PDA

View Full Version : Difference between gts and gt beside die size?

Fathertime36
12-02-07, 03:37 PM
Someone plz explain to me or point me in the direction of a site that expalins the differences and pros and cons of both chips, Kind of pissed off a little about this scheme nvidia ran with this line up ....usually it is gtx then the gt, gt almost but not quite as good, I figured the gts was the new version of the old" gt lineup.....except now there is a gt lineup which I'm guessing outperforms the gts and is cheaper to boot and runs cooler due to the decrease in die size.
Anyone care to elaborate.

3DBrad
12-02-07, 03:48 PM
The new GTS will be around $470 or so reportedly, so the 8800gt by far is still the better deal.

Fathertime36
12-02-07, 03:55 PM
OKay, so the 8800 GTS i have is the old version now? wtf' they are going to release two different versions under the same product name.....I fail to understand.:cool:

SlieTheSecond
12-02-07, 08:57 PM
They released the GTS (320/640 meg) and the GTX. Then the Ultra

Then the new GT's, which has the die shrink. Now the New GTS will be out this month? (It's not out yet, so if you have a GTS, its the old one). Which will have 512 Ram I believe.

MUYA
12-02-07, 09:02 PM
The new GTS are available in Singapore now according to VR-Zone and cost the buyers who got one, USD$370 each.... not bad eh?

JasonPC
12-02-07, 09:21 PM
It looks like the new GTS is going to run around $350-$400. But like everyone was speculating, it doesn't touch the ultra like once hoped.

Fathertime36
12-02-07, 09:44 PM
Cool, thanks for the replies.....I'm going to hang on to what i have now....until the next actual real" generation is release and not some rehash....I know people who are still using 6xxx card for crying out loud...I wish ATI was still in the game....competition suites this hardware market and it has suffered because there is now no competition.

SlieTheSecond
12-02-07, 10:23 PM
Well, the GT beats the current GTS. And cost less. A lot less.
(I know, have both the 640 GTS and the GT).

Fathertime36
12-02-07, 11:43 PM
Well, the GT beats the current GTS. And cost less. A lot less.
(I know, have both the 640 GTS and the GT).
If....IF I was upgrading from 7XXX it would be a no brainer, of course i would go with a 8800gt, but under my circumstances and according to every bench I've seen by 5%-10% advantage for sheer speed due to higher clock cycles, I can oc a gts too and it has a much better hsf, if you have either one why replace it?, marginal insignificant difference of performance....gts still hold some advantages, Bandwidth max (GB/s) 57.6 vs 64 and more 1/3 more stream processors 64 vs 96, Fillrate max (billion texel/s) 23.68 vs 24....yaadaah yaadah yah

SlieTheSecond
12-03-07, 12:00 AM
I wasn't telling you to upgrade. I was just saying the GT is faster.

The memory bandwidth is insignificant between the two cards, at least at a res of 1680x1050. I can run every single setting I ran with the GTS, but faster (including higher than 16xAA). The stock hsf is perfectly fine. And the gt has 112 stream processors, not 64.

But again, I was not saying to upgrade. I was saying from owning both cards, the GT outperforms the GTS.