PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Assasins Creed Devs Stumped

Pages : [1] 2

Lyme
12-05-07, 10:19 AM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/12/05/ubisoft-stumped-over-ps3-assassins-creed-problems

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4235554.html
We spoke with Michael Beadle, Ubisoft’s senior public-relations manager, about the freezing problems. He says Ubisoft is investigating the matter and is not exactly sure what’s causing the glitches. The company noted a drop in complaints once PS3 gamers noticed that turning off the automated login feature on the PlayStation Network, or PSN, reduced the number of crashes. We tried this, but the game still crashed. Ubisoft is working on a patch for the problems using feedback from gamers and blogs, Beadle says.

As some development activities are part of my job, I really really really hate it when you simply cannot pin down the cause of a issue and resolve it. (No I do not work in the games industry).

S.I.N
12-05-07, 11:40 AM
What are you like the spokesperson for bad news for PS3 and good news for the XBox 360?

evilchris
12-05-07, 12:46 PM
teh cell doesnt freeze. This must be FUD. The PS3 is perfect. Only the X360 freezes.

zoomy942
12-05-07, 12:52 PM
teh cell doesnt freeze. This must be FUD. The PS3 is perfect. Only the X360 freezes.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

ViN86
12-05-07, 02:00 PM
:rofl

Q
12-05-07, 02:07 PM

You are so full of ****, Chris.

You damn well know that the mother****ing Koreans used teh cEll in their freeze ray.

Moo
12-05-07, 02:18 PM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/88/241602943_51cc96a40a.jpg

Severian126
12-05-07, 02:27 PM
You are so full of ****, Chris.

You damn well know that the mother****ing Koreans used teh cEll in their freeze ray.

No Q, you are full of ****.

You're implying teh CeL1 can be used by any living being or any inanimate object. It's the other way around, TEH C3L1 uses the Koreans and it is by its grace that m***** *****ng teh freeze ray exists. Get your facts straight. You're spouting blasphemy.

Lyme
12-05-07, 03:35 PM
What are you like the spokesperson for bad news for PS3 and good news for the XBox 360?

For the last time, Yes I AM!

Seriously though, I didn't slam the PS3 at all, I was simply providing simpathies for Ubisoft.

sammy sung
12-05-07, 06:45 PM
I'm about to provide sympathies FOR YOUR FACE!! :p

Sorry...I've been wanting to do a "your face" joke for the past 30 minutes, I've been searching the forums for any opportunity to do it.

That was kinda weak but in a funny way .

:rofl

ViN86
12-05-07, 07:42 PM

Sorry...I've been wanting to do a "your face" joke for the past 30 minutes, I've been searching the forums for any opportunity to do it.
LOL that was actually pretty good.

Amuro
12-05-07, 08:15 PM

LOL... not bad!

Lyme
12-05-07, 08:32 PM

Don't make me smack my face repeatedly into you fist, you'll be sorry.

crainger
12-05-07, 09:23 PM

Nice.

OK. You do "your face" jokes. I'll do the "In my pants" jokes.

Severian126
12-05-07, 09:28 PM
YOURe M0M!!1

crainger
12-05-07, 09:34 PM
YOURe M0M!!1

Is in my pants? :wtf:

Severian126
12-05-07, 09:37 PM
Is in my pants? :wtf:

Or in Butter's face.

crainger
12-05-07, 09:42 PM
I just sent my girlfriend a message that said "I'm about to pop you in the face" and she replied "I could have you put in jail for saying that."

An extract from Butter Bandit's guide to a healthly relationship.

nemecb
12-06-07, 09:47 AM
Non-reproduceable glitches are the worst thing ever. The ones that keep popping up, but you can never figure out what causes them.

In those situations...I blame the compiler:D
Compilers cause your code to do things it shouldn't, but generally it consistently misbehaves. The most common causes of intermittent problems like this are multi-threading bugs, heap corruption, and uninitialized values. Since this is the PS3 with its 7 cores, I'd probably lean toward the first one, but any of them could have the same effect.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled "Your Mom" jokes.:D

Q
12-06-07, 09:48 AM
She then said "You know, I'm really ashamed of myself for laughing at that."

Does she tell you that when you both are embraced in the intimate act of making love?

Lyme
12-06-07, 12:40 PM
YOURe M0M!!1

Get off my mom, I got off yours.

Lyme
12-06-07, 12:42 PM
I STILL blame the compiler. :p

I blame the programers for not understanding how to program for multiple cores. Then again, the concepts governing how to distribute similar workload among multiple cores when the workload is tightly related is not simple.

Severian126
12-06-07, 12:46 PM
Get off my mom, I got off yours.

Cool. But you know, you're implying that I was.....ah nm. :P

thor1182
12-06-07, 12:56 PM
I blame the programers for not understanding how to program for multiple cores. Then again, the concepts governing how to distribute similar workload among multiple cores when the workload is tightly related is not simple.

see this is where what you said is not correct. the 360 is multi core, and people have not complained. The Cell is a non-symmetric multi core making anything they have learned or done for a PC or the 360 worthless. So its the devs not knowing how to program for the CELL, not multi core

Lyme
12-06-07, 01:04 PM
see this is where what you said is not correct. the 360 is multi core, and people have not complained. The Cell is a non-symmetric multi core making anything they have learned or done for a PC or the 360 worthless. So its the devs not knowing how to program for the CELL, not multi core

There are signifcant differences between the 360 and the PS3, which compound this issues on the PS3. Let me breifly state them:
-The six threads (two per core) on the 360 are almost identical, while on the PS3 you have 1 cpu and 7 spu's.
-The identical-ness of the 360 threads have been tweaked such that specific game tasks have a affinity for specific threads. (functionality is reduced in some cases).
-(the big one) MS provides really great profiling software so you can see the interactions between the different threads (in realtime, or slowed down). So you can see if your game stall is due to contention between threads.
-Problems with cores/threads in contention is exaserbated as you scale the number of threads/cores.