PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 games of all time:

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Zelda_fan
11-30-07, 10:43 PM
The question is just like it sounds. What are your top 5 games of all time. As far as criteria for judging, make it a combination of everything collectivly: ie the graphics, the fun, the atmosphere, the depth, the impact the game made, etc. Everything considered, what are your top five games ever.

Please give a short description why. I'm not looking to make this a "well my top 5 is better than your top 5" but to share with each other what great games are out there. Maybe there are some that we've overlooked.

1) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - yeah, everyone probably could've guessed this one, and while it may not be everyone's favorite, I would bet good money just about everyone will say it's a good game. Such an overwhelming approval rate is a testament to just how good this game is.

As far as I'm concerned, this game has stood the test of time. Once every so often, a new game will come along, and I think for a moment I may have found something better. But after the dust settles, Ocarina of Time still remains my favorite. Maybe it's the near perfect gameplay, the epic scope and depth the game possesses, the sheer genius found in some of the puzzels, or maybe it's the fact that it was such a revolution for it's time. Whatever the reasons may be, all things combined, Zelda: Ocarina of Time is still my all time favorite.

2) Mario Galaxy. This was an unexpected hit for me. TBH I wasn't even planning on buying it. Don't get me wrong, I knew it was probably a great game, but I had no idea it was this good. Everything is just so original. Even among the Mario games, there really isn't anything like it. While it lacks the depth and story found in adventure and RPG games, it is probably the most "fun" I've ever had playing a game. Ever. And that is why it falls to #2 on my list.

3) Baldur's Gate II. This is one of the few games I can play over, and over, and over again (literally back to back sometimes) and not get tired of it. And that's quite a feat for a 100+ hour game. I can count on one hand how many games have the sheer content that this one does (and that's not an exaggeration in the slightest). This game is the very definition of epic. Epic battles, epic enemies, truly epic weapons and armor, epic characters, epic storyline, epic cites, epic side quests, etc etc. But what really sets this game apart is that it manages to make you care about your traveling companions and the quest that you're on. I literally feel like I go on a journey every time I play this game. And that is why it's #3.

I really wish their was another game that was like this. Some *almost* make it. NWN was alright. Oblivion was good, but the characters and world were way too bland. I have high hopes for dragon age, but I doubt it will take the place of this classic.

4) Zelda: Twilight Princess. I really didn't want to put another Zelda game in my top 5, but I honestly couldn't leave this one out when it bests Ocarina of Time in every conceivable way. The controls are better, the graphics are better, the story is better, the dungeons are better, the boss fights are better, ect ect. On the other hand though, there was a level of innovation present in Ocarina of Time that made the game *surreal* that surpassed anything Twilight Princess brought to the table, and that is why it's #4 and not #1. But still, the game is a masterpiece, and will be remembered for a long, long time.

5) TIE Fighter. This game is old school, but it is still the best flight simulation game I've ever played. Who wouldn't want to re-enact classic space battles from the Star Wars franchise? But this game took it a step further and developed it's own story that was fun and unique. I remember when Admiral Thrawn first granted you access to the new experimental TIE Defender's, and sent you on a mission to rescue the Emperor. Good Times.

It's ashame. It seems like they don't make games like these any more.

a_big_burger
11-30-07, 10:50 PM
1. Doom II
2. Warcraft II
3. Command and Conquer
4. Diablo
5. StarCraft

Tuork
11-30-07, 10:56 PM
1. Max Payne 2. Hands down. I had so much fun with this game. I can't really pin point what was so fun about it, but I've literally played through it no less than 5 times. Oh, and the CinemaMod was kickass.

2. Splinter Cell Series. Gameplay was awesome. Nothing like lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to sneak up that utterly unsuspecting guard.

3. GTA III. Honestly, who can say that they didn't beat a hooker to death with a baseball bat? The first big 3D open city game I came to know and love. I remember it was just fun driving around the whole city. I spent countless hours playing taxi. So much fun.

4. Perfect Dark. Oldie, but a goodie. Love it to death. Still play it every so often. Interesting story, cool weapons. I'd go as far as calling it a turning point in the industry.

5. Err... LEGO? :p

Amuro
11-30-07, 10:58 PM
*not in any particular order

X-wing Alliance
Tie Fighter
Wing Commander 2
Falcon 4.0
Battlefield 1942 w/ Desert Combat mod

For once Zelda_fan and I agree on something lol, Tie Fighter... I still play XWA with the Tie Fighter total conversion mod, basically XWA graphics + fan made craftpacks with original Tie fighter missions.

NarcissistZero
11-30-07, 11:04 PM
1. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
2. Final Fantasy VI (III on SNES)
3. Grand Theft Auto III
4. Day of the Tentacle
5. King's Quest VI

Wow, FPS is my favorite genre and I didn't list one. That was off the top of my head though, ask me tomorrow and it could be completely different.

Zelda_fan
11-30-07, 11:05 PM
2. Splinter Cell Series. Gameplay was awesome. Nothing like lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to sneak up that utterly unsuspecting guard.

Have you ever played Thief: The Dark Project? Not Deadly Shadows or The Metal Age, but the original one. I think you'd like it a lot. It's like Splinter Cell, but it's a lot darker and plot driven, and there is more of a focus on stealth.

Man they just don't make games like that anymore. Back in the old days they didn't have graphics to count on, they had to make up for it in atmosphere and gameplay.

Crow_Nest
11-30-07, 11:08 PM
1. Any of the good old star wars games of the late 90s

2. Halo trilogy

3. Half Life 2

4. Counter-Strike

5. Not sure... But i would have to say either serious sam or may payne

:)

nutcrackr
11-30-07, 11:13 PM
order is hard but

deus ex
half life
half life 2
diablo
crysis :o

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-07, 11:23 PM
1. Duke Nukem 3D - I remember back in the day it was just labeled as another "doom clone". This game was freaking awesome, you could aim up and down, destroy objects(sometimes walls a buildings), you could jump, fly and slip strippers a couple of bills :rofl I liked how this game was badass, serious when it had to be, but overall very comical. This game, in my opinion, really got the FPS genre going.

2. Ultima Underworld II: Labrynth of Worlds - I can't say enough about this game, it just has its own aura of awesomeness. It came out in 1993 and it was years ahead of its time. The story was awesome, deep and kept you guessing what was going to happen next. The graphics were very good for its time and the game was, and still is one of the most interactive games I have played. You couldn't just go out and learn spells, you had to collect runes and learn how to use them in combinations in order to produce different spells. Very few RPGs have been able to match the quality that this game set as a benchmark since it came out :D

3. Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall - another awesome RPG. The sheer size of the game world is immense, it really gave you the feeling that you could go anywhere and do anything you wanted. There were laws that you had to follow and I liked that if you were wanted in a certain region you could escape to a neighboring land and you had a clean slate. You could do whatever you wanted and you had to take into account time spent traveling and how much it would cost you. The story for this was awesome as well and fit in great to how open ended the game was, it literally took hundreds of hours to go through everything that this game had to offer.

4. Quake - Very good graphics for its time. I played it for years and years. I remember when it first came out it would run at like 10 fps on my 486 :lol: When I upgraded to my pentium, then pentium pro and finally AMD K6 I was in heaven. Multiplayer was awesome and all the mods that came out for it just made the whole experience better. Anyone remember Heat.net? oh man that was the golden age of multiplayer.

5. Street Fighter III: Third Strike - arguably the best fighting game ever made. The parry system added a whole new dimension to this genre. The game has smooth awesome 2D graphics(the way its meant to be played :rofl ) and many of the cool fighters that we grew up with. I just hope that Capcom doesn't screw up Street Fighter IV by making it 3D. We don't need another DOA :lol:

crainger
11-30-07, 11:36 PM
OMF: 2097. One of the best 2D figthers ever made. Ability to choose a pilot and a bot added a little extra strategy. Awesome career mode too.

Street Fighter II. Another 2D fighter, but the first game to really get me into consoles.

Deus Ex. Probably one of the best games ever made. Few RPGs have come close.

Sam and Max. My introduction to Lucas Arts adventure games and IBM Compat altogether really. Great story and a wacky ride right across the US.

The Witcher. I have to put this in. It's a brilliant mature story and went against the current Graphics above all else trend. I feel it's a great throw back to the old days where devs were free to express themselves.

****ing Wolf Quest. Nuff said mother****ers.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-30-07, 11:39 PM
Wolf Quest :rofl

WeReWoLf
11-30-07, 11:40 PM
#1: Goldeneye - Will always be my most favourite game ever. There's nothing that really has to be said, because people just know.

#2: UT99 - Grabbed my attention with the ever popular Flak Cannon and it's inherent ability to "Gib" people.

#3: GTAIII - That game was godly, mainly because it was so f'n big...

#4: Stalker - I've never played a game from start to finish so many times, because it's just so awesomely cool. Seriously, i'll never get sick of that game.

#5: It's a tie between Super Mario 3 and Yoshi's Island. Super Mario 3 was just cool, and Yoshi's Island was so addictive, i remember having nightmares about not finishing it. I was in Hospital at the time, but i suppose that's not the point.

sharvin
11-30-07, 11:41 PM
Wolf Quest :rofl

BEST GAME EVRS!!!!!!11 i can't get past the mother ****ing cow lvl.

crainger
11-30-07, 11:44 PM
BEST GAME EVRS!!!!!!11 i can't get past the mother ****ing cow lvl.

You have to use the dwarf's rod in the golem.

vert305
11-30-07, 11:44 PM
ORDER IS TO HARD TO PICK

:) Mortal Kombat 2 (Arcade) Fatality

:) Killer Instinct 1 (Arcade) Killlller Combo

:) Grand Theft Auto III (Created freedom in gameplay for me)

:) Unreal T 2004 (Online Gameplay) Dominating!

:) 007 GoldenEye (Nintendo 64) It started the FPS Multi Player for me. *Changed my life forever!

DiscipleDOC
11-30-07, 11:45 PM
Quake 3 Arena
Street Fighter II
Madden '98 (PS3)
UT 2004
Stalker

sharvin
11-30-07, 11:47 PM
You have to use the dwarf's rod in the golem.

I can't find the dwarf's rod I've looked anywhere...

AngelGraves13
11-30-07, 11:48 PM
1. BioShock
2. Duke Nukem 3D
3. DOOM II
4. Half-Life
5. Heretic

I'm old school lol

sharvin
11-30-07, 11:50 PM
pong

nekrosoft13