PDA

View Full Version : An Internet Explorer Automatic Component Activation (IE ACA) update is available

Dragunov
12-13-07, 04:57 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945007

This is a preview of the update that will be available in April 2008.

If you don’t recall, in April 2006, we made a change to how Internet Explorer handled embedded controls used on some webpages. Some sites required users to “click to activate” before they could interact with the control. Microsoft has now licensed the technologies from Eolas Technologies inc, removing the “click to activate” requirement in Internet Explorer.

"This change will require no modifications to existing pages, and no new actions for developers creating new pages," LePage said in a post to Microsoft's IE blog. "We are simply reverting to the old behavior. Once Internet Explorer is updated, all pages that currently require 'click to activate' will no longer require the control to be activated. They'll just work."

Q
12-13-07, 07:36 AM
Wow, it only took Microsoft two and a half years to give IE7 the same functionality that IE6 had 6 years ago.

Well, its better than nothing, I guess.

Dragunov
12-13-07, 07:56 AM
Well, it was about licensing problems with Eolas Technologies

Rakeesh
12-13-07, 08:00 AM
Wow, it only took Microsoft two and a half years to give IE7 the same functionality that IE6 had 6 years ago.

Well, its better than nothing, I guess.

Microsoft had to do this by force. Some parent troll apparently had this for 4 years or so before IE even existed, and decided to wait until IE6 to decide to slap microsoft with it, suing them for some odd millions of dollars.

Personally I liked having to click the activate button, namely because you could avoid activex trash without having to f*ck with a dialog box each time.

Q
12-13-07, 08:27 AM
Microsoft had to do this by force. Some parent troll apparently had this for 4 years or so before IE even existed, and decided to wait until IE6 to decide to slap microsoft with it, suing them for some odd millions of dollars.

Personally I liked having to click the activate button, namely because you could avoid activex trash without having to f*ck with a dialog box each time.

Ah, I didn't read all the back story. Now that you mention it, I remember all the ruckus a few years back. I usually use Opera or Firefox, so I didn't even notice.

Dragunov
12-13-07, 09:33 AM

activex was also loaded ...