PDA

View Full Version : 2007: The year PC Gaming was replaced with consoles.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 08:03 PM
Unreal Tournament 3 - Many feel it's a step backward, rather than two forward, ESPECIALLY, graphically.

Gears of War - I'm sure it's great on the 30% of systems out there that have it running without crashing or stuttering.

Hellgate London - Dud. :thumbdwn:

Kane and Lynch - No co-op online killed it for me, found it to be quite buggy as well.

Blacksite Area 51 - Generic gameplay mixed with generic graphics = generic game.

Crysis - Yeah, it looks pretty, but the game makes EVERY frickin mistake farcry made. Take away outside freedom, stick you in corridors toward the end ....release it when there's nothing on the market that can handle it in all it's glory...took out a final mission to get it to the market.

Stranglehold - I personally liked it, but it was plagued with crashing problems and oh yeah, nice way you have to rig the shortcuts description to get a decent resolution...

Medal of Honor Airborne - They sure drove home, the "airborne" part.

Bioshock, great game, AFTER the initial heap of bugs

PC Gamers pay top dollar for top of the line hardware and we get second rate ports of games. Why do we continue to do it when obviously it's a console gamer's world now and we're just an after thought?

How many PC exclusives were there this year that made the price of your rig justifiable?

You can't make the higher resolution argument anymore ...the textures stay bland and washed out like there console counter-part. Not much alluring about a **** texture @ 1920x1200.

I'm not saying pc gaming is dying. It never will. But why do you stick with it when...pardon the nin pun, the line begins to blur, between consoles and pc's.

Is a keyboard and mouse worth a $700 gpu and $400 cpu for a year over a $400 console your good with for 5 years?

We get more bugs, less respect and all the frustrations. Why do we continue to do it?

breathemetal
11-24-07, 08:07 PM
Eh...consoles still suck in my mind
and nothing will ever change that

no im not stupid
no im not thickheaded

i have my reasons

pc ftw

Crow_Nest
11-24-07, 08:12 PM
FPSes on consoles will never win FPSes on PCs. Even if it means consoles has better performance.

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 08:17 PM
Oh I agree....I feel the same, just wondering what kept everyone else in it - cause obviously we're all being ass raped here with the sloppy ports and high priced hardware. Such is the life of a pc gamer I suppose.

nutcrackr
11-24-07, 08:20 PM
stalker, crysis, supreme commander exclusives (for now) made it worth it

episode 2, bioshock (honestly what bugs?) , cod 4 (pc ftw), cnc3 (kane) made it even more worth it.

PC gaming imho had the best year out of any platform, but I'm biased naturally, you can disagree all you like (360 had a good year too). Sure we got a few ports, but we still got a slew of great games and many on the horizon. Just because we got **** games (area 51, kane and lynch, airborne) doesn't mean it was consoles that caused it, quite frankly they were just ****.

If you want to spend time bitching about how we haven't got it exactly right because console limitations etc then have fun. I think I'll go play some more cod 4 on pc :)

SeriTonin
11-24-07, 08:26 PM
I could stomach COD4's grainy graphics, but those squads KILLED ANY enjoyment I could possibly have with that game.

I suppose it was a great year if your an rts fan. Not my thing, but it does count - I agree with you on that.

GeeeEighty
11-24-07, 08:26 PM
Is a keyboard and mouse worth a $700 gpu and $400 cpu for a year over a $400 console your good with for 5 years?

Actually most high end cards and CPU's will hold out pretty well for 2yrs. Also think about this, while a console might last you 5 years how many of those years do you think you will spend playing the same stagnant and stale graphics? about 3yrs at the minimum since most consoles peak out after 2yrs.

This is where the pc shines, its more expensive but your never in a sticking point with technology and the envelope is allowed to be pushed farther and faster than what you get with a console.

nutcrackr
11-24-07, 08:30 PM
those squads KILLED ANY enjoyment I could possibly have with that game.
what squads? :confused:

nekrosoft13
11-24-07, 08:39 PM
Eh...consoles still suck in my mind
and nothing will ever change that

no im not stupid
no im not thickheaded

i have my reasons

pc ftw

good post

OP spreading his BS thin

CaptNKILL
11-24-07, 08:40 PM
Wow... how can you talk about PC gaming while ignoring STALKER, The Witcher, Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal? Not to mention the lower profile titles like Penumbra: Overture and Sam & Max Season 1?

Most of the "real" PC Games that came out this year were great examples of what makes PC gaming so damned awesome. The games that were ports definitely played like ports... so whats new?

2007 has been the best year for PC gaming in quite some time, and just about everyone here knows that.

If you're still unhappy with it, stop buying hardware and stop playing PC games.

nekrosoft13
11-24-07, 08:42 PM
Wow... how can you talk about PC gaming while ignoring STALKER, The Witcher, Episode 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal? Not to mention the lower profile titles like Penumbra: Overture and Sam & Max Season 1?

Most of the "real" PC Games that came out this year were great examples of what makes PC gaming so damned awesome. The games that were ports definitely played like ports... so whats new?

2007 has been the best year for PC gaming in quite some time, and just about everyone here knows that.

If you're still unhappy with it, stop buying hardware and stop playing PC games.

there is no point to even pay attention to his post.

CaptNKILL
11-24-07, 08:44 PM
there is no point to even pay attention to his post.
Good point.

jAkUp
11-24-07, 09:55 PM
And World in Conflict! Excellent PC title.

six_storm
11-24-07, 10:10 PM
Oh great, another PC vs console thread. As far as PC's being replaced . . . nah not really. When it comes to the games, I think everyone has had a good year. Developers are just going with consoles mainly right now because that's where the money is at, especially since the "next gen" came out just a year or two ago.

K007
11-24-07, 10:17 PM
I thought 2007 was pretty great for PC, sure most made it into Console as well..but it wasn't a dud for PC.

First off the PC hardware got pretty cheap and alot of people can actually buy Quad CPUs/8800GT SLIs. That combo should last a long time.

Crysis
Witcher
TF2
Portals (Favorite)
CoD4
Bioshock
NWN2 Expan
CnC3

List goes on..sure some were crap..but that is to be expected..ie jericho..god what a pos -.-...looks great..i remember the first screenshot of this game..but man gameplay/story was such a pos..and the whole 'revenge of the brown castle' thing didn't help too :P.

More to come next year, gf9, new intel quad cores ><...

They put more time in consoles, because thats where the money is, not because console is better in terms of technological point of view.

MowTin
11-24-07, 10:32 PM
Bioshock and COD4 look better on the PC :D

Now even GoW looks better.

With Games for Windows you can plug in you 360 controller to your PC and you can plug your pc into a nice 46" LCD HDTV and play at TRUE 1920x1080 with AA and AF. Consoles are all upscaled and full of aliasing. I have a 360 and the aliasing really hurts the IQ.

I think this has been the best year for PC in years. Mostly because the console ports are getting much better. And look better on PC.

FastRedPonyCar
11-24-07, 11:39 PM
console gaming plain and simple generates retarded amounts of revenue. the wii and 360 sales are almost 27 million dollars for this year alone.

how much has pc gaming generated?

I'm not going to take explicit sides on the debate becuase aside from portal, gaming with friends on his wii is about the most fun I've had playing video games in a long time and for half the cost of my video card, it's a no brainer for a greater majority of consumers who want a simple, plug in and go solution and not worry about bugs, patches, incompatiblity, etc...

That being said, it's been a pretty fun experience showing some of my die hard console fanboy friends my pc running crysis at full tilt.

LT.Schaffer
11-25-07, 12:16 AM
For me what made it worth it was:
ArmA Combat Operations
The Witcher
Portal
Episode 2
Stalker
Tomb Raider Anniversary

Mr Bigman
11-25-07, 12:18 AM
From a true gamer for over 25 years. It swings both ways.

I can't stand retailers like GameStop cuz they just glorify consoles and when you bring up PC gaming, they look at you like or foreign. WTF is that?

Ive been playing both sides and enjoy what both have to offer. You have pro console fans and pro PC fans. Im both.

But why is Gamestop who deals with video games push PC gaming to the back and promote console gaming like it does?

I liked when babbages was around, they were more carrying for PC gaming and they sold the hardware. Only retailer who carries PC hardware is Bestbuy and there high priced so go online.

But Pc gaming is strong, very strong but if we have companies like Gamestop its hard to fan out PC gamers cuz there druged by gamestop on consoles.

Zelda_fan
11-25-07, 12:31 AM
FPSes on consoles will never win FPSes on PCs. Even if it means consoles has better performance.

Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii was better than any FPS I have ever played for the PC. And I've played a lot of PC FPSes..

Zelda_fan
11-25-07, 12:33 AM
We get more bugs, less respect and all the frustrations. Why do we continue to do it?

You've got a good point. This is why I'm not a PC gamer anymore.

Zelda_fan
11-25-07, 12:36 AM
Bioshock and COD4 look better on the PC :D

Now even GoW looks better.

With Games for Windows you can plug in you 360 controller to your PC and you can plug your pc into a nice 46" LCD HDTV and play at TRUE 1920x1080 with AA and AF. Consoles are all upscaled and full of aliasing. I have a 360 and the aliasing really hurts the IQ.

I think this has been the best year for PC in years. Mostly because the console ports are getting much better. And look better on PC.

Here is the thing. I don't care about a 2% increase in image quality. The XBOX 360 outputting at 720p (or in some games 1080p) is fine for me. Hell, the Wii in 480p is fine for me.

And to get that 2% increase in image quality, you have to spend at least $1500 in hardware every year to stay up to date, and you also have to deal with bugs and driver incompatibilities.

So which would you rather have? A slightly better looking image, or save a nice chunck of money and not have to deal with any bugs?

evilchris
11-25-07, 12:43 AM
PC = afterthought because of PC gamers.

PC gamers act like "consumers" yet steal the games. Sure, you can pirate console games, but the vast majority of console gamers BUY the games. Should PC gamers figure out how to support their hobby with MONEY by BUYING games, things could be different.

methimpikehoses
11-25-07, 12:44 AM
PC = afterthought because of PC gamers.

PC gamers act like "consumers" yet steal the games. Sure, you can pirate console games, but the vast majority of console gamers BUY the games. Should PC gamers figure out how to support their hobby with MONEY by BUYING games, things could be different.

For once I agree with evil.

evilchris
11-25-07, 12:49 AM
For once I agree with evil.

Seriously man, go to any forum. "LAWLZ JUST DlDOADED CRYSIS!!! HEHEHHEEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEhH LOL!!!"

That same guy will bitch about PC support the next day.