PDA

View Full Version : 3Dfx Product That Never Was

Pages : [1] 2 3

technoid
12-01-07, 11:21 AM
When 3Dfx announced the Voodoo3 chipset they announced three products, the Voodoo3 2000, the Voodoo3 3000, and the Voodoo3 3500. But because of the popularity of the ATI All-In-Wonder their newly acquired board maker, STB, talked them into creating the Voodoo3 3500TV, so the original product never shipped. I got one of them when I worked there and still have it. I almost put it on eBay a few years ago but decided not to. I ran accross the pics I took of it and thought everyone might get a kick out of seeing them.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8513/v335001topsu7.th.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=v335001topsu7.jpg)

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/1244/v335002botjz4.th.jpg (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=v335002botjz4.jpg)

a12ctic
12-01-07, 11:31 AM
3dfx really was a pretty cool company, its a shame they fell apart.

CaptNKILL
12-01-07, 11:35 AM
Holy crap, that's freaking sweet. :D

I've been collecting older graphics cards lately, mostly 3DFX.

I have a working Voodoo 2 SLI setup right now (1 Creative 12Mb card and 1 STB 8Mb, got 1 of the cards from evilghost), sammy sung sent me an original Canopus Voodoo Graphics 6Mb card (with the vga-in adapter), I still have the box for my Voodoo 3 2000 PCI, and I have a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP (also got from evilghost) running in a secondary PC.

I also managed to get my hands on a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 KYRO II (thanks slyboots).

My favorite card though, would have to be the Sierra\Canopus Scream'n 3D Rendition Verite 1000 4Mb. My brother bought it in 1996 and I still have the box and all of the software and documentation. Its acting as the 2D card in the Voodoo 2 system (though it'll also play VeriteGL games like SODA Off-Road and Silent Thunder).

I love old graphics cards. :p

LORD-eX-Bu
12-01-07, 11:36 AM
Technoid you worked at 3Dfx? how come you aren't working at nvidia now? :D

Q
12-01-07, 11:44 AM
They didn't release the Voodoo 3500 at all? I could have sworn that I remember almost buying one instead of my V3000 back then, but it was severely over priced.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-01-07, 11:47 AM
that voodoo 5 5500 AGP has got to be sweet! do you play alot of n64 roms in glide? :D

CaptNKILL
12-01-07, 12:33 PM
that voodoo 5 5500 AGP has got to be sweet! do you play alot of n64 roms in glide? :D
I really haven't had a chance to play much on it actually.

I'm thinking of swapping all the parts into a new case before I start using it.

technoid
12-01-07, 12:38 PM
Technoid you worked at 3Dfx? how come you aren't working at nvidia now? :D
I have several friends that work at nvidia but I left 3dfx in november before they went out of business the next february.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-01-07, 12:42 PM
awww thats too bad, what do you do nowadays?

technoid
12-01-07, 01:01 PM
Holy crap, that's freaking sweet. :D

I've been collecting older graphics cards lately, mostly 3DFX.

I have a working Voodoo 2 SLI setup right now (1 Creative 12Mb card and 1 STB 8Mb, got 1 of the cards from evilghost), sammy sung sent me an original Canopus Voodoo Graphics 6Mb card (with the vga-in adapter), I still have the box for my Voodoo 3 2000 PCI, and I have a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP (also got from evilghost) running in a secondary PC.

I also managed to get my hands on a Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 KYRO II (thanks slyboots).

My favorite card though, would have to be the Sierra\Canopus Scream'n 3D Rendition Verite 1000 4Mb. My brother bought it in 1996 and I still have the box and all of the software and documentation. Its acting as the 2D card in the Voodoo 2 system (though it'll also play VeriteGL games like SODA Off-Road and Silent Thunder).

I love old graphics cards. :p
I have a bunch of old 3dfx boards. I have several Diamond Voodoo1 boards. I still have both of my Voodoo2 Creative Labs 12MB boards and one of the original boxes. I have several Vodoo3 3000s, one of them is a 183mhz prototype. I also still have the Voodoo3 3000 and Voodoo5 5500 they gave me when I was writing the Voodoo Overclocker. That Canopus card is sweet :)

I also have an old Rendition board. One of the guys on the 3dfx forum (joe) sent it to me for my wife to play the original tombraider on. It was a prototype he had, he was one of the designers.

I think I still have a couple of Voodoo2s that a friend gave me that 3dfx gave him when he interviewed with them. If you need another 12mb board let me know and I can send you one, that is if I still have them. Gotta keep my Creative Labs boards :)

technoid
12-01-07, 01:02 PM
awww thats too bad, what do you do nowadays?
I work at Texas Instruments in the OMAP Processor group.

technoid
12-01-07, 01:06 PM
They didn't release the Voodoo 3500 at all? I could have sworn that I remember almost buying one instead of my V3000 back then, but it was severely over priced.
They sold a Voodoo3 3500TV, but as far as I know the one without the TV was never sold. And yes it was expensive :)

Q
12-01-07, 01:20 PM
They sold a Voodoo3 3500TV, but as far as I know the one without the TV was never sold. And yes it was expensive :)

Ah, gotcha.

$n][pErMan
12-01-07, 01:28 PM
I still have my Matrox 3D Prophet 4mb card and the daughter card that went with it that added another GPU and 4mb more of memory! :D I was way to young at the time to buy it, but my dad said it cost a **** ton of money at the time :) As well, I also have my old Voodoo2 PCI and Voodoo3 AGP :) Was a great company.... Played Half-Life on a Voodoo3

Mr Bigman
12-01-07, 03:39 PM
Not entirely true. The Voodoo 3500TV was installed as an OEM in some Compaqs. I know cuz i pulled one from a bad PC. The NTSC Tuner sucked. Not good overlay.

It had a 183MHZ clock so a bit faster than the 3000 but nothing big.

If you work for TI, why isn't your sig top notch? You should have a killer rich mans rig here.

Dragunov
12-01-07, 03:55 PM
Yes, I still have my Voodoo 2 with 8MB of ram :)

With the API Glide

Starscream
12-01-07, 04:55 PM
Not entirely true. The Voodoo 3500TV was installed as an OEM in some Compaqs. I know cuz i pulled one from a bad PC. The NTSC Tuner sucked. Not good overlay.

It had a 183MHZ clock so a bit faster than the 3000 but nothing big.

If you work for TI, why isn't your sig top notch? You should have a killer rich mans rig here.

What he was saying Bigman is that the original 3500 without a tuner was never sold. The 3500TV was all over the place.

fivefeet8
12-01-07, 05:08 PM

I use to with my Voodoo5 5500 PCI. But nowadays, even in emulation, glide is becoming obsoleted in many ways. I still have the card sitting in the shelf. I may put it into a small emulation box someday.

sammy sung
12-01-07, 06:14 PM
Gonna try to get my Canopus v2 sli cards back from a m8 who bought them,he said i could have them if he can find them.Talking to cap about his cards made me wanna build a glide rig again :)

$n][pErMan
12-01-07, 06:29 PM
Curious... cause I rarely mess with my old hardware aside from just playing around with some things... but whats this fasination with Glide? Sure it was king back in the day, but what does it do now that can;t be done any other way?

fivefeet8
12-01-07, 06:38 PM
[pErMan']Curious... cause I rarely mess with my old hardware aside from just playing around with some things... but whats this fasination with Glide? Sure it was king back in the day, but what does it do now that can;t be done any other way?

Not much these days. There are a few rare cases like it does seem to have fairly good framebuffer access and supports old texture formats. Also, the voodoo 5's FSAA edge quality is still fairly good even today albeit the card doesn't have the performance to really use it much except in applications like PSx/N64 emulation. And of course it's FSAA tends to blur the whole scene.

Glide is also emulated fairly nicely as well these days.

stevemedes
12-01-07, 06:53 PM
i had a voodoo 3 2000 and a voodoo 5 5500. i still have the 3dfx mousepad that came with one of those cards. dont remember which.

sammy sung
12-01-07, 06:59 PM
[pErMan']Curious... cause I rarely mess with my old hardware aside from just playing around with some things... but whats this fasination with Glide? Sure it was king back in the day, but what does it do now that can;t be done any other way?

Some games were accelerated in glide only and when both that and direct 3d (dx5) was available glide looked better for the most part,ran smoother.And playing open gl quake and quake 2,ubisofts f1 championship that had lensflares ! :eek: and some other french racing game with visual effects not seen before (not by me anyway) .My first online game GP500 was played on the same card i sent cap and and the first Unreal,man that game looked amazing when first playing it.Unreal tournament wich i played when i upgraded to that SLI system,ran it with a celeron 300A clocked to 450mhz :)

It made a huge impression on me and games like the wing commander series are still fond memories.I'd like to revisit that but im fed up with emulators and so on,just a hassle of making them work,setting everything up.Much easier just installing win 95-98 on a pentium 2 system.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-01-07, 07:08 PM
I've been messing around with PCSX2 lately, too bad it doesn't use glide :rofl

it emulates Street Fighter III: Third Strike perfectly :D

Mr Bigman
12-01-07, 07:10 PM
I played Quake in glide. not GLquake. Don't get them mixed up.

I had 2 versions of the 3 series. there was a rare voodoo 3500. Same clocks but had no Svideo out.

I remember Janes longbow and even mechwarrior for my voodoo 2 8mb.

i even had the 12 mb one which didn't much back in the winter of 98.