PDA

View Full Version : X-FI problem

PTK1982
12-02-07, 01:47 AM
Ok story goes like this

I got so ****ed up with vista so i decided to install old and reliable windows xp.
All goes well to the point where i install x-fi windows xp driver (newest downloaded from creative) in midle of installation of driver my computer just shutdowns. I cannot get the computer to start windows until i go save mode and uninstall x-fi drivers. And it does this every time (i tried to force its own IRQ in bios but as we all know windows do everything its own way). Only thing that helps is to install vista drivers (they work in windows usage watching MP11 listening music in foobar2k) but in games (nwn2: mask of betrayer) it works short time then throws BSOD and restarts computer. When i have Vista installed x-fi works like a charm no hiccups. Now i have M-Audio Revolution 5.1 installed in windows xp and it works like charm (added to that it has almost 4 years old drivers and they work).

Any helpful insight?

i SPY
12-02-07, 02:16 AM
install the drivers from windows update (dated 18.6.2007 version 5.12.8.1201), i did it too with no problems.
well i also didn't have them with the one on creative site but they're too old (dated october 2006).

O and, i see you have SLi, i don't know if there is a conflict in vista but i've seen allot of peps having issues => SLi + x-fi...

andy_nv
12-02-07, 02:44 PM
Uninstall all Creative software related to the card, use Driver Sweeper to do a cleanup for the drivers after. Install the latest driver manually from Device Manager (I hate Creative's driver installer), install you audio console and other components from CD.

Starscream
12-02-07, 03:45 PM
Have you tried putting the card into a different pci slot?

PTK1982
12-03-07, 12:37 AM
Have you tried putting the card into a different pci slot?

in my case that is impossible because my two 8800GTS eat all room icluding two pci-e x1 and two pci bus leaving only bottom on free pci slot 3.
I have all so uninstalled drivers using creative driver installer program in driver folder (not the main installer).

PTK1982
12-03-07, 12:49 AM
Uninstall all Creative software related to the card, use Driver Sweeper to do a cleanup for the drivers after. Install the latest driver manually from Device Manager (I hate Creative's driver installer), install you audio console and other components from CD.

I have installed creative drivers to fresh windows xp (only sp2 and nforce drivers were installed).But now i use m-audio revolution it works and it enough to me.
Maybe if creative releases new drivers somewhere in distant future i try to install x-fi again. (but knowing creaative its same old driver with new version number):thumbdwn: