PDA

View Full Version : AMD says GPU physics is dead until DirectX 11

Digital_Trans
11-24-07, 08:31 AM
AMD says GPU physics is dead until DirectX 11

PC gamers have been looking for more than just pretty graphics when it comes to their game titles over the last few years. Not only do gamers want realistic graphics, but they want realistic physics as well.
Physics have long been a part of PC and console games to some extent. As games get more complex the mathematical calculations required for accurately rendering things on screen like smoke and explosions gets more complex as well.

GPU makers ATI and NVIDIA both know the value of physics processing and both companies put forth similar ways to tackle physics for video games. DailyTech reported in January of 2007 leaked specifications from ATI showing exactly what would be required for its asymmetric physics processing. Almost a year before those documents were leaked, DailyTech reported on NVIDIA’s Quantum physics engine.
Things in the world of video game physics heated up when Intel announced in September that it intended to buy Havok, the company whose physics software is widely used by game developers around the world. Xbit Labs reports today that AMD’s Developer Relations Chief, Richard Huddy is saying that GPU physics is dead for now.

View: Full Article @ Daily Tech

Madpistol
11-24-07, 08:59 AM
So is this AMD's way of saying "we have no monies. All our physics r belong to nvidia" ? :(

andy_nv
11-24-07, 11:49 AM
No, it's more like "we put all of our eggs in the Havok basket and Intel stole the basket". Not sure if it's technically true or just PR excuses, what I know is that I'm tired of the AMD bashing going on and the hypocrisy of most consumers who wouldn't hesitate a bit to switch side given the opportunity (speed, price, etc).

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 12:12 PM
Ironic how a dying company calls another company dead.

stncttr908
11-24-07, 12:32 PM
No, it's more like "we put all of our eggs in the Havok basket and Intel stole the basket". Not sure if it's technically true or just PR excuses, what I know is that I'm tired of the AMD bashing going on and the hypocrisy of most consumers who wouldn't hesitate a bit to switch side given the opportunity (speed, price, etc).
I buy whatever is faster and cheaper. I hold no allegiance when it comes to computer hardware. If a company wins and the other makes excuses, they deserve to be called out.

breathemetal
11-24-07, 12:34 PM
I buy whatever is faster and cheaper. I hold no allegiance when it comes to computer hardware. If a company wins and the other makes excuses, they deserve to be called out.

+1

Dreamingawake
11-24-07, 12:43 PM
Sorry to break it to you AMD but Physics are already here.

Sure they'll get better in time, but why wouldn't anything..

Good job trying to convince everyone you have something up your sleeve though.

I highly doubt it.

andy_nv
11-24-07, 12:58 PM
Fair enough, I wouldn't have included "PR excuses" if it weren't so. Though looking at the whole industry, when something goes wrong marketing's busy.
Dancing on AMD's grave when they aren't dead yet and without thinking at the consequences for the consumer doesn't seem right.

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 01:11 PM

I agree, I'll buy a s3 chrome if it gave me faster frames, I personally dont care what card is from whom, just seems ati was only able to take advantage during the dx9 fiasco when nvidias head got so big that they decided to go their own route rather than ms's dx9 standard. 16 or 32 fp instead of 24.

I still feel for people that bought a 5600 Ultra, hands down the worst mid-range card ever made in the history of gpu's, (Course the 8600 isnt far behind)

CaptNKILL
11-24-07, 01:32 PM
I agree, I'll buy a s3 chrome if it gave me faster frames, I personally dont care what card is from whom, just seems ati was only able to take advantage during the dx9 fiasco when nvidias head got so big that they decided to go their own route rather than ms's dx9 standard. 16 or 32 fp instead of 24.

I still feel for people that bought a 5600 Ultra, hands down the worst mid-range card ever made in the history of gpu's, (Course the 8600 isnt far behind)
When my ti4400 died evga sent me a 5600 256Mb. NON Ultra... :(

What a horrible rip off that was. The GF4 blew through Vietcong like nothing at 1024x768. The 5600 couldn't even manage 30fps at 640x480. :(

I ebayed that POS and bought a TYAN 9600 Pro. Best choice I'd ever made. The 9600 Pro stomped both my previous cards easily.

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 03:23 PM
When my ti4400 died evga sent me a 5600 256Mb. NON Ultra... :(

What a horrible rip off that was. The GF4 blew through Vietcong like nothing at 1024x768. The 5600 couldn't even manage 30fps at 640x480. :(

I ebayed that POS and bought a TYAN 9600 Pro. Best choice I'd ever made. The 9600 Pro stomped both my previous cards easily.

I remember that! The huge issue was a 5600 ultra couldnt keep up with the ti4200, let alone anything stronger. This was the first time a mid-range card of new gen couldnt beat last gen's md-range. And then it became the norm...now everyone accepts garbage like the 7600 and 8600 series.

Thank goodness the 8800 GT finally gave mid-rangerz a decent card for a decent price....it's been since the ti4200 since I can say that, ironically enough. ;)

9600 Pro was awesome. I remember running farcry @ 1024x768 max settings 4xaf when it came out with that card. ( to be far I did have it oc'd something crazy)

K007
11-24-07, 04:40 PM
I hope AMD will be there when DX11 comes out -.-..

SH64
11-24-07, 04:46 PM
Nvidia's Quantum Physics = ATi's 3Dc Technology

pot-kettle.

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 05:03 PM
Nvidia's Quantum Physics = ATi's 3Dc Technology

pot-kettle.

Good call! Forgot all about 3dc...y;know...it being so successful and all. ha.

hell_of_doom227
11-24-07, 07:44 PM
AMD is smocking crack, i think they are dead.