PDA

View Full Version : Are we ever gonna get back the "Manage custom resolutions" option

Gregor976
12-08-07, 11:05 AM
That is one feature that I sorely miss in Vista 64.

bacon12
12-08-07, 08:06 PM
Me too, and I don't think it is a priority for the devs.

turdhat
12-20-07, 12:11 PM
That one feature missing is what has me avoiding vista for now.

Gregor976
12-20-07, 12:45 PM
It is on their "list of things to do" in the release notes.

I just use rivatuner now. It's easier than the tool in the drivers was anyway.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104285

bacon12
12-20-07, 01:01 PM
Greg I still can't get my native res for my hdtv with rivatuner. :(

Gregor976
12-20-07, 04:56 PM
Which res/refresh rate are you wanting?

bacon12
12-20-07, 05:19 PM
1366@60

Gregor976
12-20-07, 09:11 PM
I seem to have no problem adding 1366x768 60Hz. My monitor is capable of that res.

Are you hooked to the TV when trying to add this res? What model monitor do use normally. What model is your HDTV?

bacon12
12-21-07, 07:45 PM
Crap, sorry I meant 1360x768. It's a Toshiba, 23HLV87 and I use it in my bedroom so it stays connected to my media box, and direct tv hd tuner.

I can get it in XP and even in Linux with a little hacking, but not Vista.

I haven't been using riva tuner long, but I think I am going about it right. Xp has it in the nvidia cp so I can get it from there.

Gregor976
12-21-07, 08:04 PM
I copied my previous description from another res/refresh thread:
-------------------
To add a resolution/refresh rate that you've used before and know that your system is capable of just install the newest rivatuner "2.06 presently".

Get it at:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Install it, open it to the main page "first tab".
Look for the "Driver settings" section and "ForceWare detected" click on "Customize".

That will open a choice box with 5 icons. Look for the 4th one over that looks like a little monitor with a green plus, when you mouse over it, it says "Custom display modes/refresh rates wizard".

Put in the width, height, select custom ratio if it's not exactly 4:3, 5:4 or 16:9. Select the bit depth. I usually just leave all 3 checked.

Click the "Standard" button. This will give you the available refresh rates for your resolution. Only leave the refresh rate that you want to use. That way if you game at that resolution it will always default to the refresh rate that you left available, so no more 60Hz refresh rate problem. "Take that DX10 Bioshock".

The only thing left to do is click "Add" at the bottom, close rivatuner and reboot. Your favorite resolution/refresh rate will be there to select. "If you change drivers you'll have to do this again".
---------------------------------

If that doesn't work please tell me what refreshrates appear when you click "Standard" after you put in the res. Should show 60 or 59 I would guess.

bacon12
12-21-07, 08:14 PM
Thanks I will try it next time I boot Vista and let you know how I get on. I hope it works as I didn't spend a lot of time on it and riva tuner didn't recognize the display like it should have.

I contacted toshiba when setting up the myth (linux) box and they said there was no EDID for that model. Thanks for the advice again, and I will post back results.