerne is that at this resolution I should be at least somwhere between 40 - 60 FPS, judging by the test performed on Core2 systems and much higher resolutions.

I once heard something about disabeling cores and stuff, but don't know what that means. Ahh also, I know I should have done a format of my disk because I replacede the system, but I didn't. However I did unistall all the motherboard drivers from the old system, installed the latest Nvidia drivers for the GPU and the drivers for the motherboard and updated system bios.

Thank you for all your help,

Kind regards - Toni

u set Antialiasing Mode = Override any application setting and Antialiasing - Setting = 16xQ................
your setting is quite high for the new game such as wic and crysis!
normally u should set the aa to 4x for such games!
(Antialiasing Mode = Override any application) means the aa is still enabled whenever u disabled aa in game menu!
since u set aa to 16xQ, it will put bottleneck back to gpu and not cpu! sli may help u in such high quality setting but not crysis (crysis need 3-way SLI in such setting)

SH64
11-22-07, 04:35 PM
Yep 16xQ is a little too much for the recent games. 4xAA is the default.
for Prostreet this shouldnt posses such a problem though as that game is not demanding esp when considering you're playing @1280x1024 .. still go for either 8xQ or 4xAA for Prostreet.

World in Conflict is much more demadning & is more CPU bound so again 4xAA only. notice that your quad-core wont do much in WiC since it dosent take advantage of it. (i.e. only uses 1 core if i'm not mistaken)

conroejoe
11-22-07, 05:30 PM
Antialiasing - Transparency = Supersampling

Use Multisample, the new sampling looks as good as Super and alot less hit.

nvToni
11-23-07, 03:23 AM
Thank you guys, this help a lot.

One more question, what is the difference between 8x and 8Q ?

Toni

iron99
11-23-07, 03:50 AM
Thank you guys, this help a lot.

One more question, what is the difference between 8x and 8Q ?

Toni

Go here Toni - http://www.nhancer.com/help/AASamples.htm - and you can see what the different AA types look like.

PS - nHancer is an excellent tool!

MUYA
11-23-07, 04:14 AM
- Vertical sync = Use the 3D application setting
Kind regards - Toni

Perhaps have this setting to "Force Off" and

Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration to Single display performance mode

john19055
11-23-07, 08:56 AM
It best just to install the driver and set the ajust Image setting to (use the advanced 3D image setting) that way it uses the game profiles ,which useally gives you the best setting .Then just use the FSAA and aniso settings in the game menu.I only change the profile settings if it is not in the game menu set-up.I bet you where getting some low numbers with them settings,like in
World in conflict

Tangra
12-01-07, 09:35 AM
Hi,

I wander if the problem is somewhere else? I just got a new machine with Core2 Duo 3Ghz and a Foxconn GeForce 8800 GTX 768Mb and Im aslo running games a bit slow!!! :( I spent hours playing with the in-game graphics settings and the driver's one but I don't think there problem is there - it dosen't seem to change things a lot. I have to play Crysis on LOW in order to get ok fps!!! Nooooooooooo!!! So it's as my old GeForce 7800!!!

Im using Vista on my new pc and maybe the problem is there. I tried runing Crysis in DX9 mode, but not much of effect again! I don't know what to do next but I'll keep on looking...

One thing I noticed after installing Crysis and Gears of War is that I got a message saying that Vista needs a critical update? When I start Gears of War I get the message "Update to Windows Vista to resolve graphics virtual adress problem (KB940105)"???