PDA

View Full Version : Not what I expected

Pages : [1] 2

DoomUK
12-06-07, 07:18 AM
The first half of the game was absolutely incredible. A worthy "successor" to Far Cry by all accounts, and then some...

I wish I could say the same for the latter half. Some of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had, in particular that God awful "Cave" level. Complete toss.

Not to mention the game was far too short, a common complaint with many games nowadays.

Oh well, it IS EA we're talking about :rolleyes:

|MaguS|
12-06-07, 07:25 AM
Oh well, it IS EA we're talking about :rolleyes:

Yes blame the Publisher, Not the guys who actually MADE the game.

WeReWoLf
12-06-07, 07:25 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing there Magus

Dazz
12-06-07, 07:29 AM
Yes blame the Publisher, Not the guys who actually MADE the game.Incorrect, blaim the pusblisher they have more say then delevopers. EA pays their wages and they get what they want, release dates content and time frame. If EA didn't take them over it would still be indevelopment. If EA took over the team doing Duke Nukem for ever, we would have the game years ago. So there are good and bad points but EA just want sales they could not careless about you or me.

DoomUK
12-06-07, 07:32 AM
Yes blame the Publisher, Not the guys who actually MADE the game.

Why not? You can just visualise the EA Fat Cats (sic) badgering the Crytek gang:-

"Good work guys on the first 3 or 4 levels at the start of the game. That'll keep them happy. Now hurry up and finish the rest of it"...

JohnDio
12-06-07, 08:00 AM
Personally i enjoyed Crysis. The first half is like Far Cry and then it get's intense, fast, full of action. It satisfies both the lovers of the scripted action games (the ones that claim COD4 is better than Crysis that haven't even played the damn game) and the fans of the freeform games.

Thingding
12-06-07, 08:11 AM
That's what I think happened too.

EA: "Okay guys where are you up to making this Cryshmish game?"
Crytek: "Dunno maybe 75% of the way through."
EA: "Okay well can you finish it off in three weeks?"
Crytek: "Three weeks?!"
EA: "Is there some sort of a problem?"
Crytek: (sighs) "No sir."
EA: "That's my b*tch."

So to meet that deadline Crytek chopped off all the good stuff like the real ending where you get to teleport to Xev and fight a giant baby.

Blame EA for that. That and the holocaust.

Capt. Picard
12-06-07, 08:17 AM
That's what I think happened too.

EA: "Hmm yeah, how far are you up to making this Cryshmish game?"
Crytek: "Dunno maybe 75% of the way through."
EA: "I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and finish it up by Friiiday."
Crytek: "Friday?!"
EA: "Yeaaah, is there some sort of a problem here?"
EA: "Greeeaaat."

Stalks off with coffee mug in hand

http://www.officefinder.com/images/Office_space_Watercooler.jpg
Fixed

jAkUp
12-06-07, 11:23 AM
I enjoyed the first and second half, I thought the cave level was pretty cool visually.

agentkay
12-06-07, 11:37 AM
I enjoyed the first and second half, I thought the cave level was pretty cool visually.

+1 I liked the different pace of the cave/alienship level after the long and difficult Awakening level. It was relaxing and visually impressive but maybe 5 or 10 minutes too long and the green aliens were a little cheesy but the rest of the level was great. I actually wished they had implemented a little more difficult zero-G enviroment where the Q/E keys wouldn't self-center the player. Sort of how it was done in the old "Descent" games. :)

Logical
12-06-07, 01:25 PM
EA: "Hmm yeah, how far are you up to making this Cryshmish game?"
Crytek: "Dunno maybe 35% of the way through."
EA: "I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and finish it up by Friday morning and stick the multiplayer on by Friday afternoon."
Crytek: "Friday...multiplayer...meh?!"
EA: "Yeaaah, is there some sort of a problem here?"
EA: "Greeeaaat."

Stalks off with coffee mug in hand

http://www.officefinder.com/images/Office_space_Watercooler.jpg

lol fixed again.

SH64
12-06-07, 01:26 PM
How many times we have to read about this ?

grey_1
12-06-07, 02:53 PM
How many times we have to read about this ?
Until I decide if I'm getting this game or not. :D

SH64
12-06-07, 03:33 PM
Grey my friend ... you seriously need to get Crysis & ASAP!

DoomUK
12-06-07, 03:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, it's still worth the purchase. Just turn off your PC after playing the first half :p

methimpikehoses
12-06-07, 03:53 PM

It's worth it for the first half. The cave and vtol levels sort of suck, but visually all of it's great, and the gameplay is very good 87.4% of the time.

grey_1
12-06-07, 03:59 PM
I found that with that one tweak - something about "streamingtextures 0" or something like that, my FPS are very decent, 30-45 fps, on my 7900GTX, with a mix of medium and high settings.

That sways my decision bigtime, looks nice considering the older card.

I may grab it tomorrow...

ralinn
12-06-07, 06:24 PM
I enjoyed all of it. The first half felt too much like Farcry so I enjoyed the change in pace. Seems like everyone has a different opinion of it from all the comments I've read. Some liked the Farcry gameplay more, some liked the more linear stuff. I enjoyed the linear stuff more myself, as sometimes the more freedom, the more boring it can get.

+ I very much doubt EA had THAT much power over the game. Crytek seem passionate about their games, they're not so easily walked over.

Destroy
12-06-07, 06:36 PM
What I can't figure out is why didn't they intermix the first more open half parts with the more linear 2nd half parts? Was it a pacing thing they were going after?

MowTin
12-07-07, 01:12 AM
I think the scripted parts take longer to develop than the open non-linear levels. With the non-linear levels you just create a base and place some towers and guards and jeep patrols and you're done.

Personally, I don't care for big bosses in FPS games. I didn't like the final boss battle in the original HL. I didn't like the boss battle in Bioshock. I don't think FPS games work well with boss battles. That's more for platform games.

Oh, I stopped playing DOOM3 at the final boss. Never finished the game.

I just don't like final bosses in FPS games.

In Crysis I think the final boss kinda sucks.

Hoopla
12-07-07, 01:42 AM
The first half of the game was absolutely incredible. A worthy "successor" to Far Cry by all accounts, and then some...

I wish I could say the same for the latter half. Some of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had, in particular that God awful "Cave" level. Complete toss.

Not to mention the game was far too short, a common complaint with many games nowadays.

Oh please people, quit the whining already. A short game does not equal a bad game. (See Portal and COD4 for examples).

Also, after a bunch of jungle levels, the alien levels were a nice change of pace and atmosphere just before things started to get repetitive.

Gaco
12-07-07, 05:20 PM
I can see how some people could be intimidated by the latter third (and lets be fair here, what you critisize is at least two thirds through the game), but I I liked the whole game actually, that's just me. It's pretty short yeah, but has a pretty replayability value IMO, especially when you purchase a new PC whenever that is. MP is fun but nothing striking. An experience as good as Crysis shouldn't be skipped on grounds of it being "short" anyways IMO, and I'm quite confident that most people prefer shorter but sweeter games to longer and more boring/repetitive gameplay in any case..

Grey I can't believe you let the screamers scare you off this game; the sceptical ones will almost be the most noisy you know. This game is not flawless but an absolutely fantastic experience nonetheless.. was for me at least and I know I'm not alone with that ;)

SH64
12-07-07, 05:29 PM
That sways my decision bigtime, looks nice considering the older card.

I may grab it tomorrow...
So did you get it yet ? :p

grey_1
12-07-07, 05:56 PM
So did you get it yet ? :p
nyet Bro. :o Got a bit of Christmas shopping to do yet. Kids and Wifey first FTW. :)

methimpikehoses
12-07-07, 06:07 PM
nyet Bro. :o Got a bit of Christmas shopping to do yet. Kids and Wifey first FTW. :)

What a guy. :o