PDA

View Full Version : Random lock-ups on Asus 8800 Ultra

Pages : [1] 2 3

jay8378
12-09-07, 12:52 PM
Hello, I just installed a Asus 8800 ultra in my system. Now i am experiencing random lockups in Ubuntu gutsy64 and Vista64. So it seems it may be bios of hardware related. I did not get these before when I had dual evga 7600gt's. They aren't too often but when it does happen i have to hard reset.

My psu is a Ultra X connect VS 700 watt

my sys specs:
audigy2 ZS
AMD X2 6000+
4 modules of 1 gig DDR2-800 ram
2 Sata 7200rpm drives in raid
1 80gb IDE drive
1 Dvd-rw combo drive

GeniusPr0
12-09-07, 02:29 PM
ill take a guess and say its psu related

jay8378
12-09-07, 02:45 PM
Hmm, what would be the best way i could test it, aside from replacing it. I just spent $550 on this ultra i cant really afford to buy another psu just yet.

Niot
12-09-07, 03:10 PM
My guess is that you shouldn't have purchased ASUS. We all have to learn from experience.

jay8378
12-09-07, 11:35 PM
Really? Asus is also the maker of my motherboard and it has been a great mother board. So have all the other Asus motherboards i've worked with in the past.

edit: I have played crysis at full graphics with no lock ups at all. Now that i think of it I'm not sure if it locks up while using the system on vista or not. I know it locks up with hellgate:london and mythos but they use the same engine and are known to be buggy. I will have to use windows for NOT gaming a bit more to see if it locks up.

sammy sung
12-10-07, 12:43 AM
My guess is that you shouldn't have purchased ASUS. We all have to learn from experience.

Tard :rolleyes:

Madpistol
12-10-07, 08:50 AM

Have you ever heard of the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all"? ;)

Vasot02
12-11-07, 12:46 PM

Wisdom speaks...:rolleyes:

Strange because my Asus 8800 Ultra works just fine
I must be the luckiest person in the world

jay8378
12-21-07, 06:04 PM
Wisdom speaks...:rolleyes:

This is good to know. I was playing a game tonight, vanguard(cause its free atm :P) and the system locked. There was a high pitched squeal coming from the speakers I believe. The very same thing happened a few min. earlier while playing Hellgate:London. The squeal does not happen in Linux, Just the lock.

Now i remembered a few days ago that i bent a IDE pin while installing the 8800. I had to move the hard drives cause this thing is a monster. I bent it back but it wasn't exactly straight. Maybe this could be the cause? I could use another SATA drive any ways.

TheBigOne
12-21-07, 06:35 PM
This is good to know. I was playing a game tonight, vanguard(cause its free atm :P) and the system locked. There was a high pitched squeal coming from the speakers I believe. The very same thing happened a few min. earlier while playing Hellgate:London. The squeal does not happen in Linux, Just the lock. .
That sound like a ram problem, could be the Psu the only way you will know take a voltage meter to it see if the voltage drop any. But my gress would be the ram is bad seen this pronblem before. Check event veiwer log sure see some errors.

daforce
12-21-07, 06:39 PM
Check in the windows event log, it could be a HDD dying that is locking up the PCI bus which is turn locks up the sound and video and causes the squeal.. had a similar problem myself.
The event log "might" give you some clues.

Crow_Nest
12-21-07, 09:09 PM
I just got a 8800GT 2 days ago, and i kept getting BSODs in crysis and COD4 locks up on me. The BSOD also mentions something about having to update my mobo BIOS. Resetting my CPU and RAM speeds back to default it seemed to stop crashing. So theres a chance that my PSU couldnt handle the power coming from the 8800GT and at the same time from my overclocked CPU.

If you have anything overclocked, try resetting them to default first and see if the lock ups still occur.

jay8378
12-21-07, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!! I am running a remote tail via ssh on 3 log files right now waiting for a crash.

I booted up into a live cd to night to see if it was my IDE hd. The IDE drive was not mounted but it still locked up. So i don't think this is the problem. I didn't have it Unhooked physically though. I am going to get rid of my IDE drive and just use the SATA drives. This should free up a little strain on the ol' psu. Plus weed out the IDE bent cable theory.

I will also run memory test on it tonight while i sleep. I have no over clocked components.

But like i said this didn't happen till i put the 8800 in. My dual 7600gt's ran fine.
the only difference is that i bent that IDE pin, moved my hard drives around and of course the power hog 8800 is in there.

thanks again :)

yehuda
12-21-07, 11:05 PM
First thing I would try is another clean install of the nvidia drivers, maybe another version too.
Sometimes when the system hangs when listening to music/playing games etc you'll hear that sound from the speakers, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Other then that, maybe heat or even a bad card. Can you try it on another system?

3DBrad
12-22-07, 07:02 AM
Asus makes the best motherboards! :)

Not sure about their GPUs, only used MSI and eVGA. :)

But, I'm thinking it's the PSU. I have an Athena 550w PSU if you want to try it.

It's ran a 7950gx2, 7900gtx, 7800gtx, an 3800x2 OCd and a Core 2 Duo all without issue. ;)

I'll sell it to you for cheap or trade something for it. The only reason I bought my new power supply was because it was modular, and my computer case looks like spaghetti. :)

Feyy
12-22-07, 07:58 AM
that psu only has a single 12v with 40A, sounds weak to me. Try a different PSU, perhaps from a friend and see if runs without lockups.

jay8378
12-22-07, 11:19 AM
Ok I got rid of that IDE drive and installed windows on SATA1. The system actually shuts down!!!! Windows Vista has never shut down this system b4. I always had to hold the power button down. So vista is fresh and everything else is too.

Any ways I haven't had a lock up yet, knock on wood. I found that Asus finally released a Pc Probe 2 for vista 64bit. The 12v reads 11.78-11.84 is this normal for pc probe to report this?

Thanks for the offer on the Power supply but I've got a few lower wattage psu's here i can interchange. I just figured this being my higher one would be the best. I have a new 600 watt(gonna be a xmas present if their current psu is bad.) and another ultra 550w modular in my server. I haven't checked the rails on them.

I hope that drive was the problem. I wanna get my game on.

Thanks everyone.

Niot
12-22-07, 03:40 PM
Tard :rolleyes:

Wisdom speaks...

Morons, bunch of mindless drones that can't get a simple concept correct. Perfect bugs for Asus to exploit.

Pitiful and pathetic. Pure arrogance, the worst quality that a guy can have is the tendency to think and insist that they are right when they are in the wrong.

Take a hard look at yourselves in the mirror and you will be appalled to find that you are the exact the same as the BOSE fans that rolls eyes at people with some intelligence.

Oh, and since you started this flame war, don't try to call my reply "disproportional", you got to dictate when to start the flaming, you don't get to dictate what I respond in my own defense. Don't take that manipulative ACLU style "disproportional response" and "inappropriate taboo words" at me.

Have you ever heard of the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all"?
So is a lie better? "Excellent choice buying Asus" so he will keep being scammed by Asus until he finally figures it out?

jay8378
12-22-07, 07:17 PM
Morons, bunch of mindless drones that can't get a simple concept correct. Perfect bugs for Asus to exploit.

Pitiful and pathetic. Pure arrogance, the worst quality that a guy can have is the tendency to think and insist that they are right when they are in the wrong.

Take a hard look at yourselves in the mirror and you will be appalled to find that you are the exact the same as the BOSE fans that rolls eyes at people with some intelligence.

Oh, and since you started this flame war, don't try to call my reply "disproportional", you got to dictate when to start the flaming, you don't get to dictate what I respond in my own defense. Don't take that manipulative ACLU style "disproportional response" and "inappropriate taboo words" at me.

So is a lie better? "Excellent choice buying Asus" so he will keep being scammed by Asus until he finally figures it out?

Hey man I came here asking for help not for your useless troll posts. Please Leave this thread to people that want to help me, If its the Asus brand then fine Ill know not to buy from them again. I really don't need you rubbing it in if I did get ripped. But some body said he has no problems and has a card just like mine. This says not all Asus cards are bad, just mine maybe. Posts like this ensues arguments and are non constructive.
Thank you.

Any ways, I had the lock up again after the format so it was not the drive :( I am going to hook up a pci PC diagnostic card to it and watch the behaviour in the system. Its really hard to trouble shoot because the lock-ups are so random.

Niot
12-22-07, 07:26 PM
Hey man I came here asking for help not for your useless troll posts. Please Leave this thread to people that want to help me, If its the Asus brand then fine Ill know not to buy from them again. I really don't need you rubbing it in if I did get ripped. But some body said he has no problems and has a card just like mine. This says not all Asus cards are bad, just mine maybe. Posts like this ensues arguments and are non constructive.
Thank you.

Any ways, I had the lock up again after the format so it was not the drive :( I am going to hook up a pci PC diagnostic card to it and watch the behaviour in the system. Its really hard to trouble shoot because the lock-ups are so random.
I didn't argue against them, if you check the record I got many rolleyes coming at me first.

What I was warning you is not to buy another ASUS again, because their products tend to break down really fast with overheating/lockups (just like you are experiencing).

Not all Asus units are bad. They often cheat by hand picking their units to send to the reviewers.

If you RMA yours maybe you can get one of the good ones, but in my experience their RMA takes a long time.

If that's trolling then I guess you don't like warnings. I understand that it is very painful to see such an expensive product going bad, but fact is fact. I had been scammed by ASUS 3 times before I figured out. If you don't believe me you might want to search on Google about this.

varrius
12-22-07, 07:45 PM
Is the card factory overclocked? If so, try lowering it to stock settings using Rivatuner. It doesn't look like your PSU.

Niot
12-22-07, 07:55 PM
Is the card factory overclocked? If so, try lowering it to stock settings using Rivatuner. It doesn't look like your PSU.
I don't think that is a good option because if he payed for an OC card he should get an OC card.

Since he just installed it, if he just bought it doesn't the store have a DOA guarantee that he can just swap it?

jay8378
12-22-07, 09:39 PM
No its standard clocked to my knowledge. I just rearranged my modular arrangement. Figured it was worth a try. I also noticed my atx connector came out real easy while checking my mod connections. Like i didn't get it back in all that way when i installed the card. /crosses_fingers.

The PC diagnostics pci card didn't tell me crap like it always does :/ Its use seems very limited.

TheBigOne
12-22-07, 10:46 PM
I just noticed that you are using 4 modules of 1 gig DDR2-800 ram, what do you have your timing set at? if you are using 4gb and the timing are 4-4-4-15set them at 4-5-5-18 if you go over 2gb you timing do have to be set you timing higher or you system will give you strange errors, the problem is you won't think it the ram because it will pass memtest86 but it is the ram. set you timings higher and see if your problem goes away, if it does it you timings.
that why if you buy 2gb kit the timming will be 4-4-4-15 but if you get 4gb kit they will sell it as 4-5-5-5-18, but it the same ram just that you have to set your timings higher due to higher latency.

jay8378
12-22-07, 11:16 PM
I just noticed that you are using 4 modules of 1 gig DDR2-800 ram, what do you have your timing set at? if you are using 4gb and the timing are 4-4-4-15set them at 4-5-5-18 if you go over 2gb you timing do have to be set you timing higher or you system will give you strange errors, the problem is you won't think it the ram because it will pass memtest86 but it is the ram. set you timings higher and see if your problem goes away, if it does it you timings.
that why if you buy 2gb kit the timming will be 4-4-4-15 but if you get 4gb kit they will sell it as 4-5-5-5-18, but it the same ram just that you have to set your timings higher due to higher latency.

Hmm thanks, ill look into that. Ive been letting the motherboard set the timing because i have SLI memory and I'm not too familiar with setting timings. Looks like you have my mobo model could you tell me where to do this? I have looked for something that looked like 4-5-5-18 before but didn't see anything.

I reseated the card, moved a sata to a different port(Because some cables looked like they were interfering with the old ports connection) and set default in the bios and ran my crash test(copying a 32gb folder from a backup would crash it every time) and the test passed!!!! Now Im installing Crysis. We will see...