PDA

View Full Version : Foxconn GeForce 8800 GTX and Crysis

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tangra
11-30-07, 05:15 PM
I just spend a whole lot of money buying a new pc so I can play Crysis but when I run the game it's really slow!!! Here is my new setup:

Intel Dual Core 3Ghz
Foxconn GeForce 8800 GTX 768Mb
4 Gigs DDR2 800mhz memory
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Samsung 22' wide screen
Latest Nvidia driver (163.75_forceware_winvista_32bit_english_whql)

When I click the "set for optimum system" button in options it automatically sets it to Very High settings but then when the game starts is extremely slow - like 5 frames per second!!! So the I lower the shader and few other settings to medium and it still doesn't play smooth, if not the same as my old GeForce 7800 card!!! I tried changing the resolutions or the driver's settings in the NVidia panel but did not help.

Is that right? Please anyone, help!

And just to say I haven't done any updates to Vista as I don't have internet connection on my desktop.

Thanks in advance.

ChaoticNick
11-30-07, 05:34 PM
Since you're on Vista, it's defaulting to DX10 mode, which is significantly slower than DX9 mode, even with the same settings. If you right click the icon in games explorer, you can start in DX9.

You're also going to want to get the 169.12 drivers if you have the chance: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.12.html

methimpikehoses
11-30-07, 05:37 PM
I just spend a whole lot of money buying a new pc so I can play Crysis but when I run the game it's really slow!!! Here is my new setup:

Intel Dual Core 3Ghz
Foxconn GeForce 8800 GTX 768Mb
4 Gigs DDR2 800mhz memory
Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Samsung 22' wide screen
Latest Nvidia driver (163.75_forceware_winvista_32bit_english_whql)

When I click the "set for optimum system" button in options it automatically sets it to Very High settings but then when the game starts is extremely slow - like 5 frames per second!!! So the I lower the shader and few other settings to medium and it still doesn't play smooth, if not the same as my old GeForce 7800 card!!! I tried changing the resolutions or the driver's settings in the NVidia panel but did not help.

Is that right? Please anyone, help!

And just to say I haven't done any updates to Vista as I don't have internet connection on my desktop.

Thanks in advance.

You won't be able to get playable framerates in DX10 and Very High. Go to the Crysis section of the gaming forum for details about creating .cfg files and optimizing performance.

Tangra
12-01-07, 03:48 AM
Why does Crysis sets all settings to Very High when I click the "Set for Optimum System" when I get a super slow gameplay, like 1 frame pers second?!?! And my machine scores 5.9 in overall performance in vista, 5.6 for gaming...I want to get 3DMark 06 to run a test but I think it's quite a huge file to download. Anyone knows smaller but still good game benchmark software?

Saintster
12-01-07, 04:04 AM
Doesn't matter what 3d mark 06 gives you Crysis will not run very high in DX10.There isn't hardware that will run the game with those settings so like the other reply says look in the Crysis section for tips on performance tweaks.

Tangra
12-01-07, 06:06 AM
Do you think it's more my processor (Intel Dual Core 3Ghz) that's slowing it down? You think I should try returning it and asking for another one? There was an Xeon 2Ghz Quad Core which was just a bit of xtra cash, will it change the gameplay? Or what process you think is best?

I try runing Crysis in DX9 mode with almost all settings on Low xept Shader and Texture in Medium/High and no A/A but it's still not smooth (around 15-20 f/s). Will post some more details later just in case...I'd really like to know if I should return my processor and geta new one, if that's going to improve everything a little...

daforce
12-01-07, 06:57 AM
It has nothing to do with your processor.

Madpistol
12-01-07, 08:44 AM
That's Vista for you... I don't know what to tell ya man. Your system looks great. :(

zeejay
12-01-07, 02:24 PM
I played through the game in XP with very high tweek for dx9. Looked amazing and I prob got an avg fps of like 24, just on the edge of playable for me but enough to complete it on medium difficulty.

My rig is pretty close to yours except I have 2gb, soon to be 4 though :)

Tangra
12-01-07, 05:18 PM
Ok, latest update and I'll be very thankful for your last toughs about my problem. Here's where Im standing:

I downloaded all Vista-related updates from the Microsoft site (did not saw any DirectX10 updates tho).

Still the ONLY way I can achieve around 20 fps is by changing everything to LOW! I mean all advanced settings in Crysis.

I run the game in DX9 mode in full screen resolution of 1680 x 1050 and no A/A.

I set my driver settings to:
Gamma correction OFF
Application-controled Antialiasing
Multisampling
Conformant texture clamp - use hardware
Single display mode
Texture filtering Anisotopic sample optimization OFF
Texture filtering - Qualaty - HIGH PERFORMANCE
Threaded optimization - ON
Tripe buffering - OFF

Now the fun part...Here's what framerate I get during the first few minutes of gameplay. Again - all in-game settings set to LOW.

Start scene in the plane: 8-9 fps
Free falling from the plane: 15-20 fps
In the water, swimming towards the beach: 16 fps
Walking between the rocks towards the guards on the beach: 18-20 fps

This doesn't look right to me.

Do you think I must try formating my PC with XP?

Tangra
12-01-07, 05:38 PM
One thing I did not say is that the computer shop gave me my PC with a faulty power supply so when I turned it on I think there was a power surge. I had to go back and get a new power supply then go home and after resetting the CMOS I was able to load Vista with no problems. I did check the BIOS and it all looked good.

Blacklash
12-01-07, 11:03 PM
For Crysis an overclocked GTX can handle it fine if you set Texture, Object and Water to Very high, and the rest to High. I played it @ 1680x fine that way. I tried it under Vista x64 on the DX 10 path. Many GTX cards can handle a core clock of 620-650.

For folks that haven't bought a card yet I'd suggest getting an 8800GT and overclocking that to around 650-700|2000 with a 1600-1800 shader clock. It is the best price vs performance card going right now. If you have an SLi board, get two :p

Tangra
12-02-07, 01:03 AM
But that's what I got - GTX 768Mb and it runs at 630. And as I said - I can only get a playble framerate of 20 fps if I set everything on LOW, DX9 mode (saw there's a 4-5 frame drop at DX10) at 1680 x 1050.

Don't you think I should be bale to get a better framerate even if I use Vista?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-02-07, 01:11 AM
that sounds bad, you should uninstall your graphics drivers and run driver cleaner pro in safe mode to make sure everything is clean. Then reinstall your drivers and see if that helps.

mythy
12-02-07, 01:19 AM

set it to high quality High performance has a adverse ercect for me at least :p

Tangra
12-02-07, 04:36 AM
Ok, I reinstalled the driver - same thing. I just formated my PC to XP, put all the latest drivers - same thing. I get 8-9 framerate at Medium. I deleted some reg. files as adviced in other forum - same thing. Nothing seems to help. Last thing I can think of is returning the card and getting a new one? Maybe it's that resistor that they talk about here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf8800-games_27.html

What do you think?

Feyy
12-02-07, 04:38 AM
Whats your PSU? Brand Name, Wattage, etc

Tangra
12-02-07, 05:01 AM
It's one of those four at the top:

http://www.huntkey.com/eng/producttype.asp?lx=big&anid=32&BName=PC%20Power%20Supply

Can't see a model number on it so I'm not sure, but the box says:

+3.3V, +5V, +12V1 and 12V2 max load 480W
output voltage: +3.3V, +5V, +12V1, +12V2, - 12V, +5VSB

Box looks a bit dodgy, has logos of NVIDIA SLI=Ready, Output 500W and Pentium D Inside.

RobCZMAN
12-02-07, 07:34 AM
Ok, latest update and I'll be very thankful for your last toughs about my problem. Here's where Im standing:

I downloaded all Vista-related updates from the Microsoft site (did not saw any DirectX10 updates tho).

Still the ONLY way I can achieve around 20 fps is by changing everything to LOW! I mean all advanced settings in Crysis.

I run the game in DX9 mode in full screen resolution of 1680 x 1050 and no A/A.

I set my driver settings to:
Gamma correction OFF
Application-controled Antialiasing
Multisampling
Conformant texture clamp - use hardware
Single display mode
Texture filtering Anisotopic sample optimization OFF
Threaded optimization - ON
Tripe buffering - OFF

Now the fun part...Here's what framerate I get during the first few minutes of gameplay. Again - all in-game settings set to LOW.

Start scene in the plane: 8-9 fps
Free falling from the plane: 15-20 fps
In the water, swimming towards the beach: 16 fps
Walking between the rocks towards the guards on the beach: 18-20 fps

This doesn't look right to me.

Do you think I must try formating my PC with XP?

Something is seriously screwed up with your build because I play Crysis under Vista 64 using the DX9 path with a few settings on Very high and shaders set to high, only setting at medium is shadows and post processing.

1680X1024 with No AA or AF and I am getting as high as 50fps in some places while for the most part I average around 40fps. Even under extreme situations with heavy firefights 32fps is the lowest I get.

Make sure to use the latest Nvidia beta drivers and make sure you get all hotfixes from here-
http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

BTW these same settings under windows XP give me the same performance that I get with the Vista 64 DX9 path. Dont waste your time with XP if you already have Vista.

RobCZMAN
12-02-07, 07:35 AM
Maybe it's that resistor that they talk about here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf8800-games_27.html

What do you think?

No way unless you bought a used one. That recall is about a year old now and was fixed a long time ago.

Tangra
12-02-07, 08:01 AM
No, the card was brain new - just like the whole pc...I just formated back to Vista (tried XP but same problems, I think worse), installed all latest drivers and hotfixes. Bus core speed is 621mhz and memory 999mhz, runs at 58C. I did the StressTest and got few errors, but not sure if those have anything to do, will post them anyway...

RAM: Error allocating RAM for Windows
Current allocating 100000 Additional - 209249670 (same line of error repeated around 20 times...)
Disk: Test file could not be created

I don't have any 3DMark software to to test, but when I run the performance check under Games in vista I get base score of 5.6, Gaming graphics 5.6, Processor 5.6, Memory 5.9

Will put Crysis back now and do another run...

RobCZMAN
12-02-07, 08:09 AM
I don't have any 3DMark software to to test, but when I run the performance check under Games in vista I get base score of 5.6, Gaming graphics 5.6, Processor 5.6, Memory 5.9

Dont worry about that crap, just focus on how well your games are running. Have you played anything else other than crysis?

RobCZMAN
12-02-07, 08:10 AM
RAM: Error allocating RAM for Windows
Current allocating 100000 Additional - 209249670 (same line of error repeated around 20 times...)
Disk: Test file could not be created

Im not sure wth is up with that but it doesnt sound good.

Tangra
12-02-07, 09:21 AM
Ok, just played Crysis and same story - 8 fps, all settings on Medium in DX9 mode. Last nite I tried World in Conflict - got like 10 fps in the benchmark with high settings, then I tried MTW2 and it also played SLOW with all settings on high (I used to play in super smootn with my GeForce 7800 on higest settings, only shadows on low).

I think I've had it - will take the pc tomorrow to the shop and ask the techical people there. They're not the most keen to help tho...

RobCZMAN
12-02-07, 09:39 AM
It's one of those four at the top:

http://www.huntkey.com/eng/producttype.asp?lx=big&anid=32&BName=PC%20Power%20Supply

Can't see a model number on it so I'm not sure, but the box says:

+3.3V, +5V, +12V1 and 12V2 max load 480W
output voltage: +3.3V, +5V, +12V1, +12V2, - 12V, +5VSB

Box looks a bit dodgy, has logos of NVIDIA SLI=Ready, Output 500W and Pentium D Inside.

Max load 480watts? I see you have dual +12v rails. Can you tell me how many amps are on each rail? unless you have a really high quality PSU I doubt you are feeding your system the power that it needs and I can almost guarentee you that you are severly underpowered.

Also if your dual rails are not off loading the power evenly then you could be stressing one of the 12v rails way to hard. This is why I like no fuss high powered single 12v rail psu's.