PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification on fastest AGP card

Clevor
12-10-07, 06:07 PM
I quit overclocking around 2 years ago but still plan on keeping all my cherry cpus, ram, and MBs. I decided to get the last AGP cards and hoping I'm not too late. This is the impression I get from research the past two days:

The Radeon X1950 was probably the fastest AGP card made but the XT version was never made in AGP, so I'd have to settle for the Pro version. I believe it also has a superior FSAA system to any of the Nvidia AGP cards.

Guys are falling over themselves on Ebay for the Geforce 7950/512 MB AGP but it performs as fast at the 7800 GS in certain cases. Correct? Even though the 7800 GS uses 256 MB memory?

Where does the 7900 GS fit into all this? Wouldn't it be faster than the 7800 GS or is the memory not as good?

Was the Radeon X1900XT ever made in AGP? I hear good things about that card.

If I can still find the two, the Radeon X1950 Pro should get the nod over the Geforce 7950, particularly if I can get the 512 MB version.

Clevor
12-10-07, 06:08 PM
Wow, look at that ole system I was running in my sig!

jeffmd
12-10-07, 06:39 PM
dude.. just upgrade..your system. Any fast agp card you buy now, youll beable to get one thats twice as fast in PCIE for the same amount of money.

Feyy
12-10-07, 06:42 PM
dude.. just upgrade..your system. Any fast agp card you buy now, youll beable to get one thats twice as fast in PCIE for the same amount of money.

What he said, everything is so cheap atm, you would be quite stupid not to buy a whole new computer ;)

Clevor
12-10-07, 08:17 PM
I guess I need to make it clearer: I'm not into gaming with current games. I intend to keep my AGP boards and one day go back to overclocking my ole cherry CPUs. Doesn't matter whether it's my 600E PentiumIII that does 1050 mhz or my 2.40C that does 300+ fsb. A great overclock is a great overclock. So I would like to get the fastest AGP card that was made. The last cards I had was the 6800GT and an ATI X800XT. So at least the cards I mentioned above should give me better benchmarks to look at.

TheTaz
12-10-07, 11:12 PM
The Gecube Radeon X1950XT is currently the fastest AGP card available (if you can find one), but they aren't cheap. Yes, it's an XT (R580).

However, there are rumors of a Radeon 38xx card possibly being made for AGP soon.

EDIT: Just did some quick checking... the only place I could find them was on the German Ebay site (5 for sale). I don't think they ever were imported in the US.

Hope that helps,

-Taz