PDA

View Full Version : Killed 6 Dimms

Feyy
11-30-07, 04:23 PM
Well this story is quite strange and odd.

When i first got my new pc, i got Kingston DDR2 PC6400 and that died after 1 week. Then i ordered OCZ PC6400 Platinum Edition and that died (fried?) after 3 months. Also when the OCZ died it took Windows XP down with it and i couldnt even boot into Windows, or re-install it. So i swapped memory with second pair of OCZ dimms and that died after 5 seconds. So, flushed bios, and managed to re-install windows with two 128MB oldschool Dimms :headexplode:

In conclusion: Something is killing my ram, now all dimms were overclocked but never over any voltage limitations. Kingston ones had no voltage change and OCZ ones were on 2V (within safe limits on OCZ site). Dimms were never seriously overclocked, 40mhz MAX.

Any ideas/questions? :o

Eliminator
11-30-07, 04:25 PM
i think its the motherboard... a friend of mine had an issue where his mobo would keep frying his ram until he got a new mobo

Feyy
11-30-07, 04:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that my BadAxe2 is a memory killer :(

hirantha
11-30-07, 04:29 PM
i bet ya its a bad transistor on your board thats kill them :(

Feyy
11-30-07, 04:38 PM
Well thank's for your replies guys, i'll investigate a bit more, gonna RMA those two sets hopefully and if it happens again, i'll RMA An Intel Board... O_O

loafer87gt
12-16-07, 12:50 AM
Just saw this thread and thought I thought I should tell you that I have also had four sticks of memory go bad with my Bad Axe 2. All of my fried sticks have been in memory slot 3. Reading through the Intel forums at extreme systems it seems a lot of users are having problems with this board frying memory, particularily when all four ram slots are occupied.

CaptNKILL
12-16-07, 01:03 AM
Wow that sucks.

:o

crainger
12-16-07, 01:12 AM
680is have issues, Bad Axes have issues. Glad I have a lowly 650i. :D

Dazz
12-16-07, 05:33 AM
It's something like the chipset increases voltage when all slots are occupied.