PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX overclocking?

Niot
11-29-07, 07:43 PM
I'm using the HR 03 Plus with a single 120MM fan.

How high can the card be pushed memory/core/shader without loosing stability or getting graphical artifacts? Can it be pushed to ultra level?

SeriTonin
11-29-07, 07:53 PM
download an overclocking utility over @ www.guru3d.com and then do some stability tests, which are usually built in with the oc'ing utility.

Niot
11-29-07, 09:11 PM
download an overclocking utility over @ www.guru3d.com and then do some stability tests, which are usually built in with the oc'ing utility.
How much do people usually get?

AOD CASPER
11-29-07, 10:10 PM
Depends, I can only get mine up to 648/1512/2000, thats core/shader/memory.

Niot
11-29-07, 10:18 PM
Depends, I can only get mine up to 648/1512/2000, thats core/shader/memory.
Is that generally considered low or high?

AOD CASPER
11-29-07, 10:45 PM
What brand 88GTX do you have? I would say try 648 on the core and 1000 on the memory and if you have the new version of RivaTuner you can change the shader clock, would not go any higher then 1512.

AOD CASPER
11-29-07, 10:46 PM
Mid with stock cooler

Blacklash
11-29-07, 11:55 PM
It's luck of the draw. Most old core GTXs max around 650-675. If you luck out and get one with the A3 revision which the Ultra is based on you may see 690 or even 700. That could require a hard mod if your voltage is not enough.

Most GTXs will do a 1500-1566 shader clock. I haven't tried a later revision, they may do more.

I got my GTX in Nov of last year. It will do 661|2040 with a 1601 shader clock. At times I've been able to briefly bench 675 and it's very hit and miss.

Once you find your max OC and are sure it's stable you may flash in that clock if you like. I did that so I wouldn't need to keep bothering with adjusting the clock. I saved my shipped BIOS, modded that same BIOS, then flashed it in. IMO they key to trouble free is to use your shipped card BIOS as the base and not one from another card.

If you want a great flashing guide try this-

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1199078

I've only had one bad flash in all my time doing it and that was when I owned a 6800GT. What I did to correct it was install a PCI graphics card then flash my 6800GT back to its original BIOS. It was simple and effortless. You can "blind" flash them back and I'd rather just use a cheap PCI card to see wtf I am doing :p

I used ATi Tool's scanner and let the cube tumble @ 1300+FPS for 5 hours before I flashed my clock in. ATi Tool-

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=45596

To use it with Vista x64 you need to kill driver check on post before you boot via F8. If you own the PRO version of 3dmark06 you could also loop that hours as a test as well. Do it with AA and AF piled on @ your highest capable resolution.

If you haven't had that GTX long I'd return it, buy a 8800GT, and pocket the extra cash. Running a GT @ 650-700 with a 1600-1800 shader clock would give you a whole lot of performance for a reasonable amount of cash.

For the record, on the stock cooler I couldn't hold more than 635, and that required I have the fan @ 80-100% to be stable in demanding games. The Thermalright HR-03 Plus helped me quite a bit.

JaxMacFL
11-30-07, 11:00 AM
That is a good oc on air. I use rt to oc and I have found that if you set core at 635 your card is actually running at 648 (check rt hardware monitoring). I run mine at 648/1620/2052 as default. Right now I am idling at 48c. I have the zalman vf-1000 with the zm-rhs88 heatsink though which is one of the best, imho. With stock cooling I would idle around 60c. My card came pre-overclocked at 630 (which is actually 621)/1350/2000.

Download RivaTuner, take some time to get familiar with it and see what you've got. Also, have fun with it.

Oh, I also keep all my fans running at 100%. Being high end coolers ands fans it shouldn't phase them in the least.

Dual Core Joe
11-30-07, 12:09 PM
I just bought another XFX GTX. This one was a great deal (460.00) so I bought it. The trouble is my first XFX GTX is an over clocked version. As I understand it when I install the standard GTX they then will BOTH run at the lower clock version speeds??? How can I over clock the standard up to the other card to get them to both run at the OC'd speeds?

Thanks.

Niot
11-30-07, 01:45 PM
It's luck of the draw. Most old core GTXs max around 650-675. If you luck out and get one with the A3 revision which the Ultra is based on you may see 690 or even 700. That could require a hard mod if your voltage is not enough.

Most GTXs will do a 1500-1566 shader clock. I haven't tried a later revision, they may do more.

I got my GTX in Nov of last year. It will do 661|2040 with a 1601 shader clock. At times I've been able to briefly bench 675 and it's very hit and miss.

Once you find your max OC and are sure it's stable you may flash in that clock if you like. I did that so I wouldn't need to keep bothering with adjusting the clock. I saved my shipped BIOS, modded that same BIOS, then flashed it in. IMO they key to trouble free is to use your shipped card BIOS as the base and not one from another card.

I've only had one bad flash in all my time doing it and that was when I owned a 6800GT. What I did to correct it was install a PCI graphics card then flash my 6800GT back to its original BIOS. It was simple and effortless. You can "blind" flash them back and I'd rather just use a cheap PCI card to see wtf I am doing :p

I used ATi Tool's scanner and let the cube tumble @ 1300+FPS for 5 hours before I flashed my clock in. ATi Tool-

To use it with Vista x64 you need to kill driver check on post before you boot via F8. If you own the PRO version of 3dmark06 you could also loop that hours as a test as well. Do it with AA and AF piled on @ your highest capable resolution.

If you haven't had that GTX long I'd return it, buy a 8800GT, and pocket the extra cash. Running a GT @ 650-700 with a 1600-1800 shader clock would give you a whole lot of performance for a reasonable amount of cash.

For the record, on the stock cooler I couldn't hold more than 635, and that required I have the fan @ 80-100% to be stable in demanding games. The Thermalright HR-03 Plus helped me quite a bit.
How do I know which core my GTX is? Is there some label or batch number that I can check?

Is the newer core GTX the same as the Ultra, just lower clocked?

What is flashing? I used to just letting the program increase the clock speed when windows starts. What good does flashing do and is it safe?

Eliminator
11-30-07, 03:19 PM
How do I know which core my GTX is? Is there some label or batch number that I can check?

Is the newer core GTX the same as the Ultra, just lower clocked?

What is flashing? I used to just letting the program increase the clock speed when windows starts. What good does flashing do and is it safe?
you can check if its A2 or A3 using rivatuner or taking off the heatsink... flashing means replacing the bios image file on the card.. not everyone gets such high clocks even with a HR03... mine tops out at 621/1620/2000... anything higher just locks up... i have the A2 rev

Niot
11-30-07, 05:50 PM
you can check if its A2 or A3 using rivatuner or taking off the heatsink... flashing means replacing the bios image file on the card.. not everyone gets such high clocks even with a HR03... mine tops out at 621/1620/2000... anything higher just locks up... i have the A2 rev
Is the A3 bettter?

Damn it's the A2. This sucks. How bad is the A2?

I cancelled my order, if it won't go very high there is no point.

I use an E6600, is it much better to spend the money of the Tuniq tower and push up the CPU instead of getting a mild OC on the video card?

Niot
11-30-07, 07:08 PM
I think getting a Zalman VF1000 plus the Freezer 7 pro is the most cost efficient solution. I don't want to spend too much money on this, because I need to save up for the next generation.

The VF1000 costs 15 dollars less than the HR-03 because you don't have to buy the fan, and it's a few dollars cheaper.

The Freezer 7 pro is a good budget cooler at 20 dollars, it can handle mild OCs.

My batch of the E6600 can go over 3 GHZ easily with the normal Vcore. So if I OC with the regular Vcore then the Freezer 7 Pro with Arctic Silver can handle it.

Dual Core Joe
11-30-07, 07:52 PM
Both my GTX's are running around 80C when under load. Id hate to have to spend money for TWO VF1000's.....

Niot
11-30-07, 08:14 PM
Both my GTX's are running around 80C when under load. Id hate to have to spend money for TWO VF1000's.....
But they are still much cheaper than the HR03, which doesn't come with the fan.

I'll just go with my configuration, can't spend like more than 100 dollars to OC the system, that's way too much.

Niot
12-03-07, 05:47 PM
Ok, I'm going to order the Zalman VF1000 and the Freezer for the GTX and E6600, is this a good choice?

Can I get some quick last moment comments?

Niot
12-03-07, 08:26 PM
I wasn't aware that you need extra heatskins for the vram with the zalman. Looks like I'll have to get the Hr-03 Plus after all.

Can someone recommend a fan that can last very long to go with it? Is any double ball bearing good?

By0T0xN
12-03-07, 08:52 PM
I can only get 612/1404/1060 out of my A2.:thumbdwn:

I was pretty bummed when I realized I got a weak core. Ram rocks though. Not bad @ 2120mhz. The core makes me wanna rma it. I even replaced the tim with AS5 to see if that would help. Only brought the temps down a little. No OC gains though. That's why I didnt bother getting the Thermalalright HS. Wouldn't make that much duiffernce anyways. Might run cooler but rather doubt it would lend to any boost in freqs.

Niot
12-03-07, 08:54 PM
I can only get 612/1404/1060 out of my A2.:thumbdwn:

I was pretty bummed when I realized I got a weak core. Ram rocks though. Not bad @ 2120mhz. The core makes me wanna rma it. I even replaced the tim with AS5 to see if that would help. Only brought the temps down a little. No OC gains though. That's why I didnt bother getting the Thermalalright HS. Wouldn't make that much duiffernce anyways. Might run cooler but rather doubt it would lend to any boost in freqs.I'm getting the HR-11 for 20 dollars. It doesn't take up all PCI slots as the Hr-03 does, and it is cheaper.

Since I can't OC that much, I'm not going to get such an expensive cooler.

Niot
12-07-07, 10:22 PM
Not all A2 cores will OC too badly right?

Niot
12-07-07, 10:28 PM

How can flashes go bad?