PDA

View Full Version : Should I get another 360???

tornadog
12-03-07, 05:36 PM
Now that I have sold my RROD repaired 360, I am wondering if I should another one brand new with HDMI and the latest chipset??

I am realizing that I am pretty much at the end of my gaming phase in life...its been a wonderful 15 years, but nothing excites me anymore other than the occasional game...owning all 3 consoles and a gaming pc always seemed an overkill and now that one is gone, I am wondering if I should make the change permanent.

I still feel the 360 has better media streaming capabilities than the ps3, and thats one aspect I will miss till the ps3 comes upto speed!!!

Severian126
12-03-07, 05:46 PM
No one likes a quitter. ;)

ENU291
12-03-07, 06:22 PM
Now that I have sold my RROD repaired 360, I am wondering if I should another one brand new with HDMI and the latest chipset??

I am realizing that I am pretty much at the end of my gaming phase in life...its been a wonderful 15 years, but nothing excites me anymore other than the occasional game...owning all 3 consoles and a gaming pc always seemed an overkill and now that one is gone, I am wondering if I should make the change permanent.

I still feel the 360 has better media streaming capabilities than the ps3, and thats one aspect I will miss till the ps3 comes upto speed!!!
Question: Should you get another 360?
Answer: YES!

Close thread!

:D

SeriTonin
12-03-07, 07:55 PM

It's funny cause I'm in the same boat your in. Got rid of the rig for a while went 360 exclusively, bought into the hype of ut3 coming to pc before consoles, crysis, and the new levels in gears all made me build a new rig and sell the 360..I refuse to game with more than one device, which is why I sell one and keep one at all times. Life is too important to game through and if I had both I'd lose a lot of motivation quick heh.

Gaming doesn't excite me anymore, gears still stutters severely, even after the patch, ut3 look and plays like crap thats pixel shaded in 3.0 and crysis...i dunno man, just felt like farcry with a graphics lift.

Im now wondering if I should go back to my 360 exclusivity. I was enjoying bioshock and stranglehold with a controler and gears without massive stuttering.

DX10 is years from maturing and developers are going to continue to push dx9 as it's what the main 2 consoles have to offer. There aren't enough cryteks to make pc only dx10 paths....and i'm not talking a sh*tty patch that adds a strand of fur in a jacket in 3 scenes of the whole game :rolleyes:

DX9 is gonna be here for a while, dx10 is pc exclusive but it runs like ass and is years from getting any decent support.

Like a fat man in a burger king, I weigh my options.

Ruined
12-03-07, 08:01 PM
The PS3 can EASILY dominate the media streaming capabilities of the 360. It just takes a little work on your part :D

Install Linux on your PS3, setup VLC media player, and BAM, you can open any video file on your network and play it on your tv.

Same goes for a $50 XBOX1 and XBMC :p

Zapablast05
12-03-07, 08:24 PM

Yes. Get the 360. All new 360's as of late August come out with the updated Falcon board which has a 65nm processor and the extra HDMI port, that's the one I got. If you want to know which Xbox has the Falcon board on it, look for this on the little white sticker on the side of the box:

TEAM: FDOU and/or LOT NO: 734 for the Halo Edition, 742 for the Regular.
and in the PSU part, look for 175W

My lot number was 742, so the TEAM code seems more reliable because the lot number varies. Here's the link to the site where I discovored how to find out if it's a Falcon 360:

http://forums.xbox.com/17102275/ShowPost.aspx

crainger
12-03-07, 08:27 PM
Same goes for a $50 XBOX1 and XBMC :p

QFT. Except it hasn't the grunt for HD. :(

Buenamos
12-03-07, 09:55 PM
The PS3 can EASILY dominate the media streaming capabilities of the 360. It just takes a little work on your part :D

Install Linux on your PS3, setup VLC media player, and BAM, you can open any video file on your network and play it on your tv.

I searched around a bit I'm having a bit of a problem finding out exactly which way is the best. I'm currently using an older PC media center and my xbox (xbmc) for viewing divx movies on our TV but neither are capable of watching our HD content.

Which Linux distro would you guys recommend and if combined with VLC media player, would it be quick enough to handle all my HD movies that are in mkv wrappers? (720p & 1080p)

Buenamos
12-04-07, 01:53 AM
Well, Yellow Dog Linux is the best distro for the PS3 (it was designed for the console). I've never actually tried any HD content from within Linux...but I have a feeling that the console wouldn't be able to handle it. It SEEMS as though I recall someone saying that their PS3 dropped too many frames when they would try to play HD content using VLC.

I just use mine for standard Divx stuff, my anime in particular.

That's a shame. The PS3 obviously has enough power to do it, it's unfortunate that noone has taken advantage of it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg_VwXh7LcM&feature=related

Any clue on that video?

tornadog
12-04-07, 11:07 AM
Was wondering are there any games that are only coming on the 360 that I wont find on the pc/ps3/wii???

Lyme
12-04-07, 11:43 AM
Was wondering are there any games that are only coming on the 360 that I wont find on the pc/ps3/wii???

Why talk about what is going to come out when you can talk about what currently is out, but if you must http://www.rainslick.com/

Anyhow, I've been considering getting a second 360 for the upstairs bedroom so I can watch recorded tv there too.. I am a little worried that my lowly htpc rig will require a hardware update to handle two tuners and two media center extenders. I currently have it going off a 1.8ghz athlon with 1gig of ram.

Apollo 13
12-04-07, 12:46 PM

Why waste the money on getting another 360 when mosts of the games are on PC and PS3? I have a 360 right now and if I sold it i'm not getting it again unless I see some exclusive games out next year for the 360 that I want. I only play Texas Hold'em on my 360 right now, and that's the only reason i'm keeping it:) . Mosts of the games that are exclusive right now to 360 are over hyped. I owned Halo and sold it because it was over hyped and not good to me...I also sold Mass Effect because of the same thing plus its buggy as hell. I'v been using my 360 controller on a lot of my console games that are PC and love it. Next year doesn't even look that good for the 360 since the very little of the exclusive it does have will also be on PC. You should be happy with a PC, Wii, and PS3.