PDA

View Full Version : Factory overclocking...?

Jsunn
11-28-07, 01:45 PM
Hello,

I am a n00b. :D

I am looking to get an EVGA 8800 GT. Now they offer several versions of the facotry overclocking from the standard 600MHz to 700MHz on the SSC version. Is there any benifit of getting the factory OC or should I just get the base model and OC it myself?

Thanks for your help.

-J

Athena
11-28-07, 03:19 PM
the advantage is that the factory unit will work at least as fast as the factory OC states it will. You might buy the 600 Mhz version and it will only OC to 610 Mhz. Then what will you do?

Tr1cK
11-28-07, 03:35 PM
AFAIK, EVGA is the only brand to warranty cards that have been user overclocked. Buying higher clocked cards is just a guarantee that it should clock it's rated speed plus some.

XDanger
11-28-07, 04:12 PM
625 counts as an OC card, Meh

LycosV
11-28-07, 09:02 PM
Companies that sell overclocked cards more than likely test all of their cards' overclocking abilities, then mark them as an appropriate model. If you buy a low clocked card from a company that sells overclocked ones, (like eVGA) the chances that you're going to be able to overclock it above a higher model are slim.

Preparat
11-29-07, 12:32 PM
Companies that sell overclocked cards more than likely test all of their cards' overclocking abilities, then mark them as an appropriate model. If you buy a low clocked card from a company that sells overclocked ones, (like eVGA) the chances that you're going to be able to overclock it above a higher model are slim.

Yeah i thought so too but i got an XFX not overclocked anyway... and its stable at 726 Core/1900 Shaders/950 memory on stock cooling 60% Fan
guess i was lucky

Going to install a VF1000 with copper ramsinks when it arives in a few days

methimpikehoses
11-29-07, 12:41 PM
My EVGA 8800GT OC (650) easily went to SSC speeds (700). It will go much higher than that too. I believe it's luck of the draw for anything beyond 700 or so.

ATOJAR
11-29-07, 02:44 PM
All they do with factory overclocked cards is flash the bios with a higher clock speed, thats all i have done, i do overclock my components but as you can see from my sig i dont overclock to the extreme, ive had my gfx card to 756MHz clock core and 1890MHz shader speeds just for testing, i can also quite easily run my CPU at 3.6GHz+ .... i just prefere not to stress the parts to much and it runs\plays avery thing fine!

I flashed my cards bios to the speeds in the sig and also added a aftermarket cooler. card idles at 48c and under load gets to 70c - 75c.

walterman
11-29-07, 03:19 PM
Dunno about EVGA, but i had horrible experiences with my old factory overclocked 7900GTX from XFX. They dunno how to test a card to ensure that the overclock is working. My card was even failing to pass the simple nvidia frequencies test on the old driver.

avirox
11-29-07, 03:23 PM
EVGA SC is at 650/1900 which is decent. The EVGA SSC edition is at 700/2000 and has the highest shader factory overclock that I know of. At those clocks it should be about as fast as the GTX and for almost half the price too - the problem is finding them in stock :x