PDA

View Full Version : Q6600 dead from 1.35V?

Pages : [1] 2

XxDeadlyxX
11-29-07, 01:51 AM
Is 1.35V enough to kill a Q6600? After running 4 instances of Prime95 for 30 seconds at 1.35V, PC froze and now it won't POST, reseting CMOS doesn't help. Temps were fine with Ultra 120 extreme, the cpu had run at much higher temps before I got this new cooler.

methimpikehoses
11-29-07, 01:54 AM
Is 1.35V enough to kill a Q6600? After running 4 instances of Prime95 for 30 seconds at 1.35V, PC froze and now it won't POST, reseting CMOS doesn't help. Temps were fine with Ultra 120 extreme, the cpu had run at much higher temps before I got this new cooler.

People have run them with voltages up to 1.5 on this forum... must be something else going on.

Technoholic
11-29-07, 02:23 AM
Did everything turn on fine, but doesn't post?

XxDeadlyxX
11-29-07, 03:03 AM
Did everything turn on fine, but doesn't post?

That's right.

Technoholic
11-29-07, 03:07 AM
It could not be CPU then, it could be something else... RAM...power cables not seated correctly... You could try reseat everything.

XxDeadlyxX
11-29-07, 03:24 AM
Ram in or out makes no difference, tried unplugging and replugging everything, it would be too much of a co-incedence for it to be something else due to the fact it wouldnt POST right after freezing during Prime95.

GeeeEighty
11-29-07, 03:54 AM
Ram in or out makes no difference, tried unplugging and replugging everything, it would be too much of a co-incedence for it to be something else due to the fact it wouldnt POST right after freezing during Prime95.

That would be just crazy then because I ran my Q6600@1.55vc for a long time before I finally settled for 3.4ghz overclock instead of a 3.6ghz overclock.

Right now im at 1.4vc and rock stable.

XxDeadlyxX
11-29-07, 04:58 AM
Hmm yeh... well I took the CPU out and disconnected everything except GPU still in... does exactly the same thing - the GPUs fan spins up and no beeps.

Something weird though... when I press the power button it turns on for a split second then off again... then turns itself on properly about 4 seconds later.

This motherboard was doing weird things when it was working too... such as if I pulled the power plug out and pushed it back in and turned on PC... it did a similar thing... it would turn on for about 1 second then turn off and then back on again.

Does this point to a motherboard failure? I would much rather replace the mobo than the CPU as I never liked this motherboard anyway. Also have been running it without its I/O panel because it didn't come with one... don't know if that makes a scrap of difference though.

Slammin
11-29-07, 06:06 AM
No POST codes (beeps) makes me think mobo"

This:

"Something weird though... when I press the power button it turns on for a split second then off again... then turns itself on properly about 4 seconds later."

Makes me think mobo too, though PSU could be the issue too.

XxDeadlyxX
11-29-07, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

I took absolutely everything out and put it all back... and it works. Weirdo.

Anyway I definitely won't be overclocking until I buy a new PSU... but damn I'm glad nothing died (nana2)

:afro:

conroejoe
11-29-07, 09:35 AM

Anyway I definitely won't be overclocking until I buy a new PSU... but damn I'm glad nothing died (nana2)

Sometimes if an overclock fails you pull out the CPU and re-insert it it's like a hardware reset. The board will think a new CPU was installed - it doesn't know it's the same one - and it will do something that even a CMOS reset doesn't do. I've had this problem before and that has fixed it on a DS3 rev 1 and rev 3.3, p5b deluxe and p5b-e.

I've had buddies have the same thing happen and sure enough popping the CPU and reinserting it will always make what appears to be a dead board or PSU work again.

DiscipleDOC
11-29-07, 09:49 AM
That would be just crazy then because I ran my Q6600@1.55vc for a long time before I finally settled for 3.4ghz overclock instead of a 3.6ghz overclock.

Right now im at 1.4vc and rock stable.
I'm running mine at 1.55v(bios), but windows is reporting it as 1.4...but yea...it's running well....

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 11:30 AM
If you ever run into that problem again, unplug the power cable, hold the power button (the lights should flick on for a second to discharge the PSU and board) and then just to be extra thorough, remove the CMOS battery for a minute.

GeeeEighty
11-29-07, 02:15 PM
If you ever run into that problem again, unplug the power cable, hold the power button (the lights should flick on for a second to discharge the PSU and board) and then just to be extra thorough, remove the CMOS battery for a minute.

Thats exactly the correct way to do it, drain the board entirely. You dont have to pop out the CPU as conroejoe suggested. LOL.

DiscipleDOC
11-29-07, 02:59 PM
Thats exactly the correct way to do it, drain the board entirely. You dont have to pop out the CPU as conroejoe suggested. LOL.
True...I would even suggest leaving the battery out for at least 30 minutes.

GeeeEighty
11-29-07, 03:17 PM
True...I would even suggest leaving the battery out for at least 30 minutes.

You could do that but as long as you unplug the PSU and then press the power button on your computer a few times that should completely drain the entire system in a matter of seconds.

lduguay
11-29-07, 03:31 PM
You could do that but as long as you unplug the PSU and then press the power button on your computer a few times that should completely drain the entire system in a matter of seconds.
(omg) Pressing the power button without the power cord plugged in will... ... do nothing at all other than the placebo effect of thinking you've "drained" your system.

conroejoe
11-29-07, 04:05 PM
Pulling the battery and unplugging the PSU from the wall didn't work. I had to pull the chip to reset it. LOL

einstein_314
11-29-07, 04:12 PM
Why didn't you just use the CMOS reset jumper....that's what it's for....

Revs
11-29-07, 04:33 PM

I've had the same thing with my Striker a few times. Turned out to be the voltage was too low for my OC. It's a really strange problem. Different things cured it almost every time. Sometimes taking the graphics cards out and putting them back in sorted it. Sometimes the RAM. Sometimes I had to remove the BIOS battery for ages (leaving the BIOS reset button on reset for ages didn't work though, which is really strange). It would be fine for a while then suddenly it wouldn't turn on. Well, it'd turn on and the fans would go, but nothing else. The LCD screen on the mobo always said 'CPU INI'.

The way I stopped it happening was setting the vCore to 'Auto'. If I set it to 1.5v myself it would droop and cause the problem. On auto it sets itself the the same vCore but doesn't droop. I still have no explanation but it's rock solid now.

Revs
11-29-07, 04:37 PM
(omg) Pressing the power button without the power cord plugged in will... ... do nothing at all other than the placebo effect of thinking you've "drained" your system.

True

GeeeEighty
11-29-07, 04:40 PM

As long as you remove the battery to clear cmos and then unplug the power cord from the psu and then press the on button a few times it will indeed drain the power completely you tard.

There is no reason to go through all the hassle of removing your CPU cooler and popping out the CPU as conroejoe suggested.:rolleyes:

GeeeEighty
11-29-07, 04:42 PM
The way I stopped it happening was setting the vCore to 'Auto'. If I set it to 1.5v myself it would droop and cause the problem. On auto it sets itself the the same vCore but doesn't droop. I still have no explanation but it's rock solid now.

Gotta love the buggy unstable nvidia chipset. lawl.

Revs
11-29-07, 05:15 PM
Gotta love the buggy unstable nvidia chipset. lawl.

They are a little fiddley to say the least :headexplode:

Xion X2
11-29-07, 05:51 PM
Actually, you're wrong. If you watch the LED (if you have one) on the front of your case you can see it light up and slowly dim with the power button pressed in when disconnected from an outlet.

The same applies to draining a car battery. Undo the battery cables and pump the brakes a few good times and it will drain all the electricity out of the system.