PDA

View Full Version : nForce 4 SATA driver problems

CaptNKILL
11-28-07, 11:26 PM
This is driving me nuts.

I just pretty much finished a PC for my friend, but I remembered that it was booting and loading games a bit slowly so I ran HDTune to check the transfer speeds. It was getting between 2 and 10Mb\sec, when it should have been getting over 50.

Its running a DFI Nforce 4 Ultra board, a WD 120Gb SATA 150 drive and XP Home SP2 (with a crap load of updates slipstreamed onto the disk... though I didn't do this myself)

I figured "ah, I probably just need to install the IDE driver". So I installed the ones from the latest official nforce 4 driver package. Which, as usual, f***ed up the computer (thanks again nvidia). It freezes constantly and won't boot most of the time. When I try to load HDTune, everything except the mouse freezes up. When I can successfully get into safe mode, I can uninstall the IDE drivers through device manager and it goes back to normal. It still benches horribly and things still seem slow to load.

I tried the newest unified\remixed driver package with the latest SATA drivers and it does the same exact thing.

I did manage to get into device manager once with the driver installed and I disabled read and write caching as well as automatic transfer speed settings, and after a reboot this actually seemed to help a little. I ran HDTune and to my surprise, it loaded fine. I ran the bench and it started out at 54Mb\sec... then it dropped to 2Mb\sec again and slowly rose up. If I tried doing anything while the test was running, windows would freeze.

I just don't understand it. Everything works perfectly fine, but hard drive transfer speeds are terrible. The drive gets almost perfect SMART scores in SpeedFan. It defragged fine earlier today. It doesn't even seem anywhere near as slow as the benchmarks are saying.

The PC is perfect except for the transfer speeds in benchmarks and some load times. When I install the Nvidia IDE driver and reboot, the system freezes at random times for several minutes at a time.

I've had problems like this with other drives and other nforce boards when trying to use their crappy IDE drivers, but this time I actually NEED the driver to work. It could possibly be related to an update that was slipstreamed onto the XP install disk. I didn't put this disk together myself, so I don't know all of whats on there. I just know it was up to date as of July 2007.

What can I do to get this working?

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 12:14 AM
Hmm...

You know, I think it may have been related to the PATA driver, not the SATA driver (which install in the same package). I uninstalled the driver for the nvidia parallel ata controller, and left the nvidia sata driver installed and it appears to be working fine now. Its benching normal and I'm not having any freezes.

I'll still have to do more testing though.

The funny thing is that its probably a compatibility issue with the DVD-ROM I have in here, and that is just a temporary drive. The person I'm selling this PC to is going to put their DVD Burner in this system.

:retard:

EDIT: Nevermind. Just removed the DVD drive, booted, and it froze again.

What the hell is going on here? :|:|:|:|:|

nekrosoft13
11-29-07, 12:19 AM
nvidia PATA driver has been discontinued because of problems, and in latest package it has been deactivated.

SATA driver can also cause problems, in cause of issues, it is always recommended to use MS default drivers.

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 12:22 AM
nvidia PATA driver has been discontinued because of problems, and in latest package it has been deactivated.

SATA driver can also cause problems, in cause of issues, it is always recommended to use MS default drivers.
I would use the defaults, but like I said, they give me terrible performance for some reason.

nekrosoft13
11-29-07, 12:24 AM
I would use the defaults, but like I said, they give me terrible performance for some reason.

that probably because your drives run in PIO mode.

some boards have a setting for that in Bios.

also read this
http://winhlp.com/node/10

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 12:45 AM
that probably because your drives run in PIO mode.

some boards have a setting for that in Bios.

also read this
http://winhlp.com/node/10
I know about PIO mode, I've had to change that in the past. But I'm not using an optical drive right now (I removed the DVD drive). The performance problems are with my Western Digital SATA 150 drive.

But get this... I just uninstalled the nvidia drivers again, and the hard drive seems to be benchmarking at normal speeds. :retard:

I have no clue whats going on now. :p

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 01:48 AM
Oh well... seems to be fine now. With or without the DVD drive.

The transfer speed tests in HDTune aren't real consistent (huge fluctuations), but the drive's SMART status checks out and its overall speed is about where it should be.

I don't really know what happened. It wouldn't get over 10Mb\sec before, but I basically installed and uninstalled the same drivers 10 times and now its fine.

I love wasting 4 hours on PC problems that go away on their own...

SLippe
11-29-07, 02:00 AM
Were you using the 6.86 drivers?

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 02:13 AM
Were you using the 6.86 drivers?
Yeah.

And I tried the unofficial ones that are about a year newer.

Now I'm using the windows drivers.

I just can't wait until all of these freaking computers are out of my room and I don't have to worry about them any more. I have 5 of them I want to sell. Probably about $900 worth of crap if I can ever get it all finished. This one with the driver issues accounts for half of that. If I don't run into any more problems before this weekend I'll get $475 for it.

firehawk
11-30-07, 12:25 AM
ok - you describe what i have been dealing with for a freaking year now. drives check out but huge drop in transfer speeds for no reason that i can figure out on my own. i just gave up and said screw this ****.

6.86 on a asus a8n32 sli btw

Mr Bigman
11-30-07, 02:22 PM
The Nforce 4 was Nvidias bad stepchild.

it ran superhot, it wasn't compatible with XFI soundcards right. Popping and hissing, and was limited in memory bandwidth.

Im glad i got away from the Nforce4. and drivers aren't a priority for Nvidia anymore. Look July 06 was the last ones.