PDA

View Full Version : Lame Mouse

seeker
11-29-07, 06:14 PM
A problem with the mouse began yesterday. It moves vertically just fine, but moving horizontally is very erradic. At first I thought that the problem was the mouse itself, but I swapped mice, and changed the driver, but no joy. I then swapped connections for the USB receiver, but again no joy. I uninstalled everything related in the Device Manager...no joy. I boot into a different OS and yet no joy.

It would appear that there is a hardware problem other than the mouse itself, but I have 3 sets of USB connectors with 2 connecting via plugins on the motherboard, and 1 that is builtin to the rear IO panel, but it seems to make no difference which I choose.

I'm thinking that the proiblem is with the motherboard...but is it? I could understand if it didn't work at all, or it worked as badly on either axis, but why should one be bad and one good?

LORD-eX-Bu
11-29-07, 06:30 PM
what mouse is it? have you tried it on another computer?

it doesn't use a ball at the bottom right? :lol:

crainger
11-29-07, 06:49 PM
If the poor thing is lame it would be best to put it to sleep.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-29-07, 06:50 PM
that is so wrong :rofl

seeker
11-29-07, 08:34 PM
what mouse is it? have you tried it on another computer?

it doesn't use a ball at the bottom right? :lol:
As I said, the problem remains the same with 2 different mice....MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and Logitech MX610 laser mouse. I only have one computer, but also as I said, the problem is likely something besides the mouse.

seeker
11-29-07, 08:37 PM
If the poor thing is lame it would be best to put it to sleep.
While I understand your humor, I'm not laughing. Perhaps you might have a more serious input? If not serious, at least sincere.

Bman212121
11-29-07, 08:43 PM
Yea that definitely seems odd. I would really try to find another pc from a friend or somewhere you can try those mice on. You won't need drivers to make them work, and if you just plug them in and there aren't issues then it's probably something to do with your pc.

There isn't really a lot of options for USB ports on a pc, so it's hard to say what it even causing it. Seems to me my cousin was having issues like that before, but it wasn't just one direction that the mouse was having problems in, but rather the mouse would just quit here and there. If you have one of those PS/2 to USB connectors, I would try using your USB mouse in a PS/2 port if you can. That might be a possible workaround to at least test.

seeker
11-29-07, 09:33 PM
Yea that definitely seems odd. I would really try to find another pc from a friend or somewhere you can try those mice on. You won't need drivers to make them work, and if you just plug them in and there aren't issues then it's probably something to do with your pc.

There isn't really a lot of options for USB ports on a pc, so it's hard to say what it even causing it. Seems to me my cousin was having issues like that before, but it wasn't just one direction that the mouse was having problems in, but rather the mouse would just quit here and there. If you have one of those PS/2 to USB connectors, I would try using your USB mouse in a PS/2 port if you can. That might be a possible workaround to at least test.
That was an excellent suggestion, but unfortunately it did not work...that is not entirely, There was some improvement, but the problem is still noticeable.

Thus my confusion grows. What else is related to mice and cursors that would effect both USB and PS/2?

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 09:45 PM
Wow this has me stumped.

If it does it in more than one OS then it most likely isn't software related.

Just out of curiosity, what OSes have you tried? Is it possible that "something" changed that could have effected all of your OSes the same way? Maybe you added a device recently or changed a BIOS setting?

This really has me stumped.

One other thing you can try is booting from an OS CD that will give you some sort of mouse support without actually reinstalling (ie, Vista, or a Live CD like Mepis, Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc...). If you still get problems when booting from a CD then its definitely a hardware problem.

What hardware though, I have no idea.

Most likely the motherboard, but its such a strange problem that it could just be a compatibility issue with some other device.

Once you narrow it down to hardware, you'll most likely have to do the last thing anyone ever wants to do... take your board out of your case, hook it up and run it on a table or on the floor with minimal components attached. If you still get the problem, try swapping any components that you have replacements for, if it STILL does it, its 99.99% likely that its the motherboard.

lduguay
11-29-07, 09:46 PM
Try a different surface, like a textured mouse pad

seeker
11-29-07, 09:57 PM
Try a different surface, like a textured mouse pad
I had thought of this just before reading your post, and it definitely was a factor. I use a kneeboard mouse pad that has a dark gray cloth surface, which normally works fine. However, the color tends to camouflage any stains. After thoroughly Windexing it, the problem has almost disappearred. I guess that there was something on it that refracted the laser a bit ****eyed.

I have always had a problem with laser mice along this vein. With my old optical mouse I could just use my pants leg. Perhaps a different pad on the board is the answer.

Bman212121
11-29-07, 09:58 PM
^^^ What he said

The only bios setting I can think of off hand is there should something for USB mouse emulation, which allows you to use a USB mouse in dos. You can trying changing that value of that but I'm not sure if that will have any effect.

CaptNKILL
11-29-07, 10:10 PM
I had thought of this just before reading your post, and it definitely was a factor. I use a kneeboard mouse pad that has a dark gray cloth surface, which normally works fine. However, the color tends to camouflage any stains. After thoroughly Windexing it, the problem has almost disappearred. I guess that there was something on it that refracted the laser a bit ****eyed.

I have always had a problem with laser mice along this vein. With my old optical mouse I could just use my pants leg. Perhaps a different pad on the board is the answer.
Great. Glad you got it figured out.

Very strange problem though. I've never heard of anything like that effecting multiple mice in exactly the same way.

I haven't honestly seen a mouse in a while that had any problems tracking on different surfaces. I can't imagine what would cause that.

seeker
11-29-07, 10:18 PM
I guess that I'm a special case, because most people would agree with you about mouse tracking. However, when I first got a laser mouse, I nearly threw it in the trash, because it was much more picky about the working surface than an optical mouse. It is also much more sensitive to being on a flat surface than an optical...that is why I now use a kneeboard.

Bman212121
11-29-07, 10:19 PM
Yea same here. For me a laser mouse has been better at tracking on surfaces than optical ones did. Interesting that your pad has something to make them mad.