PDA

View Full Version : Most games are too long <rant>

Pages : [1] 2 3

Thingding
12-13-07, 09:03 AM
Okay I guess I'm a casual gamer.

I play maybe a few hours every other night and I usually keep two or three games "on the go". Lately new ones keep coming out so fast that I can't keep up. Know how many games I've got installed and "on the go" right now?... Nine!

With that in mind, I'm forced to cut my numbers and it's driving me nuts. So many good moments in gaming I'll never see because there's no time.

Stalker is too damn long. Hellgate is too damn long. THE ORANGE BOX is too ******* long! I even skipped the first game and went straight to Ep1 and I STILL haven't got to the tripod bit after what feels like DAYS of gameplay!

There are precious few exceptions in my eye. Crysis was too short and Gears of War could have done with some more maps. Bioshock was about right and Portal was tuned to perfection.

But the rest of you programmers out there: take note. Shorten your games! Quality not quantity!

Love to all,

T'ingding

poullos
12-13-07, 09:14 AM
I don't know why but I think a lot of dudes here will not agree with you.

CaptNKILL
12-13-07, 09:22 AM
I have the same problem with dozens (yes DOZENS) of games piling up, but I definitely do not think games are too long.

That's just nuts.

If you don't have time or just don't really feel like spending a solid 8 hours of your day playing a game for a week straight, there's really nothing you can do about that.

Some games do get played out quickly for me (like Bioshock), but thats just how it is. I'd rather that they make a decent length game the way they want than make a 4 hour game that still costs $60 and pisses everyone else off who actually wants to keep playing.

If you're finding that you have less time to spend on retail games, give independent games a shot:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104065

Other than TF2 and a couple other multiplayer games, I've been exclusively playing indy games for the past 2 months. I've got enough "big" stuff to deal with right now in real life, when I'm a bit more settled maybe I'll have more time to continue living a second life in The Witcher, Crysis, STALKER, Oblivion etc...

Revs
12-13-07, 09:24 AM
Hell no! You just need to play faster :D

I got PO with Stalker myself. Too hard for my liking. But you're missing out big time if you've skipped HL2. And the episodes are only 3-5 hrs each.

nekrosoft13
12-13-07, 09:25 AM
bad games are to long, good games are to short :|

CaptNKILL
12-13-07, 09:28 AM
I just realized that you said you skipped HL2 and went to episode 1.

Thats a terrible thing to do. I'd recommend quitting right now and playing from the beginning some day when you have time.

Play Portal.

Portal was a one sitting game for me. I sat and played it for like 4 hours and couldn't stop.

SH64
12-13-07, 09:59 AM
Bioshock is too damn long.

Thingding
12-13-07, 10:01 AM
Yeah I played HL2 back in the days when it came with a free headache.

I think of games like films. Schindler's List = too long
Thin Red Line = too long
Grease = too long (by about an hour and a half)

You see where I'm coming from?

Revs
12-13-07, 10:02 AM

Nope. Just right IMO. Now FEAR, that was far too long. Nekro's point rings true. A truely good game can't be too long. HL2 a good example.

lognoronon
12-13-07, 10:13 AM
Most games are waaaaaaaay too short. Then again I'm the guy that likes a 100 hour RPG.

ViN86
12-13-07, 10:17 AM
?

only about 8-10 hours for me.

ViN86
12-13-07, 10:18 AM

I play maybe a few hours every other night and I usually keep two or three games "on the go". Lately new ones keep coming out so fast that I can't keep up. Know how many games I've got installed and "on the go" right now?... Nine!

With that in mind, I'm forced to cut my numbers and it's driving me nuts. So many good moments in gaming I'll never see because there's no time.

Stalker is too damn long. Hellgate is too damn long. THE ORANGE BOX is too ******* long! I even skipped the first game and went straight to Ep1 and I STILL haven't got to the tripod bit after what feels like DAYS of gameplay!

There are precious few exceptions in my eye. Crysis was too short and Gears of War could have done with some more maps. Bioshock was about right and Portal was tuned to perfection.

But the rest of you programmers out there: take note. Shorten your games! Quality not quantity!

Love to all,

T'ingding
saying games are too long is like asking your boss to decrease your salary cause he pays you too much. :headexplode:

conroejoe
12-13-07, 10:20 AM
We've had a good gaming drought for so long. So shelve some of the games, take your time and play them into the summer who cares. They are worth the play through no need to shorten games cause a few people cannot keep up. No one said you had to finish them all before xmas or anything.

Thingding
12-13-07, 10:48 AM
saying games are too long is like asking your boss to decrease your salary cause he pays you too much. :headexplode:

ha ha ha but seriously you never got two thirds of the way through a game and thought "well I'm fed up of this but I gotta keep going in case I miss something cool"?

This could be a whole separate rant about game endings. I slogged through four crap levels of Lost Planet just to see the end sequence and it wasn't worth it. TOO LONG. Charge us 15 quid instead of 30 and only give us six stages.

A good game never outstays its welcome. Portal knew when you'd had enough.

And conroejoe what happens to us if the onslaught of new games never ends? Four more grade A titles and I'll have to quit my job to make time for them all! Six more and no more girlfriend! Ten more and I'll have to order takeaway for the next six months just to keep my head above water!

nekrosoft13
12-13-07, 11:11 AM
Nope. Just right IMO. Now FEAR, that was far too long. Nekro's point rings true. A truely good game can't be too long. HL2 a good example.

straglehold, i liked the level design, with entire level being destructable, but game was to long, bot old and boring fast.

nwn2, kotor2, witcher, jade empire etc.. while the games are long, they are to short for me. good story, i just don't want it to end.

SlieTheSecond
12-13-07, 11:12 AM
Uninstall your other 8 games until you finish the other one.

IMO games are way too short. They should be longer. But I don't play 9 of them at the same time either.

asd
12-13-07, 11:15 AM
ha ha ha but seriously you never got two thirds of the way through a game and thought "well I'm fed up of this but I gotta keep going in case I miss something cool"?

This could be a whole separate rant about game endings. I slogged through four crap levels of Lost Planet just to see the end sequence and it wasn't worth it. TOO LONG. Charge us 15 quid instead of 30 and only give us six stages.

A good game never outstays its welcome. Portal knew when you'd had enough.

And conroejoe what happens to us if the onslaught of new games never ends? Four more grade A titles and I'll have to quit my job to make time for them all! Six more and no more girlfriend! Ten more and I'll have to order takeaway for the next six months just to keep my head above water!

My advise is that you better stay away from the RPG games, for example, games like titan quest, nwn2, TES4, gothic3 and Dungeon Lord will surely make your head explOooord, like this one --->> :headexplode: :headexplode:

LurkerLito
12-13-07, 11:25 AM
Thingding you sound like it's not so much the length of the game that your complaining about but more that you have less time to actually play them all to completion. I know where your coming from and the solution is simple, just buy games only after you're done with the games you're playing. I was similar for a while I'd buy pretty much all the hyped games at release till one day I had a stack of installed, played only once games and started thinking how can anyone possibly play all these till the end. Couple that with fact that by the time you get to play the game it will cost about 1/2 the price you paid for it to sit on your shelf and eat HD space, you will see that it is just a bad idea in general to buy so many games just because they came out.

Just because a game is long doesn't mean you have to finish it now. Take your time, don't be drawn into everyone on forums like these saying I finished it in a day. Some people have less time some have more time to devote to playing games. Learn to manage your time efficiently and you'll see games are (in general) getting shorter for the price we are paying.

And the onslaught of games always has an end. There are no game companies who have the resources to release a constant stream of grade A titles for more than one maybe 2 quarters a year. If you look the only time they release grade A titles in bulk is the 4th quarter of every year so they can try to get the Christmas shopper's money.

Thingding
12-13-07, 11:49 AM

Just because a game is long doesn't mean you have to finish it now. Take your time, don't be drawn into everyone on forums like these saying I finished it in a day. Some people have less time some have more time to devote to playing games. Learn to manage your time efficiently and you'll see games are (in general) getting shorter for the price we are paying.

And the onslaught of games always has an end. There are no game companies who have the resources to release a constant stream of grade A titles for more than one maybe 2 quarters a year. If you look the only time they release grade A titles in bulk is the 4th quarter of every year so they can try to get the Christmas shopper's money.

True and true.

Like I say I'm a casual fish in a hardcore pond. I actually like consolitus ridden games cos hey I don't have an xbox. And I don't want upgradable stats in guitar hero I just want to rock hard (tasty abs washerboard style).

But we're all here cos we know PC games are the best, I just think too demanding of your time. Hellgate = great but I can tell after ten hours that I'm going to need another ten at least before my poor level 14 tank (Lady Lacerator) can afford the stats to wield the sword I just configured (yes I know I suck her willpower is overloaded).

Nobody else wish the good stuff came that little bit quicker? Or should I change the thread title to "Is Thingding Lazy Because He Refuses To Work For Reward? <poll>" :D

Athena
12-13-07, 11:52 AM

Love to all,

T'ingding

That has to be the worst logic I have ever heard. Sports cars go too fast? Good food tastes too good? Hot gals are too pretty?

wow that is all I can say. wow

Monolyth
12-13-07, 11:55 AM
Games are too short, course I'm with most RPG'ers that could play games for 100+hrs.

hirantha
12-13-07, 11:57 AM
i cant believe people complain when its long and they complain when its short... how the hell they ever gonna satisfy you all?

Destroy
12-13-07, 12:11 PM
Shorten your games!

Oh a big HELL NO!!

LORD-eX-Bu
12-13-07, 12:16 PM
play one game at a time, once you finish that buy another. Pretty soon you'll be caught up, whats the big problem?

methimpikehoses
12-13-07, 12:22 PM
My lightning rod is too long. Games are too short.