PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thomson interviewed by gametrailers.com

Gaco
12-02-07, 10:33 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28493.html?pl=game - Intro (Segment starts at at 3:25)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28492.html - Part 1

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28491.html - Part 2

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28490.html - Part 3

My opinion:
Thomson seems like a nice guy who want to to the right thing, it's just too bad that he's so blinded by his determination to "protect our children" that he denies all facts and studies that doesn't fit his crusade. He may have a point about how very small children should not easily have access to play the most violent of the violent videogames, but he just goes completely overboard. Thankfully not a lot of people seem to take him serious and all his legal action seem to be unconstitutional and scientifically inadequately unfounded.

Here's the trailer for Moral Combat, I'm sure many of you saw it a while back as well, but here the link again: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28507.html
^ That "documentary" simply looks deluding. What strikes me is this conservative-christian bull**** about how violence started with Cain slaying Abel, it just turns me totally off when the whole thing starts with quoting a book of myths and unprovable claims of extraordinary events. Not that I have anything against religion/christianity, but you can't mix it up with a serious modern documentary like that and still appear trustworty. Then it goes on and on about how terrorists can use flight simulators to train themselfs for 9/11, how little kids becomes murderes by playing FPS's etc. Say there was a real issue here we could discuss, and there probably is, these guys totally blew it by all these simplified and outragous claims IMO :thumbdwn:

bacon12
12-02-07, 11:12 AM
He's a moron and I would bet there is some real issue with his mental health. :lame:

There are game ratings for a reason, I am an adult and I will watch/play what ever I want. I think I will go mutilate someone online right now in fact.

Madpistol
12-02-07, 11:21 AM
The game rating system is in place for a reason. There isn't really a good way to protect children from violent games other than to just police what they play. If the children are allowed to purchase T-M games, that's the parents fault. The retailers are just trying to make a profit. If the parents let their children buy those games, the parents are to blame. I'm glad that most retail stores police the sale of Mature rated games, but I don't think it's necessary.

OldOfEvil
12-02-07, 11:39 AM
The game rating system is in place for a reason. There isn't really a good way to protect children from violent games other than to just police what they play. If the children are allowed to purchase T-M games, that's the parents fault. The retailers are just trying to make a profit. If the parents let their children buy those games, the parents are to blame. I'm glad that most retail stores police the sale of Mature rated games, but I don't think it's necessary.

Bolded FTMFT

The ESRB has done a good job of telling parents/guardians of whats in these games. We don't need the government or people like Jack Thompson with their own agendas to police us. Its has been, and always will be the parents who are responsible for what their children play.

evox
12-02-07, 12:21 PM
not sure why everyone goes gung-ho over violence in video games. movies/show anyday contain more mature content. no one is going to become a rapist/serial killer by playing GTA :\

delas52
12-02-07, 12:35 PM
I found him reasonable until in #2 where he cited one study that supported his perspective while completely ignoring and dismissing all other studies that would prove him wrong. The guy is retarded, plain and simple.

conroejoe
12-02-07, 01:56 PM
He's a moron and I would bet there is some real issue with his mental health. :lame:

There are game ratings for a reason, I am an adult and I will watch/play what ever I want. I think I will go mutilate someone online right now in fact.

Agreed - he's a nut job that will lose it and go on a shooting spree of gamers, claiming it was the lack of being able to pretend that forced him into it.

3DBrad
12-02-07, 02:58 PM
He is not a moron, and if the industry doesn't better patrol itself, be sure the overreaching Congress will do so.

six_storm
12-02-07, 03:14 PM
Bolded FTMFT

The ESRB has done a good job of telling parents/guardians of whats in these games. We don't need the government or people like Jack Thompson with their own agendas to police us. Its has been, and always will be the parents who are responsible for what their children play.

+1,000,000

The reason why kids are in trouble all the time and do stupid stuff is because the parents don't discipline them and watch what they watch, say or do. Kids are like a sponge. If they watch people getting killed say in a movie and the parents aren't there to tell them that it's bad or it's not real, then those kids will believe it and apply it to real life. Plain and simple. Half the people around here don't even need to think about having kids simply because they can't handle raising a kid properly. When the kid does wrong, whip that arse and show them right from wrong!!!

bacon12
12-02-07, 03:46 PM
He is not a moron, and if the industry doesn't better patrol itself, be sure the overreaching Congress will do so.

Anyone who would continue pushing something and risk loosing their job to the point of being disbarred is a MORON!

If he has such high moral fiber he choose the wrong career path, and should have been a social worker not a freakin lawyer. :nutkick:

Are you old enough to remember Tipper Gore and the explicit content label the she lobbied to have put on album covers? It made the nasty versions sell like hotcakes.

3DBrad
12-02-07, 03:50 PM
There is nothing inherently immoral about being a lawyer, a many journalist and investors start out as lawyers.

And he is now a huge figure in the industry, so I don't think it was a moronic thing to do. He's just speaking what he believes, something lacking in today's sissy, get-in-touch-with-your-sissiness-and-watch-"The View" society. ;)

Gaco
12-02-07, 04:08 PM
There is nothing inherently immoral about being a lawyer, a many journalist and investors start out as lawyers.

And he is now a huge figure in the industry, so I don't think it was a moronic thing to do. He's just speaking what he believes, something lacking in today's sissy, get-in-touch-with-your-sissiness-and-watch-"The View" society. ;)
Huge figure? He is hugely imfamous if that's what you mean. So just because you speak what you believe you can't possibly be an idiot?

Ooookay....

bacon12
12-02-07, 04:42 PM
And he is now a huge figure in the industry, so I don't think it was a moronic thing to do. He's just speaking what he believes, something lacking in today's sissy, get-in-touch-with-your-sissiness-and-watch-"The View" society.

Yes I see where you could look up to him for fighting the good fight. -- NOT! You do realize this man blamed that Virginia Tech (http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-tech/breaking-idiot-thompson-blames-va-shooting-on-games-252702.php) shooting on the kid being a gamer right?

You probably are a bill o'reilly fan as well, so I think I am wasting my time trying to reason with you as you are of a mindset that I will never understand, much less agree with.

3DBrad
12-02-07, 07:51 PM
Huge figure? He is hugely imfamous if that's what you mean. So just because you speak what you believe you can't possibly be an idiot?

Ooookay....

You're making an assumption that has no validity to it. Peter Moore speaks his mind all the time, but he is still an idiot, along with Rosie. O'Donnel. However, Thomson simply says what parents used to say all the time. My parents would have never let me play some of the games out now, and rightfully so. Too bad people today, being blind by the world, are past feeling, and have no shame.

3DBrad
12-02-07, 07:52 PM
Yes I see where you could look up to him for fighting the good fight. -- NOT! You do realize this man blamed that Virginia Tech (http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-tech/breaking-idiot-thompson-blames-va-shooting-on-games-252702.php) shooting on the kid being a gamer right?

You probably are a bill o'reilly fan as well, so I think I am wasting my time trying to reason with you as you are of a mindset that I will never understand, much less agree with.

Bill O'Reilly is a political conservative, but I am certainly not a fan of his, and cannot stand to watch his show.

breathemetal
12-02-07, 08:02 PM
Jack Thomson sucks. That's all there is too it.
**** him. :thumbdwn: