PDA

View Full Version : New 360 Dashboard Update = Awesome!

Pages : [1] 2

Peoples-Agent
12-04-07, 10:31 AM
What do you make of the latest 360 update?

I've just been playing Xvids and they look absolutely sweet as, very little pixelation.... if any, and it acts in the same way as it would Music. You can simply point it in the direction of the videos on your pc.

The dash itself is so much snappier aswell, much much faster. Use to be very sluggish comparing to this.

Very happy.... nice one Microsoft.

Lyme
12-04-07, 10:38 AM
I'm waiting for someone to say it bricked or RROD their 360. Unfortunatly I forgot it came out this morning, and will have to wait until after work to install the update.

Sabadin
12-04-07, 11:02 AM
Not impressed, they lied about extending the IPTV service to Canada with this update. And now for some reason my wireless connection on it doesn't work after testing out the video stuff...

tinker time...

ya..it's just being retarded and keeps forgetting the encryption key. Working fine now.

Peoples-Agent
12-04-07, 11:23 AM
I think the IPTV roll out is on the 11th December or something.

Apollo 13
12-04-07, 11:38 AM
nothing really new. These annually updates should have a crap load of things not just a couple new features. I quess it's cool now since I don't have to use transcode 360 to play my xvid files anymore.

Sabadin
12-04-07, 11:59 AM
Not having much luck with the xvid thing here, still keep getting those stupid codec errors.

Mr. Hunt
12-04-07, 01:24 PM
It is awesome... now going from the PS3 to 360 isn't a jump because Microsoft used the XMB layout... sweetness.

ViN86
12-04-07, 01:28 PM
hmm, it seems to respond faster.

maybe it's just me? :confused:

NaitoSan
12-04-07, 01:37 PM
yeah it seems quicker for me. very nice update. :)

Peoples-Agent
12-04-07, 01:53 PM
Not having much luck with the xvid thing here, still keep getting those stupid codec errors.

When you try and play / stream an Xvid video from the dashboard (not Media Centre Extender) it should prompt you to download a free optional update, this adds Xvid support.

Lyme
12-04-07, 01:56 PM
Not impressed, they lied about extending the IPTV service to Canada with this update. And now for some reason my wireless connection on it doesn't work after testing out the video stuff...

tinker time...

ya..it's just being retarded and keeps forgetting the encryption key. Working fine now.

They didn't promise the video market place stuff would be part of this update, they did however say it would be this year (and they are rapidly running out of time). Yes, I want the Canadian Video Marketplace too!!

The changelog for the update http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103429

Faster navigation is one of the changes.

S.I.N
12-04-07, 02:52 PM
I converted and put a few vids to DivX and put them on a CD but I cant even browse it. Can you watch them via CD?

Sabadin
12-04-07, 03:07 PM
When you try and play / stream an Xvid video from the dashboard (not Media Centre Extender) it should prompt you to download a free optional update, this adds Xvid support.

Well that would be great...if it would let actually try to use something other than MCE...360 tells me a I need to install software on my pc to stream wmp, installer website says "lol, vista doesn't need software" and runs me in circles.

Subtestube
12-04-07, 06:16 PM
Well that would be great...if it would let actually try to use something other than MCE...360 tells me a I need to install software on my pc to stream wmp, installer website says "lol, vista doesn't need software" and runs me in circles.

You need to enable media sharing - I believe that's actually integrated into the shell in Vista, but I don't know how to do it, apologies. If worst comes to worst, you should be able to just do it through WMP 11.

As for IPTV, I thought a provider in each territory needed to do that, and that MS has just added support for it, if a provider exists in a given territory? Could be wrong on that front, as we get nothing of any use at all with regards to video in NZ.

Sabadin
12-04-07, 06:18 PM
You need to enable media sharing - I believe that's actually integrated into the shell in Vista, but I don't know how to do it, apologies. If worst comes to worst, you should be able to just do it through WMP 11.

Ya I've done that much, PC has no problems seeing my 360, but my 360 is still being retarded and not picking anything up.

ralinn
12-04-07, 06:56 PM
Have you closed a previous connection?

You may need to go to the system settings on the far right blade and disconnect/reconnect.

Lyme
12-04-07, 08:02 PM

The software is included with windows media player 11.

Once you have opened it, click the down arrow below 'library' then click 'media sharing'.

Sabadin
12-04-07, 08:57 PM
The software is included with windows media player 11.

Once you have opened it, click the down arrow below 'library' then click 'media sharing'.

Been there, done that, still insists there are no available pc's

Lyme
12-04-07, 09:15 PM
Been there, done that, still insists there are no available pc's

If you turn on your 360, does it show it? If it isn't showing, you likely need to fix your software firewall.

While this may sound stupid, what it is showing is what devices/pc's the current computer your on will share to, you don't need to select yourself because that is redundant.

Sabadin
12-04-07, 09:23 PM
If you turn on your 360, does it show it? If it isn't showing, you likely need to fix your software firewall.

While this may sound stupid, what it is showing is what devices/pc's the current computer your on will share to, you don't need to select yourself because that is redundant.

Ya, my 360 shows up fine in the wmp sharing list. not sure what it's problem is.

Lyme
12-04-07, 11:10 PM
Ya, my 360 shows up fine in the wmp sharing list. not sure what it's problem is.

Then it is working as it should. Give the 360 in the list permission to see the media on that computer, then use your 360 to play it. (I don't think I'm explaining this well).

crainger
12-04-07, 11:51 PM
Update is great. Can almost replace my XBMC Xbox.

Sabadin
12-05-07, 12:25 AM
Then it is working as it should. Give the 360 in the list permission to see the media on that computer, then use your 360 to play it. (I don't think I'm explaining this well).

Ya, I thought it's supposed to be that easy, I guess my 360 has downs or something lol.

|MaguS|
12-05-07, 08:22 AM
Wish I had a PC to do Media Sharing. :(

nekrosoft13
12-05-07, 08:34 AM
Few questions now that xbox 360 can be useful for multimedia users.

Back in May i bought 360 had the system for about 3 weeks, in that time i played about 3-4 hours of games on it.

Only game that I would play on 360 would be either racing or fighting. Not gonna waste my time with shooters I have PC for that. Multimedia functions compared to XBMC were pathetic. Now after this fall update, how much has really changed?

1) 360 can play all (or most) Divx/Xvid files?

2) Is there anyway for MKV(720/1080p) files to play? x264 video, audio either AC3 or OGG

3) Can wide JPG images be used as thumbnails?

4) Does WMP11 has to be used? PC with all media doesn't have WMP11, with XBMC i just used network shares (SMB)

5) Can media files be rewind, forward, change aspect ratio?

6) can media files be zoomed? 4:3 video with top and bottom cut-off to fit 16:9 screen?