PDA

View Full Version : Ghost a RAID0 Install

|MaguS|
11-23-07, 09:22 PM
I was wondering if its possible to ghost a windows install on a RAID0 to a single drive and then ghost it back to a new RAID0?

Basically I am getting rid of my PC and possibly the drives that make up my array but have another drive for storage of the backup. I would like to make a ghost image of the OS Install and store that away untill I can rebuild my PC which then I would ghost the image back onto the new RAID array.

Would any issues arise from this?

crainger
11-23-07, 11:54 PM
Shouldn't. As far as windows was concerned it was just one big drive the whole time.

Slammin
11-24-07, 08:45 AM
That's how I did it, except I used Acronis instead of Ghost. The thing you need to make sure of is, you need to make sure the system has the raid drivers on it before you back it up. And, not only the controller raid driver, but the disc raid driver as well. BSOD if you don't.

stncttr908
11-24-07, 12:19 PM
It should be alright. NTFS just thinks its one drive.

Mr Bigman
11-24-07, 03:44 PM
What you have to do is load a live version of XP PE with the raid driver and you will see the raid harddrive with the windows installation in tact.

Next run ghost32 and back the raid setup to a single driver just image it to the backup drive.

Unload the old raid0, install the new raid boot up to live CD and pull the image off the backup drive to the new raid setup and make sure its formatted first with NTFS and run ghost32 to place the image back to the new drive and it should take a couple of hours for the copy and reboot and you good as gold.

worked for me with a raid that had games on it but the drives where getting smaller as i was installing games so i installed 2 750's frim 2 250's using ghost 32 and it worked fine.