PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 3 - AGEIA PhysX Extreme UT3 Mod-Pack

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
11-25-07, 12:34 AM
To celebrate the release of Unreal Tournament 3 AGEIA presents an exciting UT3 mod pack with 2 new maps for you to enjoy. Note: Due to the physics intensive nature of these new maps an AGEIA physics card is not necessary but recomended to play these levels.

http://www.fileplanet.com/182636/180000/fileinfo/Unreal-Tournament-3---AGEIA-PhysX-Extreme-UT3-Mod-Pack

sharvin
11-25-07, 01:09 AM
I'm curious as to how well a high end cpu would play these at?, and whether or not ageia is finally remotely useful for something.

CaptNKILL
11-25-07, 07:51 AM
Wasn't this game supposed to actually USE the PPU to begin with? Now its limited to 2 levels from Ageia? :lol:

nutcrackr
11-25-07, 07:54 AM
images, vids? are the levels good?

i want to see if they actually put effort into this.

Burnt_Ram
11-25-07, 09:01 AM
images, vids? are the levels good?

i want to see if they actually put effort into this.i'm with you. i'm very curious!

Eliminator
11-25-07, 09:12 AM
anyone have a proper link?

Dr.Nick
11-25-07, 11:06 AM
Some more info here. (http://www.ageia.com/physx/ut3.html) It definitely has potential imho but its up to the mod community to take advantage of it. Users over at [H] are reporting better performance with the physx card but I don't notice much of a difference. It does supposedly use the card at all times if you have one. I wish someone would make a small app that shows/records PPU usage so we can be sure:)

SeriTonin
11-25-07, 11:09 AM
So can you play these even without the card?

nekrosoft13
11-25-07, 11:11 AM
looks nice a actual tornado going around tearing stuff up

Dr.Nick
11-25-07, 11:23 AM
Yea, they run without the card but the performance is really terrible even with a quad core cpu. There is news of more levels being released soon also

3DBrad
11-25-07, 11:43 PM
The PPU in Ut3 takes load off of the CPU, however, if you have a nice dual-core or quad-core, they're basically pointless. ;)

Arioch
11-26-07, 12:02 AM
Too bad I would have to yank out my X-Fi soundcard to stick a physics card in my system and that's not gonna happen.

[EOCF] Tim
11-26-07, 01:04 AM
Not good apparantly :

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2007/11/23/unreal_tournament_3/4

Burnt_Ram
11-26-07, 07:21 AM
Tim']Not good apparantly :

no, not good at all! sad ...

FastRedPonyCar
11-26-07, 09:22 AM
Maybe they should focus more on fixing the problems with the game rather than adding useless content that no one can enjoy.

CaptNKILL
11-26-07, 09:23 AM
Tim']Not good apparantly :

eek...

Thats even worse than I thought.

I wonder if they tested the physx levels with and without hardware physx acceleration enabled. It really sounds like the card wasn't even working at all.

Thats just horrible. :o

If this is the result that everyone is getting, Physx is officially dead.

qube
11-26-07, 12:27 PM
ask Digital_Tranis he has a physx card

sammy sung
11-26-07, 06:04 PM
Maybe they should focus more on fixing the problems with the game rather than adding useless content that no one can enjoy.

Agreed 100%

Dr.Nick
11-27-07, 06:19 PM
There's definitely a performance hit but it's not too bad on my sys. The levels are more than playable at maxed settings like the rest of the game.

Edit- There were new drivers released just days before that review, I wonder if they used them. Also they were getting 30-35 avg on regular maps with an 8800 Ultra(wth?)? 4-7fps on Ageia maps? Even without the PPU I get like 10-20fps for the most part. Come on...

Eliminator
11-27-07, 06:22 PM
here are my impressions i posted on another forum

i just tested those physx levels without a physx card.... on lighthouse i was getting around 25FPS and tornado was 40-50FPS... but after about a minute or so even though nothing changed visually the fps takes a huge dive to <15FPS... maybe some internal trick?... also the maps are a joke... the bots get stuck in walls in the lighthouse level and its just a box with breakable walls... not to mention some of the walls lead you to an invisible wall outside the map in complete darkness... the physics dont look too realistic.. just bricks or glass shards spinning very fast... tornado one was kinda cool but it just doesnt belong in a game like UT3... overall = useless and uninstalled... until now i would have bought a physx card for $20 but after seeing this even if you pay me i wont install it

EDIT: forgot to mention the physx levels take like 100 times longer to load than regular levels for some reason

mullet
11-27-07, 07:13 PM
here are my impressions i posted on another forum
It just keeps getting better and better.

Buio
11-28-07, 01:39 AM
If this is the result that everyone is getting, Physx is officially dead.

It's not dead, but the PC add-on card might be.

What I mean is that Ageia perhaps should concentrate fully on the API and promoting and developing it, and perhaps wait with the hardware bit until they can come out with a product that is good. Only problem is the early adopters that got the card already.

I think their main problem is that good physics isn't as visual so people don't immediately see it in games and think "omg gotta get this card" so they are overdoing it by adding to much crap that drives the performance down. Good physics is integrated heavily in the game and can't be made with add-ons.

hugos82
11-28-07, 01:56 AM
hi guys.

could anyone tell me how to find the maps in game.
i have the full version of UT3 and the Physx maps installed,, but i can't find any of those in game.:headexplode:

sharvin
11-28-07, 02:11 AM
lol i watched one of the ageia movies and when they shot a wall it crumbled and stuff but left a perfectly straight edge where it hadn't hit.

Skinner
11-28-07, 08:20 AM
hi guys.

could anyone tell me how to find the maps in game.
i have the full version of UT3 and the Physx maps installed,, but i can't find any of those in game.:headexplode:

They are in the CTF maps.