PDA

View Full Version : Prospecting for overclock - need a cheap motherboard

Rakeesh
11-30-07, 03:47 PM
I have my Q6700 coming next tuesday, and I am thinking about dumping the included DG33TL motherboard in favor of a motherboard that I can overclock with. That said, what is the cheapest motherboard that can overclock well and is stable to boot? I don't care what other features it has so long as it can overclock a Q6700 fine. I am looking to spend less than $150, and I want it to be a motherboard I can buy locally (e.g. fry's electronics,) so preferably a brand like Asus.

Also, I haven't paid attention to the basics of overclocking in years (since the P3 days) so I am not up to speed on how the memory timings should work. That said, what kind of memory should I need to overclock a Q6700 to 3.66ghz? Would DDR2-667 work fine? I am not interested in DDR2-800 unless it is absolutely necessary for this kind of overclock, as all benchmark tests I have seen indicate no performance benefit in going from 667 to 800.

methimpikehoses
11-30-07, 05:34 PM
Gigabyte,Asus, and Abit all have good P35 mobos for <$100.

Dazz
11-30-07, 05:36 PM
Problem with DDR667 is that it may limit your overclocking as your ram maybe overclocked if your FSB is high. The better option is an nForce board where you can lock the memory to a set speed and increase the FSB to the limit.

XDanger
11-30-07, 06:14 PM
ddr2-800 is cheap enough no? I guess you want to keep your current sticks.

Rakeesh
11-30-07, 09:51 PM
ddr2-800 is cheap enough no? I guess you want to keep your current sticks.

Exactly. Not only to save money, but buying memory sucks.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-07, 09:57 PM
I would recommend at least DDR2-800 :)

Rakeesh
11-30-07, 10:58 PM
I would recommend at least DDR2-800 :)

Why though? I don't see any benefit for that. All benchmarks I have seen indicate no performance improvement by going with DDR2-800.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-07, 11:12 PM
it depends on how high you want to OC. Unless you are going to be running your memory unlinked from your cpu fsb then you will need 800 Mhz DDR2.

Rakeesh
12-01-07, 01:12 AM
Gigabyte,Asus, and Abit all have good P35 mobos for <$100.

Any particular asus boards in mind that are known to be good ones? And are all P35 based boards known to be good overclockers?

methimpikehoses
12-01-07, 01:23 AM
Any particular asus boards in mind that are known to be good ones? And are all P35 based boards known to be good overclockers?

P5K, P5K-E...

It seems like the Asus boards have more problems than some of the others, but BIOS updates would probably fix most problems...

Abit and Gigabyte would be my first two choices:

gig:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

abit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

Abit also makes an IP35-E that's <$100, but no longer at the egg it seems. A few people here have them... can't remember who.

My board is rock solid... I think you'll find the P35 to be an excellent overclocker. Definitely a worthy successor to the P965's.

XDanger
12-01-07, 12:14 PM
un-linked would be nice , Id need memory that runs @ 1ghz to use 500fsb with my mobo.

CaptNKILL
12-01-07, 01:52 PM
I have my Q6700 coming next tuesday, and I am thinking about dumping the included DG33TL motherboard in favor of a motherboard that I can overclock with. That said, what is the cheapest motherboard that can overclock well and is stable to boot? I don't care what other features it has so long as it can overclock a Q6700 fine. I am looking to spend less than $150, and I want it to be a motherboard I can buy locally (e.g. fry's electronics,) so preferably a brand like Asus.

Also, I haven't paid attention to the basics of overclocking in years (since the P3 days) so I am not up to speed on how the memory timings should work. That said, what kind of memory should I need to overclock a Q6700 to 3.66ghz? Would DDR2-667 work fine? I am not interested in DDR2-800 unless it is absolutely necessary for this kind of overclock, as all benchmark tests I have seen indicate no performance benefit in going from 667 to 800.
There is practically zero price difference between DDR2-800 and anything slower. You'll need 800 for decent overclocking headroom anyway. 667 would only get you to 3.33Ghz.

The less you have to overclock your memory the fewer problems you'll have overclocking your CPU. If you plan on overclocking, always go with memory that will give you slightly more headroom than you'll need.

Unless you have some damned good cooling you probably won't be able to get to 3.66 without running at extremely high temps, but if you get an excellent chip you'll want to have good memory for it.

Also, I recommend a board from Gigabyte. I have a P35-DS3R and its awesome. I think its been replaced with the DS3L though. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Rakeesh
12-01-07, 08:58 PM
There is practically zero price difference between DDR2-800 and anything slower. You'll need 800 for decent overclocking headroom anyway. 667 would only get you to 3.33Ghz.

The less you have to overclock your memory the fewer problems you'll have overclocking your CPU. If you plan on overclocking, always go with memory that will give you slightly more headroom than you'll need.

Unless you have some damned good cooling you probably won't be able to get to 3.66 without running at extremely high temps, but if you get an excellent chip you'll want to have good memory for it.

Also, I recommend a board from Gigabyte. I have a P35-DS3R and its awesome. I think its been replaced with the DS3L though. I'm not sure what the difference is.

Seeing as you have probably done more research here, are the newer chipsets like the old ones where you need to use common multiples when setting the FSB speed, or else you'll potentially slow down other devices? E.g. back in the P3 days if you say for example set a 143mhz bus as opposed to a 133mhz bus, your south bridge could run a little slow due to it having to wait to sync with the north bridge.

Or can you just set the FSB to whatever arbitrary clock frequency you want now with no penalty?

CaptNKILL
12-02-07, 01:05 AM
Seeing as you have probably done more research here, are the newer chipsets like the old ones where you need to use common multiples when setting the FSB speed, or else you'll potentially slow down other devices? E.g. back in the P3 days if you say for example set a 143mhz bus as opposed to a 133mhz bus, your south bridge could run a little slow due to it having to wait to sync with the north bridge.

Or can you just set the FSB to whatever arbitrary clock frequency you want now with no penalty?
I'm fairly certain there are no such limitations any more.

When I overclock I just raise the FSB and eventually the voltage. That's all thats really necessary (except maybe disabling CPU throttling features).

Blacklash
12-02-07, 01:19 AM
If you don't RAID and don't need more than 4 SATA ports the IP35-E is good for 80usd. Now it seems many places that still have it in stock have the price around 115-129usd though. I got mine for 75usd with rebate from Mwave. I was planning on using it as a tide me over to X38, and wanted to try P35. I like it so much I have yet to ditch it for something more expensive. Maybe X48 will motivate me to do so.

The IP35 for 129usd is not bad either-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127029

Another good overclocker for the cash that does have RAID would be the DFI Blood Iron for 109usd-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136038&Tpk=DFI%2bblood%2biron

A lot of people speak very highly of the IP35 Pro that has already been linked. If you can go the 149 with rebate definitely try it. It is a high end board with a mid ranged price.

I'd get some cheap DDR2 800 memory if you want 3.6. Most rigs can be pushed to the limit best on a straight 1:1 ratio. 400 x 9 with a Q6600 would be just that, DDR2 800. Don't spend a lot of money on tight timing DDR2 800 stuff, just go for 5-5-5-15 if you need to save cash.

Actually here's DDR2 800 2 x 1Gb @ 4-4-4-12 for 49usd after rebate-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Another great 2Gb kit for 49usd if you don't want to fool with rebates-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Here's DRR2 800 2 x 2Gb for 109usd-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

If you don't mind rebates, here's some Mushkin DDR2 800 2 x 2Gb for 99usd-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146693

I am linking the 4Gb kits as an option for Vista. It helps a lot and does very well with the x64 version.

PSYCHODAD
12-02-07, 05:07 AM

+1 vote for the Gigabyte board. Best overall system I've owned.

Dragunov
12-02-07, 02:09 PM
Problem with DDR667 is that it may limit your overclocking as your ram maybe overclocked if your FSB is high. The better option is an nForce board where you can lock the memory to a set speed and increase the FSB to the limit.

Don't touch nforce :)

Rakeesh
12-02-07, 09:16 PM
I just picked up the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L from Fry's electronics today for $95. The abit was listed as cheaper but they didn't have any, and apparently it was discontinued.

Got it with some OCZ 4GB DDR2-800, which was a very good deal:

http://shop2.outpost.com/%7BMboZ6BP2-O0hfsEVlx4Qzg**.node3%7D/product/5439699;jsessionid=MboZ6BP2-O0hfsEVlx4Qzg**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also picked up a new 500 watt antec PSU for $49:

http://shop2.outpost.com/%7BMboZ6BP2-O0hfsEVlx4Qzg**.node3%7D/product/5086635;jsessionid=MboZ6BP2-O0hfsEVlx4Qzg**.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I hope that one will be quiet. I've never tried antec PSU's before.

Once my Q6700 arrives on tuesday I'll be in business. It is a retail kit so I am going to use the stock fan that comes with it. I have an 80mm side case fan with a cone that directs the airflow directly on to the CPU fan, so that should help with the cooling. We'll see what kind of an overclock I can get with it.

I am thinking I might sell the copy of vista that comes with the kit as I won't need it (I already have two full version copies of vista ultimate.)

CaptNKILL
12-02-07, 10:52 PM
Sounds good man. :)

Hopefully that PSU is up to the task though. An 8800GTS and an overclocked Quad core are going to need a lot of power.

Rakeesh
12-02-07, 11:00 PM
Sounds good man. :)

Hopefully that PSU is up to the task though. An 8800GTS and an overclocked Quad core are going to need a lot of power.

I think it should be. Right now I am running on a 400W PSU with my GTS overclocked, no problems at all. In the end, all I am adding is two more cores at a possibly higher voltage. I think people often way over estimate the power needs of their setup. IMO you only need higher than 500W if you intend on going SLI and have a ton of hard disks.

I actually didn't even plan on getting a new power supply until the one in my secondary computer died, so I am going to put my current one in that computer, and then put the new PSU in mine.

All I care about in the end is just having a quiet PSU, nothing else. Not terribly interested in modular cables (which waste power BTW) or LEDs, and I don't care about SLI either. This one promises to be quiet, but we shall see.

EDIT: In fact, looking on newegg, I see two reviews from people running an SLI 8800 setup on this PSU. There is no way I should have a problem with it. Most people say it is quiet as promised too.

Rakeesh
12-05-07, 08:12 AM
I just noticed that the southbridge on this board (ICH9) doesn't support AHCI. Not sure whether I should care about that. Is there any real world performance to be gained with AHCI? I am only using two SATA internal hard disks and they aren't identical at all.

Rakeesh
12-06-07, 04:52 PM
Bueller?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-06-07, 05:46 PM
meh, AHCI is (gay)

Rakeesh
12-09-07, 01:10 AM
I don't want to mess with watercooling, so what kind of HSF should I look for to overclock this?

I've seen some mention that they use the Zalman 9700. Is that overkill? Anybody personally know if it works with/fits the D3SL? How would the 9500 work?