PDA

View Full Version : strange question

wikipoo2
12-14-07, 03:48 PM
hey guys i want to know if this is possible

i have 2 computers, computer A: has a 8800gts g92 and a psu of 550w with two 6 pin connectors (SLI RDY).
computer B: has a psu of 300w....i have a 7950gt...but i know that 300w are not enough to power up that gfx card

\so my question is.....can i connect the 7950 gt to computer "B" using the extra 6 pin connector of computer "A"

Pls tell me.....i dont want to buy another psu:(

dxx
12-15-07, 02:42 PM
There's no reason why it wouldn't work. A PSU is just a big AC adaptor with multiple outputs and voltages, and it really doesn't care what draws power from it.

mythy
12-15-07, 03:36 PM
it would work.. But you have to post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

CaptNKILL
12-15-07, 04:15 PM
This is one of those things that I wouldn't try with any hardware that I intended to keep using.

It'll probably work, but modern PCs and graphics cards aren't designed to work that way. Your motherboard (ie, one computer) is meant to control its power supply. If it can't control all of the power its using, it isn't working as intended.

It may work, but the likely hood of damaging something is significantly higher when your talking about rigging stuff together like this.

dxx
12-15-07, 05:50 PM
This is one of those things that I wouldn't try with any hardware that I intended to keep using.

It'll probably work, but modern PCs and graphics cards aren't designed to work that way. Your motherboard (ie, one computer) is meant to control its power supply. If it can't control all of the power its using, it isn't working as intended.

It may work, but the likely hood of damaging something is significantly higher when your talking about rigging stuff together like this.

Since when have motherboards had any control over the power supply units, besides that of being able to trigger the full power-up and initiate sleep and power-down?

SH64
12-15-07, 05:54 PM
It could result in problmes.

i once connected my 7950GX2 from a different PSU & the drivers recognized it as a Quadro FX5500 :headexplode:

dxx
12-15-07, 06:42 PM
It could result in problmes.

i once connected my 7950GX2 from a different PSU & the drivers recognized it as a Quadro FX5500 :headexplode:

Nothing to do with the PSU there - it'll be the card being misidentified by the INF file accompanying the driver set.

Bman212121
12-15-07, 06:57 PM
It will most likely work, but as stated I wouldn't do that as a long term solution. It's one thing to have two PSU's on one pc, but having two computer plugged into each other could cause issues. Here is a good example, you reboot the PC that is powering your video card, and the other pc is going to lock up because it's video card is going to lose power for a second or two. Also, if somehow there is a surge of power on one pc, it can backfeed into the other one and fry components.

jeffmd
12-15-07, 07:18 PM
It would work fine, although 500 watts leaves very little power to both cards, if you were running computer B, I would disconnect the video card in computer A. Gaming on both at the same time is highly illadvised.

LORD-eX-Bu
12-15-07, 07:24 PM
jAkUp had to use two different PSUs for his tri-SLI setup at first so I don't see how doing this would be bad. I used two different PSUs when I was leak testing my loop and doing some other stuff before I closed everything up and finished.

Bman212121
12-15-07, 07:29 PM
jAkUp had to use two different PSUs for his tri-SLI setup at first so I don't see how doing this would be bad. I used two different PSUs when I was leak testing my loop and doing some other stuff before I closed everything up and finished.

Using 2 PSUs on one pc works (I've done this as well when I had to RMA a psu), but I'm not so sure about using 2 psus weaved between 2 pcs. It will work but I would be concerned about power backfeeding from one source to the other.

SH64
12-15-07, 07:37 PM
Nothing to do with the PSU there - it'll be the card being misidentified by the INF file accompanying the driver set.
Nope when i reverted back to the case PSU , it recognized the card correctly.

rage10
12-16-07, 01:48 PM
(w/opics)

honestjohn
12-16-07, 02:21 PM
hey guys i want to know if this is possible

i have 2 computers, computer A: has a 8800gts g92 and a psu of 550w with two 6 pin connectors (SLI RDY).
computer B: has a psu of 300w....i have a 7950gt...but i know that 300w are not enough to power up that gfx card

\so my question is.....can i connect the 7950 gt to computer "B" using the extra 6 pin connector of computer "A"

Pls tell me.....i dont want to buy another psu:(

I wouldn't advise it either. It could work or you could end up buying a lot more than a new power supply. :firedevil If you try it, you should make a youtube vid and post it. You can get a high quality Corsair PSU for about $75 by the way.

CaptNKILL
12-17-07, 06:12 AM
Since when have motherboards had any control over the power supply units, besides that of being able to trigger the full power-up and initiate sleep and power-down?

Thats all I was referring to. As Bman said:

Here is a good example, you reboot the PC that is powering your video card, and the other pc is going to lock up because it's video card is going to lose power for a second or two. Also, if somehow there is a surge of power on one pc, it can backfeed into the other one and fry components.

If anything happens to the "host" PC, it will put the other PC's components in a situation that the designers most likely didn't plan for.