PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Cooler on a BFG 8800GT

NeoLojik
12-12-07, 04:08 PM
Hey all,

I know replacing the cooler on my 8800GT would void the warranty in BFG's eyes (they told me as much), but has anyone ever done it then had to RMA the card in the future? Did you just put the stock cooler back on and send it off, did you have any problems?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has changed the cooler, even though the manufacturer prohibits it, then gone through the RMA process, but I'm especially interested in any BFG stories.

I'm just itching to put a Thermalright HR03 GT on my 8800GT, I'm not happy with the load temps with the default cooler.

Cheers

ATOJAR
12-13-07, 12:54 AM
I have this Zalman VF900-CU on(below)

Right now the card is at 44c(idle)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/fullyinstalled.jpg

hazindu
12-13-07, 08:09 AM
Overclock, mod, and deny is pretty common practice actually.

wysiwyg
12-13-07, 08:43 AM
something tels me the BFG is made by foxconn lol

Revs
12-13-07, 09:08 AM
I assume these are all the same under the sticker. I'm sure mine has Foxconn connectors.

NeoLojik
12-13-07, 09:13 AM
Yeah, weren't all the initial GT's made by Foxconn because nvidia shifted the launch forward. I forget who the other manufacturer was.

Back on topic though, so if it goes wrong, just stick the stock cooler back on and pretend you never touched it? Don't the thermal pads break when you remove the stock cooler? What about the goop on the GPU, just put some generic stuff on?

I'm just really edgy about killing a 10yr warranty on such an expensive item :P

mg1973
12-13-07, 06:01 PM
i took mine off but left all the pads on it incase i need to rma it and put it back on.

ATOJAR
12-13-07, 06:11 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102371

methimpikehoses
12-13-07, 06:13 PM
Hey all,

I know replacing the cooler on my 8800GT would void the warranty in BFG's eyes (they told me as much), but has anyone ever done it then had to RMA the card in the future? Did you just put the stock cooler back on and send it off, did you have any problems?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has changed the cooler, even though the manufacturer prohibits it, then gone through the RMA process, but I'm especially interested in any BFG stories.

I'm just itching to put a Thermalright HR03 GT on my 8800GT, I'm not happy with the load temps with the default cooler.

Cheers

My advice would be to clean up the factory paste first before getting a completely different cooling solution for the card.

Fathertime36
12-13-07, 09:40 PM
I have the ZF1000 idle 40 load (crysis) 49 tops, the reference hsf is about the cheapest pos I have ever seen a video card ship with, "eww $280-$320 super deal", big fricking deal don't forget to add the extra $40-$55 you need to spend in order to keep it running right.

wysiwyg
12-19-07, 10:21 AM
right

had to RMA my BFG OC2 GT as had lockups after ten min of play at OC2 memory unless unclocked it to 1800Mhz

before I RMA's it i used a Thermalright HR03 GT on it to see if it wasnt a heat issue

it wasnt. still locked up

but the stock cooler lifted of with the heatpads intact still on the stock cooler so i just screwed it back on before i sent it off for an RMA

the replacement i got back looks like the one i sent of as looks like the screws had been undone before

but "touch wood" this one seems ok without lockups and hope not speaking too soon and tempting fate

will again change the cooler despite what BFG say as the stock cooler is too noisy

NeoLojik
12-20-07, 05:29 AM
right

had to RMA my BFG OC2 GT as had lockups after ten min of play at OC2 memory unless unclocked it to 1800Mhz

before I RMA's it i used a Thermalright HR03 GT on it to see if it wasnt a heat issue

it wasnt. still locked up

but the stock cooler lifted of with the heatpads intact still on the stock cooler so i just screwed it back on before i sent it off for an RMA

the replacement i got back looks like the one i sent of as looks like the screws had been undone before

but "touch wood" this one seems ok without lockups and hope not speaking too soon and tempting fate

will again change the cooler despite what BFG say as the stock cooler is too noisyFirst, sorry for the problems you've had with your 8800GT :( I too hope your new card functions as it should.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, what you've told me is exactly what I was looking to hear, I'll most likely order a HR03 GT after Christmas :D

Thanks everyone who replied, have a great holiday!

JcFlys
12-21-07, 02:51 AM
I couldnt get that POS stock cooler off of my 8800 GT quick enough. That thing is pure junk. I was getting constant hard freezes playing COD4. My temps would easily run up to 71C under constant load. I put the Thermaltake DuOrb on and have loved the difference. I can play non-stop now with no hard freezes and it dropped my load temps by 20C. It dropped my Idle temps from 54C down to 40C. I have also been very happy with my overclock settings of 729/1836/999. There is no way I could of achieved those settings without modding the cooler.

Fathertime36
12-22-07, 12:52 AM
I couldnt get that POS stock cooler off of my 8800 GT quick enough. That thing is pure junk. I was getting constant hard freezes playing COD4. My temps would easily run up to 71C under constant load. I put the Thermaltake DuOrb on and have loved the difference. I can play non-stop now with no hard freezes and it dropped my load temps by 20C. It dropped my Idle temps from 54C down to 40C. I have also been very happy with my overclock settings of 729/1836/999. There is no way I could of achieved those settings without modding the cooler.

Agreed....I' am getting kind of suspicious of NVIDIA possibly having some kind of interest in the after market cooling market, you know something like being a silent partner to Zalman or other aftermarket hsf manufacture, the refference hsf is such an ungodly pos design it seems intentional, and you will notice the pcb came with many "optional" bracket holes.

Burnt_Ram
12-22-07, 10:30 AM
@ ATOJAR,

where did you get that Zalman VF900-CU and did it come with the ram sinks?

ATOJAR
12-22-07, 12:23 PM
I got the cooler from ebuyer, you get 8 memory heatsinks only, i had to buy the four on the far right hand side of the card from a electrical store.

Viventis
12-22-07, 12:47 PM
On my XFX 8800 GT OC, I was getting 94C and lockups with BF2142. I set the stock fan speed to 80% with Riva Tuner, and the max temps dropped to 72C and idle temps are now at 52C. The stock settings on the card kept the fan speed at 29%, regardless of temperatures. That was the problem in my case. I'll try this setup for a week or two before buying a Zalman.

Burnt_Ram
12-22-07, 01:36 PM
I got the cooler from ebuyer, you get 8 memory heatsinks only, i had to buy the four on the far right hand side of the card from a electrical store. ohok, thx.