PDA

View Full Version : When Will Computer LCD Gaming Monitors Hit 120Hz?

Digital_Trans
11-30-07, 01:27 AM
I've been seeing alot of really nice HD LCD televisions pushing 120Hz on the market such as Samsung and Sony. I was just wondering if anytime soon should we see this technology trend come to into the PC market anytime soon in the near future? :) My Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD Model: 3007WFP-HC pushes 60Hz but 120Hz sure would be nice to have.

Amuro
11-30-07, 01:42 AM
What is the benefit for having 120Hz other than making 24p video playback smoother?

Madpistol
11-30-07, 08:59 AM
Unfortunately, the high-end LCD monitor market is not where the money is made at, so we sorta get pushed to the side in light of LCD TVs. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but it could be a while. :(

Hoopla
11-30-07, 09:39 AM
What is the benefit for having 120Hz other than making 24p video playback smoother?

The answer is in your question...

lduguay
11-30-07, 09:53 AM
I've been seeing alot of really nice HD LCD televisions pushing 120Hz on the market such as Samsung and Sony. I was just wondering if anytime soon should we see this technology trend come to into the PC market anytime soon in the near future? :) My Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD Model: 3007WFP-HC pushes 60Hz but 120Hz sure would be nice to have.
Well that could help with when Vsync is ON. Other than that, you wont see much differences while gaming.

Hoopla
11-30-07, 09:55 AM
I think that it will be great for gaming. Smoothing screen movement in shooters can only be a good thing. Less blur = good.

lduguay
11-30-07, 10:08 AM
I think that it will be great for gaming. Smoothing screen movement in shooters can only be a good thing. Less blur = good.
Unfortunatly motion blur has little to do with the refresh rate on a LCD. Fast response time is what you should look for.

Hoopla
11-30-07, 10:11 AM
Fast response time is a different thing. If you've seen one of the new 120HZ HDTVs in action you would see how they smooth things out. One of these things you have to see to understand, I was amazed first time I saw it.

lduguay
11-30-07, 10:15 AM
Fast response time is a different thing. If you've seen one of the new 120HZ HDTVs in action you would see how they smooth things out. One of these things you have to see to understand, I was amazed first time I saw it.
Gaming and watching movies are two different things. And yes i saw the new 120Hz HDTV off a 24p HD-DVD. Very nice until you play 30hz video...

Hoopla
11-30-07, 11:43 AM
I don't care how they make it work as long as they do :D

Absolution
11-30-07, 01:42 PM
why does everyone forget that this allows you to have 120fps with vertical sync ON instead of just 60fps

lduguay
11-30-07, 02:15 PM
why does everyone forget that this allows you to have 120fps with vertical sync ON instead of just 60fps
2560x1600 @ 120hz ftw

Hoopla
11-30-07, 04:47 PM
As far as I understand, they still run at 60HZ.

From the Samsung website:

This technology doubles the frame rate from 60 to 120 frames per second (120Hz LCD panel) without repeating the same image to make more frames. Instead, the TV intelligently calculates the middle image between frame A and frame B and inserts it in between (Auto Motion Plus 120Hz processor), making a fluid transition from one frame to the next.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/images/2007/ce/tv/LNT71Series/AutoMotionPlus120Hz_img01.jpg

That means that you will have to set max frame rate to 60hz, not 120hz.

crainger
11-30-07, 05:43 PM
My TV does this. It can make whatever you are watching look kinda weird. It's hard to explain. Everything is smooth and fluid, but it just doesn't look like a movie. Looks more like the Behind the Scenes featurettes you get on the special features. As I said it's hard to explain, you have to see it in person.

Greg
12-01-07, 01:13 AM
Have a read of this article, it talks about LCD refresh rates, benefits of >60hz and why we may not see much progress in near future:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/TempRate.mspx

BrianG
12-01-07, 08:32 AM
We just got a Sharp 120Hz Aquos as the difference when compared to other LCDs was enough to get me over my plasma snobbery. My biggest complaint, being an avid CFB and CBB fan, was that the background would go "soft" anytime the camera tracked a moving object. Static images, I loved my parents Philips LCD. Sports? Not so much.

It really is hard to explain, but having a plasma and an LCD side by side, you could perceive the difference, no matter the response time on the LCD. It doubles with 24fps playback.

All that said, I don't know if it would help much when gaming. It certainly would be nice to have a V-sync limit of 120hz, allowing the GPU to break the glass ceiling and constantly flex its triple buffering muscles. I'll be building an HTPC soon, so I'll be able to stream HD content and quickly run from PC to HTPC to see the benefits of 120Hz in an extreme demo.

BrianG
12-01-07, 08:36 AM
My TV does this. It can make whatever you are watching look kinda weird. It's hard to explain. Everything is smooth and fluid, but it just doesn't look like a movie. Looks more like the Behind the Scenes featurettes you get on the special features. As I said it's hard to explain, you have to see it in person.
It is an interesting side effect that maybe comes at a price. A guy at avsforum mentioned that it took Transformers, one of the best examples of integrated CGI into live action and made it look noticably fake. As if the repition of five frames with out flicker was enough to unmask the effects.

All I know is that when I playback 480i DVD content, it has NEVER looked better. In fact, it is good enough to stave off temptation for an HD-DVD player until prices drop radically.

Sidebar, upconverting DVD players FTL with the Aquos line. Double scaling is not the way to go.