PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont start!!

XP_GUN
11-24-07, 11:30 PM
Anyway my sister has a AMD 2200 XP with a cheep motherboard, anyway when she tried to start it up the computer would just sit there, doing nothing not even the sound of the hard drives clicking on, NO BEEPS. So I messed around.
Replaced Ram
Tried motherboard and CPU on my power supply
Then I finally said might as well see if the CPU was intact and saw this

http://www.photographyslr.com/photos/11_12_07_0001.JPG

It did clean up but there was also a black mark on the bottom of the CPU, so I think its toast

Anyway my second problem now, I desisted to replace her system with a old P4 3.0 that I had laying around for almost a year, but can’t seem to get it to boot up. I would hit the power switch and the fans would start to almost spin then it would shut down less than a second. Any ideas?

Maybe the power supply went bad as well?

CaptNKILL
11-24-07, 11:33 PM
Hmm... I hate to say it, but you might want to check that new CPU\mobo you just put in.

If the power supply you're using is toast it could have fried that athlon and it could be causing problems with the new board.

Not likely, but its a possibility.

XP_GUN
11-24-07, 11:36 PM
True, I really hate that all of my parts have been used up in other computer. :P

I will try that now

CaptNKILL
11-24-07, 11:39 PM
True, I really hate that all of my parts have been used up in other computer. :P

I know what you mean.

I've been building and rebuilding old rigs lately and I'm going to sell them... but its just such a pain in the ass trying to work around the millions of little quirks. I currently have 7 pre-2002 computers sitting in my room. :headexplode:

mythy
11-25-07, 12:08 AM
it could be a short then the PSU would kill power and down its self. But try to disconnect every thing but the PSU and power it up see if it beeps

XP_GUN
11-25-07, 12:19 AM
ok it works lol. So I guess the Power Supply is toast, CPU, and the motherboard. But the P4 Computer does work now, too bad its running off of my pc's power supply. Anyway thanks for the help. :D

mythy
11-25-07, 12:23 AM
I think theres a psu for sale in the FS thread ;)

CaptNKILL
11-25-07, 12:24 AM
ok it works lol. So I guess the Power Supply is toast, CPU, and the motherboard. But the P4 Computer does work now, too bad its running off of my pc's power supply. Anyway thanks for the help. :D
No problem man.

Glad you got it worked out.

I don't know what else is in that P4 system you built, but if you want a reliable but cheap PSU for it (and it doesn't have a powerful video card), check this out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104901

Great brand, and good specs. :)