PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my 8800GT ?

Boozer Dawg
11-24-07, 06:35 PM
Completely randomly during gameplay, this will happen -

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/BoozerDawg/DSC00471.jpg

Shortly after the freeze, my monitor will go into standby mode, as if there was no signal. Sometimes the wierd things on screen are red, or sometimes there isnt any at all, either way it still forces me to have to reboot my computer (or wait long enough, where is gives me a BSOD and a nvidia driver warning with a dump file).

Is there something wrong with my card, or is it drivers, or something else ? I checked the temps, it reaches 85-90c max under load. I cant ever remember it happening when playing COD4 (which ive played alot of), its only happened in Crysis, and Unreal Engine 3 games (BioShock, Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3), Company of Heroes too. I just dont know what to do tbh. Thoughts ?

Uberpwnage
11-24-07, 06:40 PM
90c seems pretty hot to me, looks like artifacts that come w/ overheating. Is you're card factory overclocked or are you overclocking? temps that are ok at stock can cause artifacts when oc'ed. I would recommend raising your fan speeds if you haven't already, see if that makes a difference.

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 06:55 PM
Not to sound like a jerk, but obviously if it's happening in multiple games, the card is at fault.

Looks like a bad pipeline or sh*tty memory to me.

Exchange the card. Why "wait and see what happens", when that waiting can cost you an exchange due to time limitations.

EDIT
90C these days isnt horrible...most reviewers posted they got 83-89C full load in various games and anyway, heat would cause artifacting or an automatic reboot, therefore I don't feel its an overheating issue. I think the card is just defective.

If you're overclocking, stop, see if it helps. Try a different driver and if that doesn't do her, refund time.

Boozer Dawg
11-24-07, 07:23 PM
No overclocking whatsoever, all standard. I probly will exchange the card but i wish i didnt have to, what with the complete lack of stock on these things, it could take ages to get 1 back :(

I thought it might be overheating, but i played UT3 for about an hour straight with ntune monitoring the temps, the highest it reached before conking out was 84c, thats safe isnt it ?

I thought it might be drivers or something but everyone ive asked seems to think otherwise, so im pretty much left with having to return it :(.

Uberpwnage
11-24-07, 07:45 PM
84 isn't that bad, and if you're not oc'ed, sounds more like a card issue now, as SeriTonin said.

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear it. I had a faulty x800 pro once and of course it was when they were new and always out of stock, I know your pain, but trust me, it's worth the return in the end.

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 08:16 PM
Only other thing I can think of is a insufficient power supply?

Boozer Dawg
11-24-07, 08:27 PM
Corsair HX520, i think thats plenty :( Ah well balls to it il have to return it, i might get a refund and buy an EVGA one instead (are ASUS a bit ****ty ?).

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 08:29 PM
asus is a pretty good company actually, BUT I would go evga simply because they have the step up program should something better come out within 90 days you can send them your card and just pay the difference for the new one. And more importantly they have a lifetime warranty.

Boozer Dawg
11-24-07, 08:42 PM
Im just gonna have to suck it up then hehe, its a shame, i really liked the Company of Heroes design on it :). Bit miffed really as i also had to replace the first Corsair PSU they sent me as the fan inside it was barely spinning when i got it, meaning it was HOT. PC parts dont like me :(.

Dreamingawake
11-25-07, 12:10 AM
Yea kinda worries me, I just got an 8800GT no issues with it yet, but I'm running the fan at 85% constant thru Rivatuner just to be safe.. hopefully its a driver issue.. although EDIT: with the fan on auto, it's idling at 66 which isn't bad.. maybe I'll just crank it before gaming.

john19055
11-25-07, 04:47 AM
Sounds and looks like a bad card ,it happens with the best brands ,just send it back and get it replaced.

Greg
11-25-07, 08:33 AM
Sounds similar to this:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86550&page=34

bacon12
11-25-07, 09:59 AM
Try turning the fan on high during load and see what happens. I would get freezes and black screens where windows would say the driver had shut down and successfully restarted.

I found out if I keep my 8800gt cool as possible I don't have those problems. Of course I have only see this issue when playing Crysis.

Boozer Dawg
11-25-07, 12:52 PM
Hmm, i went on the Asus support site, and they had a BIOS update for the 8800GT on there, so i installed it (something ive never done before, was very quick and painless).

I just tried playing UT3 for about an hour straight, no problems whatsoever, obviously it needs some real grinding before i clear the problem away, but il keep you guys updated :).

raystorm
11-25-07, 03:03 PM
heh.. just got my 8800gt the other day and the same exact thing happened to me in Crysis. Its definitely overheating but it only happens in Crysis. Boy does that game work the card! I just put in a few fan profiles using rivatuner and all is well. Here is the funny thing...I put in a 80% fan speed profile and I could hear the fan but when I played Crysis before the fan profile was made I NEVER heard the fan. Seems like the fan doesn't spin faster when its being worked hard for some reason. Thank goodness for rivatuner.

mythy
11-25-07, 09:23 PM
its not a bad card any where from 90C-110Cis the core reset temperature. It will put your monitor into stand by and attempt to restart the card. Mine normally succeeds others don't.

EVGA Tech told me its the luck of the drawl some cards can handle the higher temps better then others. Simply set your fan speed to 40% and it should go away :p

DarkOneX
11-25-07, 11:06 PM
It's not just overheating that will cause that. My replacement eVGA 8800GT SSC is doing this, or shall I say was doing this after hours of gaming in Crysis or Fear, but my temp wasn't going above 75C. Downclocked my mem from 1000 to 950 and it hasn't happened since. I honestly think that eVGA pushed these cards too hard and only a select few of the SSC's or maybe some others will run at their "stock" overclocked speeds correctly.

Armed_Baboon
11-26-07, 04:54 AM
that's totally awesome dude. I love it when stuff works out like that. still better to not have the problem in the first place, but still cool if it works.

seem(s/ed) like an unlikely solution.

Boozer Dawg
11-26-07, 03:43 PM
I did request a return, and i got a reply today, basically saying that there are known problems with the fan not speeding up properly, he recommended using Riva Tuner to do it, but if i really wanted he could do an exchange/refund.

Ah well, ever since that BIOS update i havent had a single crash, and even if it does screw up in the future, ive got 3 years warranty ;).

WLanMan
11-29-07, 02:17 PM
I just switched out a 7800GTX for a BFG 8800GT yesterday. I was seeing a very similiar pattern of either red screens or frozen screen crashes in 3 hours of trying a few games. Around 5 crashes in that time. Using NTune to kick the fan speed up to 50% and even 70% didn't help.

BFG doesn't list a BIOS update... so I've bugged them in email. I see the ASUS one and wonder if it's vendor agnostic and would install on a BFG card... maybe I'll try it out. I'll also try kicking down the pre-factory OC'ed core and mem speeds as well.