PDA

View Full Version : NX8800GT OC Artifacting

dannyhc
12-08-07, 05:01 AM
Hey guys,

I just picked up one of these bad boys on Thursday night and I can't even get 10mins of Gears of Wars without it doing this, followed by hardware locking;

http://users.tpg.com.au/dancorp/nx8800.jpg

I have an Asus A8RMVP Deluxe motherboard, this is not a PCI Express 2.0 board.
A64 Socket 939 3700+ single core San Diego
A Lian Li PC-70 Full server Case (Ambient room temp is 24degrees)
2 x 1 gig OCZ Plat DDR
Creative X-fi Music Extreme
Antec NeoHE 500 PSU
1 x MSI NX8800GT-T2D12E-OC
RAID 0 2x Seagate 300gig 7200.9
Windows XP Pro 32 bit with 162.09 Forceware Driver

Any ideas as to what could be responsible, I havn't modified the card in any way and I don't want to spend extra dollars on an after market cooler.

I am confused about the power requirements the Box says I need a minimum of 400W with a minimum of 12V current rating of 26A whereas my PSU says it's 3 +12V output circuits max load 23A on the 3.3 and 17A on the 12V1

I have 5 modular plus for the unit how do I know which ones are the 12V ones or does it auto switch accordingly?

As is stands now I plan to return the card for my money back and probably pickup a GTS instead.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dan

Greg
12-08-07, 05:52 AM
Please install nTune from here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

Then from nVidia Control Panel
Performance -> Adjust GPU Settings
check Direct fan control
Drag GPU(3D) slider to 100%
Test your games.

The purpose of this test was to see if your card has a fan speed problem. Note that those nTune settings will not be saved. They will be reset to default on next restart.

Please report back for further suggestions.

dannyhc
12-08-07, 02:58 PM
Looks like this is a common problem with this card,

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=112817.0

I will be getting a refund thanks for helping and stay away from anything MSI related, looks like their QC department only test the cards for 3mins before passing them as an OC edition :thumbdwn:

wysiwyg
12-08-07, 03:07 PM
hi i got a BFG 8800GT OC2 and was getting exactly the same thing

i had to lower the memory to 900 (1800mhz) with rivatuner to get it stable

but i have just installed a Thermalright GT cooler which is better than the crap stock cooler. i need to test a few games still but hopefully this cooler sorted the heat issue

SlieTheSecond
12-08-07, 03:15 PM
A) Don't install ntune. It's crap. Get riva tuner instead
B) It's not MSI. All vendors suffer from this. You have two options. 1) Turn up your fan speed. 2) Lower your vram's clocks.

Greg
12-08-07, 06:12 PM
Looks like this is a common problem with this card,

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=112817.0

I will be getting a refund thanks for helping and stay away from anything MSI related, looks like their QC department only test the cards for 3mins before passing them as an OC edition :thumbdwn:

This issue is not unique to MSI. Their QC and support might not be the best, but don't black list the brand for this issue. Only a small number of early version cards are effected.

A) Don't install ntune. It's crap. Get riva tuner instead
B) It's not MSI. All vendors suffer from this. You have two options. 1) Turn up your fan speed. 2) Lower your vram's clocks.
I asked him to install nTune simply because it is nVidias official utility, and I just want the result of a fan test. RivaTuner has superior features but is also more complex and easier to screw things up.

Right now, please use nTune or RivaTuner, bump up that fan speed and test if the problem appears to go away. I have some more ideas for you, since I have exactly the same card.

dannyhc
12-09-07, 05:16 AM
This issue is not unique to MSI. Their QC and support might not be the best, but don't black list the brand for this issue. Only a small number of early version cards are effected.

This is not a early revision card it has the RED pcb board as opposed to the green reviewed on NVNEWS!!!

This card should work out of the box without altering any setting that's why I paid an extra $40 for the privledge of having a guarenteed overclock.

The resolution of increasing the fan speed when it already at 50db is quite frankly INSANE nor should I decrease any clock frequency, how you people stomach being ripped off is beyond me.

I just hope my request for refund goes smooth.

fugu_fish
12-09-07, 06:22 AM
Hey guys,

I just picked up one of these bad boys on Thursday night and I can't even get 10mins of Gears of Wars without it doing this, followed by hardware locking;

http://users.tpg.com.au/dancorp/nx8800.jpg

I have an Asus A8RMVP Deluxe motherboard, this is not a PCI Express 2.0 board.
A64 Socket 939 3700+ single core San Diego
A Lian Li PC-70 Full server Case (Ambient room temp is 24degrees)
2 x 1 gig OCZ Plat DDR
Creative X-fi Music Extreme
Antec NeoHE 500 PSU
1 x MSI NX8800GT-T2D12E-OC
RAID 0 2x Seagate 300gig 7200.9
Windows XP Pro 32 bit with 162.09 Forceware Driver

Any ideas as to what could be responsible, I havn't modified the card in any way and I don't want to spend extra dollars on an after market cooler.

I am confused about the power requirements the Box says I need a minimum of 400W with a minimum of 12V current rating of 26A whereas my PSU says it's 3 +12V output circuits max load 23A on the 3.3 and 17A on the 12V1

I have 5 modular plus for the unit how do I know which ones are the 12V ones or does it auto switch accordingly?

As is stands now I plan to return the card for my money back and probably pickup a GTS instead.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dan

Unfortunately, a common occurence with the 8800GT. You can use Rivatuner to crank up your fan speed but most likely it is bad memory. Try downclocking the memory to 1800MHZ and if that fixes it, RMA....

I'm in the middle of RMA'ing my XFX 8800GT. Bought an eVGA KO and so far so good..

Greg
12-09-07, 07:06 AM
...This card should work out of the box without altering any setting that's why I paid an extra $40 for the privledge of having a guarenteed overclock....
You are absolutely right. I'm sure you will get a straight refund or RMA if needed. I was just trying to check if you had the same issue as me since you have the same model card. My issue was that the fan would not auto speed up, causing the gpu to overheat, artifact and crash games at around 95degC.

dannyhc
12-09-07, 07:55 PM
Got my money back minus the Credit card %2 fee

I will wait for the Geforce 9 series before I upgrade thanks to all those who helped with my issue.