PDA

View Full Version : Leaving one fastener undone on the heatsink?

Zynx87
11-30-07, 06:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to fasten in my heatsink to my Q6600, and I've managed to get 3 of the 4 in tight. Anyone ever just left a fastener not quite down all the way?

From the looks of it the heatsink is still getting contact with the thermal grease, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys before I decide to turn it on.

Thoughts?

$n][pErMan
11-30-07, 07:59 PM
Id NEVER leave any fastener in my PC loose when it comes to fans or heatsinks. If I did all I would think about is the CPU heatsink falling off onto my video card and shorting the thing out. If its not fastening down, chances are its not on right to begin with. I'd take it off and reseat it untill its right :) Its best not to rush, but to do it right!

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-07, 08:06 PM
its not just about if the heatsink is getting good contact with thermal grease... go ahead and turn it on and you'll see that your temps suck.

The HSF has to apply even pressure on all sides of the cpu in order to have good contact with the cpu's heatspreader so that you don't get air bubbles and so that it can transfer heat efficiently.

Dragunov
12-01-07, 03:54 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to fasten in my heatsink to my Q6600, and I've managed to get 3 of the 4 in tight. Anyone ever just left a fastener not quite down all the way?

From the looks of it the heatsink is still getting contact with the thermal grease, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys before I decide to turn it on.

Thoughts?

It's better to place ur heatsink first before installing mainboard in ur case ...

I had problems too with placing the first heatsink, preferred the old system

ViN86
12-01-07, 04:08 PM
[pErMan']Id NEVER leave any fastener in my PC loose when it comes to fans or heatsinks. If I did all I would think about is the CPU heatsink falling off onto my video card and shorting the thing out. If its not fastening down, chances are its not on right to begin with. I'd take it off and reseat it untill its right :) Its best not to rush, but to do it right!
yea, i wouldnt leave any undone. make sure theyre all secured. :thumbsup:

shabby
12-01-07, 04:16 PM
If you cant get the 4th one on, i would just do two opposite ones. With 3 connected you have one side pulling the opposite side from contacting the core.

Dazz
12-01-07, 04:29 PM
do not tighten them all have them fairly lose then tighten them 1 1/3r each from opersite side first.

mythy
12-01-07, 04:52 PM
OMG I remember my first experience with those push clips. My first thought was *wtf is this plastic ****?!?!?! Followed by OMFG this is so retarded... After 15 mins of pushing and a cut finger I got out a nail punch and a hammer. And yes it worked and no I didn't break anything :p

Dragunov
12-02-07, 02:07 PM
Well the latest way to attach ur heatsink is very poorly done ...

Couldn't they find a better way to attach a heatsink?

The previous one (P4) was much better :)

Zynx87
12-02-07, 02:43 PM
Agreed. I remember P4 being much easier. That is to say, I was 14 at the time and could do it on my own.

After 2 days of struggle, the heatsink won in the end. Doesn't matter, my range is about 46-54 going from idle to playing games. Funny thing is, my cores have varying temps much like what LORD and shabby said, ranging from 37 to 46 according to Rivatuner, probably from the messed up contact.

Dragunov
12-02-07, 02:46 PM
Mine was first those way aswell, never noticed, but everytime my pc shutdown, cause of one pin, so I took out the mainboard again and reattached it, then it was fine, but bought those Zalman abit later, so removed the mainboard again

Those Zalman is also very annoying to attach

LORD-eX-Bu
12-02-07, 02:48 PM
46-53 idle o.O

is it overclocked at all? mines doesn't hit 40*C idle :lol:

CaptNKILL
12-02-07, 03:41 PM
Mine is idling at 22C with a 1Ghz overclock in a room thats well over 22C. :lol:

LORD-eX-Bu
12-02-07, 03:46 PM
I think its almost 30*C in this room right now :lol:

CaptNKILL
12-02-07, 03:48 PM
Oh wow... I guess I was wrong. 22C is only 71F. It isn't that warm in here.

Its like freaking 20F outside. :p

LORD-eX-Bu
12-02-07, 03:49 PM
man you suck, miami and its humidity :rofl

K007
12-03-07, 03:39 AM
never tight one by one..have to do just slowly screw them in, once all 4 are in good, and in solid...then you give it a bit of tight..but dont overkill either. You should feel it on your hand when its good to go..its very easy to get taken away by it and screw it hard..and...*crack*

LORD-eX-Bu
12-03-07, 10:19 AM
umm.. whats going to crack? the heatspreader? the mobo? unless he is installing it on an old athlon with an exposed core I don't think he can break anything :lol:

Tym
12-03-07, 11:35 AM
Hey guys,

Thoughts?

I've had the same issue with my Thermalright SI-128... With the previous board, I could only get three fasteners to engage at any time. So I left it as it was, just made sure the upper two (which support most of the weight anyway) were both secure. I finally managed to get all four to click into place on my new mobo, but only because I fitted the HS before installing the board in the case. It was a stuggle anyway :( If you try again, make sure you leave the most accessible one to press in last, you'll need to apply quite some force ;-)

BTW why do some manufacturers make the brackets so damn rigid? The stock Intel cooler has a flexible retaining bracket and still holds on as securely as any other...

varrius
12-03-07, 11:56 AM
Hey guys,

Thoughts?

Just use some duct tape. A little super glue. Just make sure you blow compressed air at the processor every few minutes.

Blasphemer
12-06-07, 03:07 PM
I could do with reseating my heatsink (the piece of crap that it is) my temps are uneven and i will do it one day, when i can be bothered. :S

Its a big job, and not that necessary at the moment, i need to do it before next summer though.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-06-07, 03:09 PM
guys switch to water cooling, its much less of a hassle and the cpu waterblock is so much easier to install than a crappy HSF. You can even bow the base and get better contact on certain heatspreaders :D