PDA

View Full Version : Um... kinda' at a loss on what to do...

Pages : [1] 2

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:16 AM
Okay, I'm wanting to get a new video card. I love my GTS- but I want something with a little... "more". :p

I don't know what to get, so I'm seeking some input from ya'll. Here's the deal:

I'm game at 1680x1050, no higher. I do utilise AA, currently I utilise 4xAA in every game I play. I also utilise 16xAF, I always have GCAA enabled, and TMSAA enabled as well. Right now there aren't any games I cannot play at these settings with all in-game options set to "High" if not the highest settings. Framerates remain playable. The only two games to dip below 30fps at this settings are Oblivion and Crysis, and both just *barely* dip below 30fps. No joke. Well, in Crysis I'd be playing at 1280x800 keeping within my aspect ratio but it still remains playable. :p

So, I'm wanting a better video card. Here's the delimma- at these settings is the extra framebuffer and memory bandwidth my current GTS has enough to make a noticable increase in performance compared to say the 512MB GT or GTS? The GT only falls 128MB behind my GTS, while having 16 more stream processors. Furthermore the GT runs cooler and is single slot- something I'd really appreciate in my smaller tower.

Then again the new GTS is also only 128MB shy on the framebuffer while having 32 more stream processors. It is dual slot and hot running like my current GTS, but I do have an Eliminator on its way to cool my Opty.

So, in short, what should I get to replace my current GTS? The GTX and Ultra are out of the question, so don't mention 'em. :p Currently I'm not interested in SLi, either.

methimpikehoses
12-12-07, 01:18 AM
If you want AA and AF, and you want to play Crysis with eye candy, then wait for the D9E. If you don't play Crysis and you can sell your GTS for a decent return, go for the new GTS and OC the heck out of it. :D

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:21 AM
If you want AA and AF, and you want to play Crysis with eye candy, then wait for the D9E. If you don't play Crysis and you can sell your GTS for a decent return, go for the new GTS and OC the heck out of it. :D
Um, you didn't vote! :p

D9E is out of my Opty's league I bet, and out of my price range. Here's more to the story:

I'm building a computer for a friend and his family. It's specs (thus far)

DiscipleDOC's A64 x2 6000 and ASUS CrossHair mobo (stock cooler for CPU)
4GB Super Talent DDR2 800 RAM
Your OCZ 600watt PSU (yup, that 600watt PSU I bought off you methim)

I'm undecided on the hard drive(s) and the optical drives will be dual SATA Samsung DVD-burners. The ones on newegg that can do it all pretty much. :p Okay, so I'm upgrading my video card cause I want to give my current GTS to my friend (and yes, I do mean "give" as in this whole computer is a Christmas gift for him and his family). As such, I want something that can game as well or better than my current GTS at the settings I mentioned.

Hope that clears things up. ;)

methimpikehoses
12-12-07, 01:24 AM
Um, you didn't vote! :p

D9E is out of my Opty's league I bet, and out of my price range. Also, and I do have my reasons, I need to have this arrive before X-mas gets here. ;)

You could always step up later w/ evga when you finally get a Penryn... :bleh:

Then again you might already be CPU limited as it is... hard to say I guess.

New hardware is always fun to play with. :)

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:26 AM
You could always step up later w/ evga when you finally get a Penryn... :bleh:

Then again you might already be CPU limited as it is... hard to say I guess.

New hardware is always fun to play with. :)

Read my edit. :D And yes, I'm sticking with eVGA. But this computer needs to be assembled before X-mas, so I need to have my new video card before x-mas as well.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-12-07, 01:26 AM
stick with the GTS until a real upgrade is released by nvidia.

Saintster
12-12-07, 01:29 AM

This seems like the sensible thing to do. Well it will be more cost effective.

methimpikehoses
12-12-07, 01:31 AM
Read my edit. :D And yes, I'm sticking with eVGA. But this computer needs to be assembled before X-mas, so I need to have my new video card before x-mas as well.

Well if you are giving away your present card and are looking for a $$$ deal, get the 8800GT OC of whatever flavor. It's slightly faster than your present card and can be had for around 3 bills. I'm quite happy with mine, but I'm not very concerned with more than 2AA on most games right now (1920x1200).

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:33 AM
Well if you are giving away your present card and are looking for a $$$ deal, get the 8800GT OC of whatever flavor. It's slightly faster than your present card and can be had for around 3 bills. I'm quite happy with mine, but I'm not very concerned with more than 2AA on most games right now (1920x1200).

That's what I was thinking. Both the GT and new GTS kept up with the GTX in every game at 2560x1600 even with 4xAA untill you got to titles like Oblivion, they they just plummeted.

The eVGA 8800GTS (G92) includes Crysis, which is one reason I'm really leaning towards that card. Then again, the single slot GT sounds tempting as well.

Which of the two cards run cooler: the 512MB GT or GTS?

CaptNKILL
12-12-07, 01:35 AM
I agree.

There isn't anything significantly faster than the GTS currently.

The new GT, GTS are all faster but it seems kinda dumb to upgrade to a card with less memory.

Wait for a 768Mb or 1Gb card that is significantly faster than what you have now.

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:36 AM
I agree.

There isn't anything significantly faster than the GTS currently.

The new GT, GTS are all faster but it seems kinda dumb to upgrade to a card with less memory.

Wait for a 768Mb or 1Gb card that is significantly faster than what you have now.

I'm building a computer for a friend and his family. It's specs (thus far)

DiscipleDOC's A64 x2 6000 and ASUS CrossHair mobo (stock cooler for CPU)
4GB Super Talent DDR2 800 RAM
Your OCZ 600watt PSU (yup, that 600watt PSU I bought off you methim)

I'm undecided on the hard drive(s) and the optical drives will be dual SATA Samsung DVD-burners. The ones on newegg that can do it all pretty much. :p Okay, so I'm upgrading my video card cause I want to give my current GTS to my friend (and yes, I do mean "give" as in this whole computer is a Christmas gift for him and his family). As such, I want something that can game as well or better than my current GTS at the settings I mentioned.

Hope that clears things up. ;)

Okay, so if I wait for a new card to replace my current GTS- what card should I buy for my friend? Let's assume he games at the same settings I do.

methimpikehoses
12-12-07, 01:37 AM
That's what I was thinking. Both the GT and new GTS kept up with the GTX in every game at 2560x1600 even with 4xAA untill you got to titles like Oblivion, they they just plummeted.

The eVGA 8800GTS (G92) includes Crysis, which is one reason I'm really leaning towards that card. Then again, the single slot GT sounds tempting as well.

My GT never goes over 51C after replacing the factory thermal grease, and with plenty of airflow in my case. Fan at 40%.

Others around here and on the w3bz are saying it runs very hot... the GTS is supposedly cooler but I haven't seen numbers yet...

Ask MikeC... he just put up that new review!

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:40 AM
My GT never goes over 51C after replacing the factory thermal grease, and with plenty of airflow in my case. Fan at 40%.

Others around here and on the w3bz are saying it runs very hot... the GTS is supposedly cooler but I haven't seen numbers yet...

Ask MikeC... he just put up that new review!
Excellent idea. Ask him I shall. :D

LORD-eX-Bu
12-12-07, 01:41 AM
buy him a Radeon HD3870 or 3850, they are pretty damn cheap.

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:48 AM
buy him a Radeon HD3870 or 3850, they are pretty damn cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161211

You might have hit the nail on the head buddy. He is actually anti-ATi. And admitted nVidia fanboy. Oddly enough he's also and AMD fanboy... go figure. :lol:

Anyhow, he games on a 42" Vizio HD TV. So that DVI to HDMI adapter that is included with that card would be a *massive* plus for him. Furthermore, that card fully supporst 1920x1080- which is his TVs resolution.

I'm gonna' give this some thought- what do you guys think about this idea? HD3850 a plausible solution? In all honesty he *never* uses AA or AF. He just cranks up the resolution and all in-game settings for the most part then has at it. And the HD3k series is uber-fast without AA. Yeah, thank you dude... this might be the winning ticket. :D Any other thoughts on this idea?

stefan9
12-12-07, 04:18 AM
I would wait for the new 9 series cards. They are bound to release a really high end one and more affordable one. Just like they did with the 8800 gtx and 8800gts.

MUYA
12-12-07, 04:38 AM
Wait for that new card based on a next gen GPU such as G100!!!! U know thats the right thing to do! :D

nekrosoft13
12-12-07, 09:50 AM
since you have GTS now, i would just wait 1-2 months for the new card.

avirox
12-12-07, 10:16 AM
if you could sell your 640 and get at least 280 for it, then sell it and buy a GT if you really must. The GTS512 is faster than the GT512 but not by a significant enough margin. Otherwise, like others said, wait for a real upgrade. And really, there's nothing wrong with a single slot cooler and cards like the evga 8800GT SSC stand up to even the GTX

Redeemed
12-12-07, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the advice ya'll- but I have to buy a new video card if not for me then my buddy's rig. As I explained earlier this rig I'm building for him is a Christmas gift to him and his family.

I'm thinking of just getting him that HD3850. It is super cheap, performs exceptionally well without AA and AF and comes with a DVI to HDMI adapter which he'd love since he games on a 42" HD-TV. Think I'll make the purchase this Friday. :D

DiscipleDOC
12-12-07, 01:15 PM

I will have that card in a few short weeks....

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:19 PM
I will have that card in a few short weeks....
You mean the new GTS, right?

LycosV
12-12-07, 01:32 PM
I personally would keep your GTS and tell them to get a graphics card, you're already giving them a computer. :) If you're deadset on putting the card in there as well, I would go with the 3850 or 3870, they're cheaper than the 8800gt cards because of the price overrun and seem to work pretty good.

methimpikehoses
12-12-07, 01:34 PM
I personally would keep your GTS and tell them to get a graphics card, you're already giving them a computer. :) If you're deadset on putting the card in there as well, I would go with the 3850 or 3870, they're cheaper than the 8800gt cards because of the price overrun and seem to work pretty good.

^I changed my mind. Do this.

Redeemed
12-12-07, 01:41 PM
^I changed my mind. Do this.
Pfft! Typical female! :p

lol, I'm pretty much decided on getting him the 3850. He doesn't use AA or AF as I stated earlier. If anything he'll just crank the in-game settings all the way up and the 3850 compete with the 8800GT just fine if you don't use AA and AF. So that should work out perfectly for him. Also, he is using a 42" HD-TV so having that HDMI adapter is something he'd dig also.

Pricing it all, I can buy him the tower, case fans (SilenX 120MM), and 3850 for just a few more bones than the new GTS costs. :D Think I'm gonna' place the order this Friday. :D