PDA

View Full Version : Does Intel sell multipliers now?

sillyeagle
11-28-07, 01:44 AM
By increasing the FSB Intel is taking away a lot of OCing potential, which forces users to buy a higher or unlocked multiplier to aviod the FSB wall on chips that would otherwise OC quite well.

What do you think of this strategy of upping the FSB to force users to spend more on the higher multipliers?

stncttr908
11-28-07, 01:51 AM
My board does 500MHz FSB easily so I'm not terribly concerned either way. :D

Doing your research prevents such pitfalls.

Amuro
11-28-07, 02:57 AM
Yeah, Intel sells multiplayer now, it's gonna ditch the FSB architecture with Nehalem.

MUYA
11-28-07, 04:21 AM
Yeah, Intel sells multiplayer now, it's gonna ditch the FSB architecture with Nehalem.
On die memory controllers! woohoo!! dual or triple channel!

Aren't Xeon's multiplier unlocked?

Xion X2
11-28-07, 06:54 AM
Nope.

Monolyth
11-28-07, 12:52 PM
Nope.

Are Xion's multipliers unlocked? :D

LORD-eX-Bu
11-28-07, 12:59 PM
:rofl

qtip
11-28-07, 01:32 PM

The high end version which will be out first in Q4 2008 will be triple channel.

ViN86
11-28-07, 02:05 PM

i feel like Intel was being stubborn by not introducing on die memory controllers sooner. theyre so much more efficient.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-28-07, 03:00 PM
they might make it back into the top 10 chip makers? :lol:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2223460,00.asp

walterman
11-28-07, 04:53 PM
My board does 500MHz FSB easily so I'm not terribly concerned either way. :D

Doing your research prevents such pitfalls.

A lot of mobos do +500MHz with dual cores, but, with quads, they reach 450MHz +- usually.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-p5e_8.html#sect0

I would like to say right away that quad-core processors overclocking on Asus P5E mainboard is as simple and quick as dual-core processors overclocking. To achieve maximum results it is enough to simply raise the processor Vcore, Vmem and chipset North Bridge voltage following almost the same rules as in the previous case.

However, maximum FSB frequency when the board remained stable turned out considerably lower than in the previous case. Our best result is 460MHz.

So, i'm concerned, cause i'm getting the QX9450 with 8x multiplier, and it will be hard to run the FSB higher than 450MHz prolly.

Also check this FSB overclock on the QX9650:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3907&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=2

It will be hard to overclock.

$n][pErMan
11-28-07, 06:26 PM
Not sure how this holds today... but I remember years back, even with an overclock, if you could get a higher FSB but the total GHz was slightly lower, it was still overall better at performance because of the FSB. But if the new chips could run the higher multiplier and the faster FSB and are only being dumbed down.. thats lame. I wonder if you can unlock intel CPU's with a hard mod? I rememeber unclocking my old Socket A AMD CPU's with a simple mod on the CPU pins or the back of the motherboard.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-28-07, 06:30 PM
I remember back with the old Pentium 4 Northwoods that didn't have hyperthreading enabled, some people thought they could enable it by removing the A31 pin from the CPU :rofl

idiots :lol:

I don't think you can unlock the multipliers with any sort of mod.

sillyeagle
11-28-07, 10:07 PM
[pErMan']Not sure how this holds today... but I remember years back, even with an overclock, if you could get a higher FSB but the total GHz was slightly lower, it was still overall better at performance because of the FSB. But if the new chips could run the higher multiplier and the faster FSB and are only being dumbed down.. thats lame. I wonder if you can unlock intel CPU's with a hard mod? I rememeber unclocking my old Socket A AMD CPU's with a simple mod on the CPU pins or the back of the motherboard.

The FSB on these is already high enough, to the point where taking it higher doesn't help any. In reference to the upcomming 400MHz FSB, Intel was quoted as saying it will not help with performance, only marketing.