PDA

View Full Version : NF7-s v2.0 and not identifying athlon xp 2000+ correctly...psu question as well

Tux
04-19-03, 03:20 AM
I just recieved my nf7-s v 2.0 board today and im having a problem. The bios detects my processor as an athlon xp 2000+ but the problem is that the bios reports it as this (fsb = 100 multiplyer 12.5) so this makes its run at 1.2ghz instead of 1.67ghz. The only way around this is to manually set it to run at 1.67 (fsb 133 multiplyer 12.5) I have no clue why this is happening. I was running a kg7-raid board and never had any problems like this. Could it be my psu? its only 300w. I know
that my ti 4200 calls for at least a 350w psu but i havent had any problems till i got this board. Any ideas?

Here is my setup:
NF7-S v. 2.0
Power supply 300w
amd athlon 2000+
512 crucial PC2100 ram
pny geforce 4 ti 4200 64mb card

SavagePaladin
04-19-03, 04:33 AM
It may involve a previous issue with the nforce2s that I don't recall the details of. you should be fine with manually setting the FSB and stuff.

saturnotaku
04-19-03, 08:13 AM
My NF7-S 1.2 did the same thing (detected my XP2400+ as only having a 100 fsb). I set it manually the first time and it worked perfectly. Of course, I'm OC'ing this badboy so it doesn't really matter now. :D Manually setting the speeds shouldn't be a cause of concern, unless of course you have to do this every time you boot your PC.

CaptNKILL
04-20-03, 09:38 AM
Did you set the FSB jumper (or switch) on the board? I dont know if the NF7-S has one, but every mobo ive ever seen has a switch on it. Of course, every mobo ive ever seen forced me to set the BUS speed in the BIOS the first time too.... so, I dont think you did anything wrong.

Tux
04-20-03, 01:18 PM
I have read about other boards having this jumper but i cant find it on my board. Be that as it may i do have two jumpers that are not labled on the board nor are they listed in my manual that came with this board. I have tried moving them around but i dont see any changes. Anyone know if the NF7-S revision 2.0 board has this jumper?

Originally posted by CaptNKILL
Did you set the FSB jumper (or switch) on the board? I dont know if the NF7-S has one, but every mobo ive ever seen has a switch on it. Of course, every mobo ive ever seen forced me to set the BUS speed in the BIOS the first time too.... so, I dont think you did anything wrong.

sonyman
04-20-03, 01:56 PM
I just built a system for a friend and we also had this problem. I had installed a Barton 2500+ that runs at 166FSB, but the motherboard by default was only running it at 100FSB. The solution was to simply manually raise the FSB in the BIOS. His board has a VIA KT300 chipset.

Scott

Tux
04-20-03, 03:08 PM
I tried that as well..if i set the fsb and multiplyer manually it still happens if i shut the computer compleatly down. Only way to bring it back running correctly is if i cut all power to the motherboard by the psu switch or surge protector etc... Its like the board doesnt care what the bios is telling it. It just wants to run at 100mhz fsb until i cut the power, or edit the bios then reboot. that works too.

Originally posted by sonyman
I just built a system for a friend and we also had this problem. I had installed a Barton 2500+ that runs at 166FSB, but the motherboard by default was only running it at 100FSB. The solution was to simply manually raise the FSB in the BIOS. His board has a VIA KT300 chipset.

Scott

Tux
04-23-03, 01:23 AM
Well i figured out the problem...i replaced my 300w psu with a new 430w psu. This solved the problem. What led me to do this was i ran win doctor and noticed my -5v and -12v power rails were extreamly low. So if anyone else has this problem and you are running a sub 400w psu try checking out your power rails. You might have a psu thats causing your board to be unstable.