PDA

View Full Version : 8800gt slow as molasses

shabby
11-30-07, 09:51 PM
Just picked up a bfg 8800gt, ran 3dmark06 and it nets me 1500 points in sm2 and 1800 in hdr/sm3, i should be getting at least 3x these results. NFS prostreet runs like a slide show, cod4 runs at 15fps... wtf is going on, my x1900xtx was running faster then this. I installed the whql drivers, then switched to 169.09 drivers and no go, same problem.

Specs are in sig, psu is a 485w enermax. Other then a format im not sure what else to do now.

XP_GUN
11-30-07, 10:00 PM
Sounds like your ATI drivers left something behind, check that and make sure you reinstall your nvidia drivers.

3DBrad
11-30-07, 10:04 PM
Check your PCIx16 linkwidth via CPUz, these have an issues resetting it to 1x sometimes when you overclock your CPU.

Other then that, I would do a reformat, something I do all the time now when upgrading. :)

stncttr908
11-30-07, 10:07 PM
Use Driver Cleaner to remove all traces of the ATI drivers. Uninstall your NVIDIA drivers and use DC to clean up those as well. Then install fresh.

shabby
11-30-07, 10:08 PM
Check your PCIx16 linkwidth via CPUz, these have an issues resetting it to 1x sometimes when you overclock your CPU.

Damn you are dead on, its set at 1x. Maybe i should update the bios...

shabby
11-30-07, 10:33 PM
So much for that, my comp wont even post now after the bios update.... whoopdeedoo!@#$

3DBrad
11-30-07, 10:39 PM
Well, you could have fixed it with fiddling with some voltages in the BIOS, I think I set the Northbridge to 1.4 or (I think the default is 1.2 or so) and it fixed it.

Are you going to be able to recover the motherboard/BIOS, etc? :) Have you tried resetting the CMOS/motherboard battery? :)

shabby
11-30-07, 11:30 PM
Alright i'd like to get the last hour of my life back...

I upped the nb voltage upto 1.45 and its still stuck at 1x. Funny i never had this problem with the x1900xtx.

shabby
12-01-07, 12:43 AM
Geez what a nightmare with this mobo, i tried upping the nb voltage, sb voltage, fsb termination voltage, pcie freq you name it. But all i needed to do what pull the card out, turn the pc on and off and put the card back in.
Now its workin fine, 11.7k in 3dmark06 and now im going to sleep...

Tangra
12-01-07, 10:16 AM
Hi, Im also having slow issues with a brain new GeForce 8800GTX - the whole pc was new and all I did is put Vista Ultimate then add the latest drivers, but all games are really slow. Trying to find what's the problem. Im playing at 22 wide screen resolution, but changing to something less dosen't really help...Can it be Vista??? I can only get smooth play in Crysis at all settings on LOW!!! Even on Medium it's like a slideshow, as you said.

Got a Core2 Duo 3Ghz and 4 gigs of ddr2 800 ram.

I wonder in our problems are linked...

NoWayDude
12-01-07, 10:29 AM
Hi, Im also having slow issues with a brain new GeForce 8800GTX - the whole pc was new and all I did is put Vista Ultimate then add the latest drivers, but all games are really slow. Trying to find what's the problem. Im playing at 22 wide screen resolution, but changing to something less dosen't really help...Can it be Vista??? I can only get smooth play in Crysis at all settings on LOW!!! Even on Medium it's like a slideshow, as you said.

Got a Core2 Duo 3Ghz and 4 gigs of ddr2 800 ram.

I wonder in our problems are linked...

Tangra, could you please give a more detailed description of your set up?

What motherboard? Nvidia drivers? Ram? Processor? 8800 GTX brand and speeds of the core/memory/shaders

It will help us help you

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw your post on the other thread

Xion X2
12-01-07, 11:03 AM
The P5B Deluxe has an issue w/ the PCI-E frequency dropping to 1x during certain FSB ranges. It's a known bug. Try raising or lowering the FSB until it will enable at 16x if you have this board and this issue.

Tangra
12-01-07, 11:50 AM
Ok, details are in my sig...Just found this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

3DBrad
12-01-07, 12:45 PM
Just so you know, the temporary fix I had before fixing it via BIOS was to turn off the PC, unlplug or switch off the PSU (therefore cutting power to the mobo), and turning it on about one minute later. :)

DarkOneX
12-02-07, 12:23 AM
Tangra said he had a "brain new" GTX lolz!