PDA

View Full Version : Help! DVI to HDMI kill my 8800 GTS?

Pages : [1] 2

MowTin
12-08-07, 11:01 AM
Can an HDTV kill your video card?

I was loving having my PC connected to my Samsung 4665F LCD. Then one day I got the "no signal found." So I plugged it back into my PC LCD. A day later the signal dropped on my PC LCD.

Symptoms: I reboot and sometimes I'll get an image for a few minutes but then it goes black.

It feels like my card is going into stand by mode randomly and then not recovering. But I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

XDanger
12-08-07, 11:26 AM
are you using dual view with separate resolutions and refresh rates?

Or single view and swapping?

MowTin
12-08-07, 11:43 AM
are you using dual view with separate resolutions and refresh rates?

Or single view and swapping?

I was using single view and swaping.

XDanger
12-08-07, 12:18 PM
then wrong refresh (i think)

why not dual , use dual.

Or do you need both ports for the TV's??

F8 into safe mode if you cant get to windows to correct the refresh.

Hmmm maybe that wont work , the refresh rate of your TV ,is it 100hz with the computer? or 60, (1080p thats a nice TV btw).

I cant even remember if refresh rates affect LCD's ,I tried one and didnt like it.

MowTin
12-08-07, 04:17 PM
then wrong refresh (i think)

why not dual , use dual.

Or do you need both ports for the TV's??

F8 into safe mode if you cant get to windows to correct the refresh.

Hmmm maybe that wont work , the refresh rate of your TV ,is it 100hz with the computer? or 60, (1080p thats a nice TV btw).

I cant even remember if refresh rates affect LCD's ,I tried one and didnt like it.

My TV's refresh rate is 60Hz same as my monitor Samsung 22BW.

The PC speakers for my case are messed up and that has been a pain in my side for the longest. I don't hear beeps. If the mobo beaps I won't hear it.

I think I spoke too soon. When the monitor goes out ALT+CTRL+DEL does nothing. The fans are still turning. The keyboard is still lit but the mouse (usb) is out.

I just tried again a few minutes ago. It ran for a while then stopped.

If I reboot right away it usually activate the monitor.

But I've never had any problem like this until I hooked it up to my TV. I wonder if it's more than a coincidence.

XDanger
12-08-07, 05:44 PM
can you try Dual?

could it be a TV firmware issue

I doubt the TV is hurting your pc ,its kind of a one way street mostly

agentkay
12-08-07, 09:28 PM
Actually I've had some strange issues when I tried to connect a HDTV (via DVI-HDMI) and a PC monitor at the SAME time. There were some driver setting related problems and at times (after some changes) I lost the signal and I had to connect my PC monitor to the primary DVI (the one of the mainboard side) boot into the O.S. uninstall the driver and turn it off and reinstall it with the HDTV connected to the PC (on the primary DVI).

Since it was such a pain I just switch off my PC, and change the DVI plugs and then just start the PC and basically run single display all the time. It takes a few extra seconds but so much less problems, the desktops have their own resolutions, no scaling or stretching (since both displays have different resolutions but shared the same desktop), and I have less trouble installing new drivers.

Another thing I recommend, never pull out the DVI plugs while the PC or display is running. It will basically hang the system and I guess seeing these small sparks indicate that it is probably the healthiest thing for the hardware either. You probably didn't do that but just a reminder. :)

One last idea I just had. Is it possible that you have enabled the power saving feature which turns off the power to the display (sleep mode). I wouldn't surprised if there are displays or HDTVs that don't fully support this kind of feature so I would recommend to turn it off.

MowTin
12-10-07, 10:17 PM
Well, yesterday my video card worked fine all night. Today it only showed the bootup screen and never turned on again.

I confirmed the OS is still working while the screen is black. If the card lost power I think the OS would crash, right?

I have an EVGA but I didn't register it within the 30 days. I bought it around December 15th last year so I just have a few days to RMA I think.

I thought registration was only for the step up program. :( (I never register anything or get those mail in rebates cuz I'm too lazy to mail anything)

LORD-eX-Bu
12-10-07, 10:27 PM
contact evga and get an RMA number immediately then otherwise you're screwwed :lol:

Armed_Baboon
12-10-07, 11:55 PM
try this... I had the same kind of problem and it worked for me:

(I was skeptical at first)

plug in pc to LCD monitor via dvi.

turn on pc.

wait for "no signal"

turn off PC

unplug pc power cord and monitor power cord (physically unplug)

remove dvi cable from both ends (pc & monitor)

plug dvi cable back in (pc & monitor)

plug in pc & monitor power cable and turn on.

MowTin
12-11-07, 01:56 AM

turn on pc.

wait for "no signal"

turn off PC

I'll give this a try tomorrow but I'll still RMA it even if it works because I'm almost out of warranty.

Did this method actually fix a problem you were having?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-11-07, 01:59 AM
before my 1900xtx died I would lose the signal over dvi, then it went out completely and I had no choice :lol:

XDanger
12-11-07, 02:36 PM
Is there a reason to use DVI instead of a HDMI-HDMI cable? (new tv coming soon)

LORD-eX-Bu
12-11-07, 02:50 PM
unless your card has a HDMI port you're stuck using a DVI-HDMI cable.

einstein_314
12-11-07, 03:40 PM
Is there a reason to use DVI instead of a HDMI-HDMI cable? (new tv coming soon)
No, HDMI is DVI with audio as well....but unless you get a video card with an HDMI port on it you'll need a DVI-HDMI adaptor or a DVI-HDMI cable (that's what I have)

XDanger
12-11-07, 06:18 PM
I thought HDMI was the big one, oh ok ,
My GT came with the dongle for the little one

MowTin
12-11-07, 11:57 PM

turn on pc.

wait for "no signal"

turn off PC

I thought it worked. I booted up and was typing a message in this thread when it died on me :D

Lucky I bought this 12/19/2006 so I'm still a few days under warranty. I'm just waiting for EVGA to send me my RMA Number.

If they send me a good replacement I'll just Ebay it and buy a 8800 GT.

I'm thinking if my TV didn't kill the card then maybe it's because it's the first time I've used the dual DVI and maybe there was something wrong with the other DVI port that caused some damage to the card.

I was using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

The other thought is that the hdmi handshake broke my GTS. I don't know if that's possible.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-12-07, 12:02 AM
sometimes cards just crap out, I've had a couple die for no apparent reason.

jcrox
12-12-07, 12:08 AM
Lucky I bought this 12/19/2006 so I'm still a few days under warranty. I'm just waiting for EVGA to send me my RMA Number.

EVGA 8800 GTS cards have a life time warranty dont they?

LORD-eX-Bu
12-12-07, 12:32 AM
if you don't register them within 30 days of purchasing it then it goes to a 1-year warranty instead :)

MowTin
12-12-07, 01:01 AM
EVGA 8800 GTS cards have a life time warranty dont they?

Only if you register within 30 days of your purchase. I just registered today about 11 months later. It was painless. No mailing, no postage, just went to their website. *SIGH* I wish I did that when I first got the card--lesson learned. A lifetime warranty would really sound good about now.

I'm just lucky it didn't die in January. I'd be SOL.

Armed_Baboon
12-12-07, 06:06 PM
I thought it worked. I booted up and was typing a message in this thread when it died on me :D

If they send me a good replacement I'll just Ebay it and buy a 8800 GT.

I'm thinking if my TV didn't kill the card then maybe it's because it's the first time I've used the dual DVI and maybe there was something wrong with the other DVI port that caused some damage to the card.

I was using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

The other thought is that the hdmi handshake broke my GTS. I don't know if that's possible.

it's strange how this seems to work, even if it was only temporary for you. I had the problem where the post screen would appear, it would start booting into windows, but as soon as the desktop appears (or should appear) I got "no signal". I performed the above fix and have not had a problem since.

best for you to RMA your card though :)

MowTin
12-20-07, 10:20 PM
Well, I just got the RMA and I have the same problem. I guess now I know it's NOT the video card.

How can I test the motherboard and the power supply? What else could it be?

I swapped out the memory.

dxx
12-21-07, 05:41 PM
Return the card if you like, but you should really attempt more troubleshooting than that of "Oh, plugged cable in, doesn't work now, will have to get new card".

Think in terms of events. What could have happened when you pushed the cable in? It could have, potentially, damaged the card. Maybe caused a damaging electrical spike, perhaps. But as well as that, when the cable was pushed into place, force was excerted upon the card that can only have been resisted by the little screw holding the card in place (which is often a bit loose), and the PCI-E port. Personally, I'd try pulling the card out and firmly pushing it back in before replacing it, since the problems could well be down to poor contact.

MowTin
12-22-07, 01:14 AM
I'd try pulling the card out and firmly pushing it back in before replacing it, since the problems could well be down to poor contact.

I tried that. It looks firmly seated. I even turned it on its side so gravity is helping to seat it.

Today I bought a power supply from Best Buy. SAME PROBLEM (throwpc)

1. Unplugged all USB's
2. Swapped memory
3. Swapped Video Cards
4. Swapped Power Supply
5. Tried different power outlets

It has to be the mobo right?