PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary/Trend-setting games of the last couple of years.

Pages : [1] 2

Capt. Picard
12-11-07, 06:27 AM
I were wondering what have been the computer games that have set the standard or trends for subsequent gaming developements.

For example: Counterstrike as a the online/LAN FPS of choice a couple of years ago and which basically popularized a whole host of following FPS. Or Far Cry and now Crysis that has set the standard for graphical quality. Or Age of Empires 2 a couple of years ago that also was immensely popular as a LAN game. Or Doom that was the first really successful 3D shooter. The list goes on ...

Thingding
12-11-07, 06:41 AM
Hmm this is harder than you think...

Fahrenheit revolutionised the adventure game but I don't see anyone following suit.

I remember Dawn of War was meant to change the way we played RTS's by doing away with resource gathering and that's been copied since but it's not really all that different.

And Supcom was meant to change the scale of games but people don't seem to be able to handle all the extra work.

So in other words I struggle to come up with genuine revolutions that have caught on. Which game came up with the whole "no more health packs in FPS's your health just goes back up" concept? Was it CoD2? That stopped me quicksaving so I regard it as a positive step.

Brothers In Arms was the first in with the super-simple-cover-system that we've seen aped in Republic Commando and Gears of War. Is that a trend?

Gonna waste my day at work thinking about this now... :o

Revs
12-11-07, 07:01 AM
I think Portal. Never played anything like it really. FPS puzzle game. Sooo much fun mi-hearties (lee)

crainger
12-11-07, 07:06 AM
GTA series. Probably more GTA 3. There have been a lot of clones. Some good like Saint's Row, some not so good, like True Crime.

nutcrackr
12-11-07, 07:28 AM
half life seemed to make most fps games after it have a use key of some kind, often times it was E too. (yes use was before half life, but it seemed more frequent after)

BF2 has been copied in various forms, or at least the ideas.

Thingding
12-11-07, 09:31 AM
In fact I'd go as far as to say that the FPS genre hasn't really changed since Half Life, just been tweaked.

Likewise are games like WiC really all that different to Command and Conquer? Or even Dune 2?

Bman212121
12-11-07, 10:07 AM
In fact I'd go as far as to say that the FPS genre hasn't really changed since Half Life, just been tweaked.

Likewise are games like WiC really all that different to Command and Conquer? Or even Dune 2?

WiC is way different than the average RTS game. It is round based with a very small number of units, and people can actually leave or join servers in the middle of a round. It is the first RTS I've played where you can actually have a dedicated server that everyone connects to.

delas52
12-11-07, 11:16 AM
So in other words I struggle to come up with genuine revolutions that have caught on. Which game came up with the whole "no more health packs in FPS's your health just goes back up" concept? Was it CoD2? That stopped me quicksaving so I regard it as a positive step.

I believe that (regenerating health) was Halo. Despite knowing that many people here aren't big fans of the series you have to admit that it did a lot for the gaming industry.

alitayyab
12-11-07, 01:30 PM
i remember playing Dune 2, and everyone has since aped that concept. some have improved on it, others have simply given theres a more glossy look with the same gameplay mechanics (which isnt necessarily a bad thing).

i remember playing castle wolfenstein (the original sharware version). Then came along Doom. Everyones been aping the concept (again not a bad thing)

for me, dune 2 and castle wolfenstein stand out as 2 games that launched new genre of gaming.

If u take out the terrible build a tile to build structures out of dune 2, i would still say it's probably the best rts i've played.

As for WiC, doesnt it work a lot like ground control???

3DBrad
12-11-07, 01:41 PM
The awesomeness that is Lost Planet. :D

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/techrelated/lpdx10.png

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/techrelated/furshader.png

LT.Schaffer
12-11-07, 01:43 PM
Operation Flashpoint[Large Scale Military Simulater]
Rainbow Six[First Real CQC tactical game]
Delta Force[Large Open Military Combat]

Just my 2 cents those are the games that had a big impact on FPS because they were about Gameplay not only graphics.:)
I know their not only a couple of years old but their impact is still felt in many of todays shooters...

LORD-eX-Bu
12-11-07, 02:03 PM
oh gosh I need to reinstall Lost Planet :D

3DBrad
12-11-07, 02:07 PM
Indeed. :D

SH64
12-11-07, 02:32 PM
- Op Flashpoint [Large Scale Military Simulater & Intellegent AI]
- Red Faction [Compleletey Distrutable environments & deformable terrain]
- Monkey island [Adventrue Gaming]
- Dune 2 [RTS]
- Alone In The Dark [Horror] .. to bad not much games could follow its path .. (maybe Nosferatu & Call of Cathulu at best)
- Omikron [Mix of FPS , Adventure & Beat'em up]
- Outcast [Voxel technology , Action Adventure] .. again no followers :(
- Half Life 1/2 [AI/Physics]
- Morrowind/Oblivion [vast landscapes & open-ending]
- Portal!

On a side note : The Crossing might be the next revolutionary game to mix SP with MP Online.

Severian126
12-11-07, 03:56 PM
I believe that (regenerating health) was Halo. Despite knowing that many people here aren't big fans of the series you have to admit that it did a lot for the gaming industry.

Yep it was Halo. I guess the hard-core PC FPS gamers are gonna cry "OMFG!!1one My gamez are consolizzed!". :P

LT.Schaffer
12-11-07, 04:19 PM
Also:
Tomb Raider
Myst
Serious Sam
BattleField 1942

crainger
12-11-07, 05:11 PM
Eh, I really didn't get into the whole Myst thing. I grew up with LucasArts adventures, Myst was too... Static for me. :(

SH64
12-11-07, 05:25 PM
Eh, I really didn't get into the whole Myst thing. I grew up with LucasArts adventures, Myst was too... Static for me. :(
Myst is more of a puzzle game. LA for Adv games.

XDanger
12-11-07, 05:33 PM
Metal Gear Solid, Not sure why ,But ...

ClosetFanBoy
12-11-07, 05:50 PM
The awesomeness that is Lost Planet. :D

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/techrelated/lpdx10.png

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/techrelated/furshader.png

That looks pretty freaking sweet. I keep forgetting about this game. Dx10?

crainger
12-11-07, 05:57 PM
Yep Dx10. :)

poullos
12-12-07, 12:38 AM
- Op Flashpoint [Large Scale Military Simulater & Intellegent AI]
- Red Faction [Compleletey Distrutable environments & deformable terrain]
- Monkey island [Adventrue Gaming]
- Dune 2 [RTS]
- Alone In The Dark [Horror] .. to bad not much games could follow its path .. (maybe Nosferatu & Call of Cathulu at best)
- Omikron [Mix of FPS , Adventure & Beat'em up]
- Outcast [Voxel technology , Action Adventure] .. again no followers :(
- Half Life 1/2 [AI/Physics]
- Morrowind/Oblivion [vast landscapes & open-ending]
- Portal!

On a side note : The Crossing might be the next revolutionary game to mix SP with MP Online.

I forgot all about The Crossing. Is it still in development? It looks interesting on papers.
May as well add upcoming Left 4 Dead, if the AI director succeeds.

P.S: class based MP fps was first used in Team Fortress. BF series evolved to the realistic concept of classes.

K007
12-12-07, 03:05 AM
loved the Lucast Arts game back then

Monkey Island
Full Throttle ><. Loved it. Replayed it soooooo many times lol..

This year..i would say probably Portals was the only game i really enjoyed..

I think HL1 did a great job of getting the mods out for the community..and CS was a hit, its crazy how things have changed from a simple mod to..to something really big now.

And yea i never got into that Myst thing either..static..images thing never did anything for me ><...not saying its a bad game, i just never gave it the chance to go back and try it.

First CnC game with the movies...wow those were good times. Loved the installation back then too. Not cheesy lame...pathetic..ones we have now /cry...i miss the old CnC installation :(.

Oh yeah..Crysis..:captnkill:

Thingding
12-12-07, 03:24 AM
We could go on all day about how much of a revolution Portal is but I don't see it that way.

Half Life 2 gave us proper integrated physics and the g-gun. Portal, though a fantastic game, is ultimately just another attempt to invent another gun that'll have the same impact. Can't see it catching on for anything bar Episode 3 and even then it'll have its limitations.

Codename Eagle.. now there was a revolution. Trespasser. Flashpoint. XCom. Need for Speed. Day of the Tentacle. Jet Set Willy!

But post 2004 I think the only real revolution has been Wii Sports.

poullos
12-12-07, 03:35 AM
What affected me:

Wonder Boy II(rpg?)
Wolfenstein(Wolf 3D)
Civilization
Delta Force
Age of Empires 2 & Red Alert 2
Counter Strike
Oblivion(first sort of rpg :p)

Generally speaking, most of these games did not re-invent the wheel but some of them touched something that pushed the gender forward.