PDA

View Full Version : Scaling in XP, will nvidia ever fix it?

Pages : [1] 2

Shocky
12-08-07, 10:45 AM
As title, scaling in XP was broken almost from launch, there is a workaround for some with the overscan fix but this doesnt work for me

Now, it works in vista, and on the original launch drivers in XP and after that it's broken. Will they ever fix it?

Using 8800GTX btw.

VoodooNinja
12-08-07, 01:10 PM
I just recently swicthed to a 22" LCD after owning a 19" Trinitron for 5 years. I didn't think I would have to deal with scaling issues. I hate having to restart the computer everytime a specific video or program disables the overscan fix. I hope they come up with a fix too.

El1iP3S01D
12-09-07, 03:19 AM
Shocky and Voodoo, can you confirm this?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93067

Shocky
12-09-07, 07:33 AM
Shocky and Voodoo, can you confirm this?

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93067

Not sure exactly what you want tme to confirm, I don't have a problem with custom resolutions and timings as far as I know, how does that effect scaling options not working?

El1iP3S01D
12-09-07, 11:09 AM
Shocky, how do i create custom timing for the resolution of 1920x1080i at 30mhz?:afro:

Shocky
12-09-07, 01:06 PM
Shocky, how do i create custom timing for the resolution of 1920x1080i at 30mhz?:afro:

Why on earth would I want to do that? Thats what my TV's for ! :p

How does it effect scaling?

jeffmd
12-09-07, 02:40 PM
scaling issue? what are you talking about?

Shocky
12-09-07, 04:26 PM
scaling issue? what are you talking about?

Theres a menu in your control panel called "Change flat panel scaling"

If you havent caught on yet, it doesnt work properly under XP for allot of users.

Osamar
12-10-07, 03:29 AM
I know of problems with VGA, but with DVI I do not know of any.

Shocky, what conection do you use?

Shocky
12-10-07, 03:45 AM

DVI, 2407WFP. Scaling even worked fine with my previous cards and with 8800GTX original release driver then nvidia broke it and it's been this way for over a year now.

HiCZoK4
12-12-07, 12:00 PM
i would love to use 1:1 in xp ....

Stevedroid
12-12-07, 12:41 PM

Problems with VGA? Scaling doesn't apply to VGA, AFAIK you can't even enable it.

It's been pretty well established that scaling has been troublesome in XP for quite some time. IIRC the 96.xx series driver was the last time it worked properly.

Shocky
12-14-07, 08:48 AM
Doesnt really look good for nvidias driver team when they leave bugs like this unfixed for over a year. :thumbdwn:

DHP
12-14-07, 12:51 PM
The 169.21 drivers fixed my flat panel scaling issues. If I make a cusom (1680x1050) reso and use flat panel scaling it works again. :cool:

Bman212121
12-14-07, 02:29 PM
DVI, 2407WFP. Scaling even worked fine with my previous cards and with 8800GTX original release driver then nvidia broke it and it's been this way for over a year now.

What doesn't work with it? I'm not seeing issues when switching display modes.

Shocky
12-14-07, 02:41 PM
What doesn't work with it? I'm not seeing issues when switching display modes.

Maybe because you monitor supports it independently, mine doesn’t so relies on software which doesn’t work, basically all that works is nvidia scaling which just stretches everything and monitor built in scaling which for obvious reasons is useless to me.

Now it worked previously on the 7900GTX/7950GX2 but not my 8800GTX, allot of users have reported issues with this in XP, also works in vista oddly enough.

SlieTheSecond
12-14-07, 03:52 PM
There is a way to get the scaling to work.

Shut of your computer, turn off your monitor. Let windows boot, once it is loaded. Turn on your monitor. Scaling should work.

Huge pain in the but though. Don't know why it works this way. You would think it would work right by now.

Bman212121
12-14-07, 07:02 PM
Maybe because you monitor supports it independently, mine doesn’t so relies on software which doesn’t work, basically all that works is nvidia scaling which just stretches everything and monitor built in scaling which for obvious reasons is useless to me.

Now it worked previously on the 7900GTX/7950GX2 but not my 8800GTX, allot of users have reported issues with this in XP, also works in vista oddly enough.

Am I missing something? You said here you have a 2407WFP http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1478316&postcount=10

I have a 2407WFP as well. I can use either Nvidia scaling or the built in scaling in the Dell monitor and I don't seen any overscan issues. Is your monitor just being silly for some reason?

Shocky
12-14-07, 07:46 PM
Am I missing something? You said here you have a 2407WFP http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1478316&postcount=10

I have a 2407WFP as well. I can use either Nvidia scaling or the built in scaling in the Dell monitor and I don't seen any overscan issues. Is your monitor just being silly for some reason?

There are many different revisions of the 2407WFP, A01, A02, A03, A04, HC etc, early revisions only support scaling upto 1280*1024 via hardware.

No this is not a hardware issue, this works in vista and worked on previous cards with the same monitor and with the original release drivers for the 8800GTX, it's driver related.

Bman212121
12-14-07, 11:57 PM
There are many different revisions of the 2407WFP, A01, A02, A03, A04, HC etc, early revisions only support scaling upto 1280*1024 via hardware.

No this is not a hardware issue, this works in vista and worked on previous cards with the same monitor and with the original release drivers for the 8800GTX, it's driver related.

Hmm didn't know that. I think I finally figured out what you are talking about. If I'm trying to run a 4:3 resolution like 1024 x 768 I can't use the Nvidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio. It always defaults back to Nvidia scaling and it only stretches the image to fill the screen instead of adding the bars and not stretching the image.

maximillion
12-15-07, 12:26 AM
I think it's video bios related.

I know that 96.89 worked with any bios, but it wasn't only "fixed" for some bios when it was "fixed."

Shocky
12-15-07, 06:08 AM
I think it's video bios related.

I know that 96.89 worked with any bios, but it wasn't only "fixed" for some bios when it was "fixed."

Well if it worked with a previous driver that to me means it can be corrected with driver fix so it's driver related and they really should have fixed this by now.

vtnwesley
12-16-07, 03:20 AM
I'm on a Geforce 8600GT. I just became aware of this on-going drama, because I just recently got a new monitor. Everything is widescreen now. I have a few Qs regarding this. Maybe some of you can clue me in here.

1. When did this problem originate? I see posts online going back to early 2004. Just.... wow.

2. Are the Quadros effected too? My friend's recent Lenovo laptop with the Quadro equivalent of a Geforce 8600 mobile does not appear to suffer from this issue. Unfortunately, every system I have (all on Geforce 79xx/86xx) have this same issue.

2a. Do desktop Quadros even exist anymore? I haven't really seen any around.

2b. I got the XFX Geforce 8600GT specifically because it had a Zalman on it. Do any Quadros feature fans that will last longer than 3 months, unlike most retail units?

3. Has Nvidia made any public statements or even acknowledgement regarding these issues? It's been so long, you'd think if they refuse to fix it, they would just remove the option in the next driver update. At least we'd all stop getting our hopes up.

I've read through hours of posts regarding this issue, and I see no reliable "not-wives-tale" fixes. After all, if there were a REAL fix, we all wouldn't still be whining about it. Is returning this card over this worth it? I've been hit hard over the yrs by faulty computer junk, and its only getting worse. I don't really approve of this. I'm either stuck on Intel or Nvidia integrated graphics forever...

or I could buy ATI to avoid driver problems... pfft, yeah right. Just a joke. (nana2)

Thanks for any info you can provide for me.

SH0DAN
12-16-07, 04:46 PM
If it wasnt for the **** support from ATI's OEM partners,I'd hop on the train ASAP.

Dual screens work with Cross fire enabled all-the-time....unlike with SLI...

SlieTheSecond
12-16-07, 07:17 PM
I've read through hours of posts regarding this issue, and I see no reliable "not-wives-tale" fixes.

Read my post above
Boot the computer with your monitor off, then turn it on once windows has fully loaded. Scaling should then work. (And ya, I have done this)