PDA

View Full Version : Where are we headed?

mythy
12-02-07, 06:12 PM
I was just wondering where do you think Performance PCs are headed? Are we likely to see dual socket PCs other then servers for hardcore power users or will Intel and AMD head toward 8 cores in a single chip? :p

I'm just wondering because I do a crap load of 1080P trans coding and it takes 8 or so hours and up to 24 depending on settings and thats with 4 cores :p

T.h.o.m.a.s.
12-02-07, 06:16 PM
they will eventually evolve like their gpu cousins
see the quad core as a geforce 1

Libertysyclone
12-02-07, 06:34 PM
youll see GPUs start taking over high computation programs. Nvidias CUDA programming is HUGE within the science world. there have been programmers that have seen a 200x increase in perf of there programs with GPUs

mythy
12-02-07, 06:41 PM
I was hoping for Multi CPU support my self but AMD never got it off the ground and Skull trail well Xeons are $$$ and FB uhhh :( I stll might save some cash and grab it after its first 6 moths or so just to see if it will live or die off like AMD's

LORD-eX-Bu
12-02-07, 07:18 PM
bye, I'm going to Mexico :lol:

crainger
12-02-07, 07:32 PM
:rofl

Bman212121
12-02-07, 08:05 PM
I was just wondering where do you think Performance PCs are headed? Are we likely to see dual socket PCs other then servers for hardcore power users or will Intel and AMD head toward 8 cores in a single chip? :p

I'm just wondering because I do a crap load of 1080P trans coding and it takes 8 or so hours and up to 24 depending on settings and thats with 4 cores :p

Think of it this way, how long would that have taken 3 years ago on a P4 running a 3.4 versus your Q6600? I still fully see single sockets but once they can no longer increase the number of cores efficiently they will probably go back to increasing the frequency. If your using Divx you might want to replace that Q6600 for a penryn for the SSE4 support. :D

Like liberty said, I really hope that we see more usage of the GPU because it is a floating point monster. With the combinatation of CPU + high end GPU, it probably wouldn't be long before you'll be able to encode that in realtime.

MUYA
12-02-07, 08:08 PM
Well, where are we heading? We still have to live with the hack x86 architecture so...in terms of efficiency, the Intels and AMDs will have to keep on pumping the HURTZ (sic) for better performance. Shame we cannot adopt a better slicker architecture because of the costs and logistics and other things involved

So maybe a 5+ GHz quad core desktop CPU in the 2008? Can you say mini super-computer?

1GB the norm for vid cards which can throughput 2 teraflops? with 4X aa allmost for free at high res.

Still looking good! :D

mythy
12-02-07, 08:09 PM
264 ;) 6MB/s 1920x1080 24fps Right now my 3 pass is on its final pass at 7.2fps :(

Amuro
12-02-07, 09:30 PM
Heterogeneous multicore processor is the way to go. Nehalem can have up to 8+ cores, on a single die, and possibly a mix of homogeneous and hetergeneous cores.

Rakeesh
12-02-07, 09:35 PM
Well, where are we heading? We still have to live with the hack x86 architecture so...in terms of efficiency, the Intels and AMDs will have to keep on pumping the HURTZ (sic) for better performance. Shame we cannot adopt a better slicker architecture because of the costs and logistics and other things involved

Even if they did that though, you'd only see a 10% clock for clock improvement at best. People already complain enough about upgrading to a new operating system, imagine how bad that would be if virtually none of their programs worked on a new platform all in the name of a 10% performance increase.

Emulation wouldn't be feasible for quite some time either.

Heterogeneous multicore processor is the way to go. Nehalem can have up to 8+ cores, on a single die, and possibly a mix of homogenous and hetergeneous cores.

Gib would complain if we had less homogenous cores.

mullet
12-02-07, 10:33 PM
I would like to see a GPU socket like the CPU and make it a standard, Nvidia or ATI socket. I think you could also have ram in the size of a laptop for upgrade ability. This would also be cool that you could use a big CPU cooler on the gpu socket as well, dual core & quad core so on and on.

Rakeesh
12-03-07, 04:41 PM
I would like to see a GPU socket like the CPU and make it a standard, Nvidia or ATI socket. I think you could also have ram in the size of a laptop for upgrade ability. This would also be cool that you could use a big CPU cooler on the gpu socket as well, dual core & quad core so on and on.

In that case there would need to be a standardized VPU architecture (as opposed to GPU, since you are effectively turning it into an auxiliary vector processor.) Similar to how we have standard x86 for CPU's, you'd need a common instruction set and syntax among the different brands. It could of course also be used to process physics as well as graphics.

You'd also need a standardized bus for this VPU, and it would need to be separate from the PC's front side bus. And given the difference in architecture between nvidia and ati, it could end up that you need to have some boards for ATI VPU's, and some boards for nVidia VPU's, just like how we currently have AMD boards and Intel boards.

XDanger
12-03-07, 05:13 PM
4x24 core 22nm cpu's each core hyperthreading giving effective 48 cores running @ 5.2ghz in a modular cpu case with pci-e 5.0 cable connections to the graphics module please.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-03-07, 05:14 PM
:headexplode:

methimpikehoses
12-03-07, 05:39 PM
4x24 core 22nm cpu's each core hyperthreading giving effective 48 cores running @ 5.2ghz in a modular cpu case with pci-e 5.0 cable connections to the graphics module please.

Over, Niner. Under, Dunn.

mythy
12-03-07, 05:49 PM
OMG all that hardware would require me to get a 2 inch enlargement :p