PDA

View Full Version : How to properly clean an LCD Monitor...

$n][pErMan
11-24-07, 02:20 AM
As the title states... what methods do you all use to clean your LCD monitors? Curious. :) I am afraid to try and clean the screen as I don't want to create any dead pixels or get a pixel stuck! (lee)

Greg
11-24-07, 02:36 AM
I have a couple of cloths for the purpose, one came with a Samsung screen, though the instructions showed only cleaning the bezel with it.

I use a soft cloth with a little water to dampen part. Gently wipe the screen clean, use some circular motion on spot marks. Since the cloth was merely damp in some places, the screen should dry almost immediatly. You will want to perform this ritual with the screen off or dark so you can see dust and grime. The screen itself should just be glass, but may be polarized or coated in some way such that you don't want to roughly scrub or scratch the surface. Don't worry about damaging the pixels, a gentle rub won't kill them, even if they distort when the screen is on. There should be no need to use glass cleaners or other chemical agents. With the right kind of cloth, you won't even need solvents to clean greasy fingerprints, as the cloth fibers can lift that off.

SLippe
11-24-07, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I usually just use a dry cloth or some wet-wipe type cloths I bought specificly (sp) for LCD monitors. They sell LCD cleaning kits at places like Best Buy, CompUSA, etc.

DO NOT USE WINDEX!!!!

nV`andrew
11-24-07, 11:52 AM
I use a mixture of a lens cleaner and distilled water, but now that bottle is lost to me, so i've just been using distilled water and a small cloth. works fine.

ChiBChombo
11-24-07, 02:05 PM
Anyway to know if your screen has any damaged Pixels or anything?

stevemedes
11-24-07, 05:57 PM
I just dip a big piece of steel wool into some bleach and scrub away.

methimpikehoses
11-24-07, 06:00 PM
I just dip a big piece of steel wool into some bleach and scrub away.

:wonder:

mythy
11-24-07, 06:16 PM
91% Alcohol the same crap I use to clean my heat sinks and mouse pad :p

bacon12
11-24-07, 06:42 PM
Denatured alcohol and a soft cloth. ;)

subaru swift
11-24-07, 06:48 PM
i just use a kit off ebay for 5 ! ;-)

Libertysyclone
11-24-07, 07:36 PM
I have some monster LCD cleaner with a microfiber cloth i got with my LCD TV. its great although I think that retail on the kit is $20, its a polymer cleaner.

I will restate do not use windex.

Rummy
11-24-07, 08:59 PM
I bought some LCD cleaner at Sears yesterday. $14.99 alcohol and ammonia free. Came with a cloth and works great.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-24-07, 09:06 PM
I just used some multi purpose cleaner.. sprayed a bit on a micro fiber cloth and wiped the panel :)

dxx
11-24-07, 09:11 PM
Am I the only person that uses soap and water?

stevemedes
11-24-07, 09:22 PM
Am I the only person that uses soap and water?

I hope so.

andy_nv
11-24-07, 09:47 PM
Anyway to know if your screen has any damaged Pixels or anything?
Basically, you need to alternate between a red, green, blue, white and black background to spot a dead pixel. You can do this with a program or by manually setting a screen saver with these colors.

ChiBChombo
11-24-07, 10:56 PM
Basically, you need to alternate between a red, green, blue, white and black background to spot a dead pixel. You can do this with a program or by manually setting a screen saver with these colors.

Can you name the program or any link to it? I'm interested on finding out if I have any.

Xion X2
11-25-07, 01:55 AM
Can you name the program or any link to it? I'm interested on finding out if I have any.
UDPixel

Amuro
11-25-07, 02:32 AM
I use Klearscreen products.
http://www.klearscreen.com/

$n][pErMan
11-25-07, 01:26 PM
I use Klearscreen products.
http://www.klearscreen.com/
Damn... that stuff is not cheap! :p Thanks for the help so far guys. At work I order 24in widescreen LCD's and noticed they come with little felt clothes. I took one of these home with me Wednesday before the long weekend. It says its only for the frame, but as someone pointed out here they used it on the screen too. Its pretty soft so I think I might give that a try. All I really need to do it just get the dust off the screen and clean a small spot where there is a damn fingerprint :| Says to use a slight spray of water on the cloth, which I was weary of at first but some of you here also pointed toward doing that so I will give it a shot! :)